Homebrew Record Cleaners...Secret Formulas???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tristan, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristan

Tristan Member Thread Starter

Hey gang,
    I was just wondering what formulas some of you in-the-know types are using to clean your Lps with? Presently, I just use the Disc Doctor and I have found it to be a superb product. However, my curiosity has definitely got the best of me. Would you kindly take a moment to share some of your secrets, pretty please?
    :shh:

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

This is a topic of heavy debate on the forum. Many heated debates have been started over threads like this one. Do a forum search on record cleaning, and you will see what I mean, and get your answers.

No need to stir up the arguments again!

3. Tristan

Joe,
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate your candor, however I'm not looking for a hot debate or feud. Just simply want to know what homebrew stuff people out there use. While the search for "record cleaners" did produce some good results, many responded with commercially manufactured products. I am looking specifically for homebrew formulas. Please feel free to share, and I promise this won't get ugly!

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Glass Plus. Really. A GREAT cleaner, and one of the few that doesn't contain ammonia, so it's OK for vinyl records. Apply Glass Plus, remove. Then wash record thoroughly with distilled water (best to use a vacuum cleaning machine for second step, if you have one, as with any two step process).

After all is said and done, I don't think you'll find a better record cleaner than glass plus. Really.

Of course, you can spend 100x the price of glass plus for "secret" record formulations. The choice is yours.

Kwad

6. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Glass Plus

I, too, have tried "Glass Plus" with GREAT results !
    I use a velvet style hand brush to clean grooves with Glass Plus.

Flush the grooves with warm tap water in the sink. Towel excess water off.

Then use distilled water on the playing surface, using another (different) velvet brush
    on the record.

Finally vacuum record on Nitty gritty machine.

It makes for one clean record my friend.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

...white vinegar for old records...:thumbsup:

8. audio

audio New Member

Well said, Joe. It's all been covered before and it's in the archives. I can't even participate in these threads anymore because some of this stuff makes me so upset....as you all know. My advice in brief and my last post in this thread....STICK WITH DISC DOCTOR. Good luck.

9. Metralla

There's been a bit of interest in an enzyme-based vinyl record cleaner on AudiogoN. The developer has been giving out samples and people have been reporting back that it works very well. Although the Disc Doctor products are highly thought of and safe, prior to these coming out folks did not think products like RRL could be improved on. So it's good to keep an open mind that new formulae can come out to topple the market leader.

10. I still haven't got the nerve to run a record underneath the faucet. Is there any chance of damaging the label? Assuming so, how do you avoid this?

11. Metralla

12. Tristan

Well, I wouldn't recommend it. However, I do sometimes run an Lp under my Brita attachment to the faucet (mainly to rinse Disc Doctor off the Lps). The nice, slow stream of the Brita water (you may adjust your faucet's pressure to control the flow of H20) is such that you do not have to get the label wet at all. Here's how I do it: I place the Lp under the Brita attachment, slowly rotating the vinyl underneath the slow flow of H20 with both hands on the edge of the Lp, holding it at a slight downward angle, so that the H20 can run off while I'm rotating the vinyl. Hope this helps you out!
    Cheers,
    Tristan

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I use the Higgins Label safe contraption, and for 18$ it works amazingly well. The label stays DRY, and you can get the rest of the record as wet as you like. he sells them on EBAY. nice guy, also.

14. Grant

Anyone try that Groovy stuff from Bags Unlimited? The label says that it contains alcohol, but i'm thinking that it may work for bad cases that you just want to make a copy of, not to play for pleasure.

15. Tristan

Here's the Link. The groove stuff definitely looks interesting. I'm willing to give it a try!

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=16

16. RetroSmith

Trist, if it contains alcohol, it probably is just a generic formula that you can make yourself.

try:

1 parts distilled water
    1 part 90% Isopropal Alcohol
    5 drops dishwater detergent (dawn works better than others)

Works well for me.

17. I use to make "homebrews", but then, I ask myself: "why be so cheap and taking chances on my valuable records, leave it to the professionals". ;)

18. Grant

Either i'm not letting this Groovy stuff soak on the record long enough, or it's totally worthless! I'll try some more experiments, then go for something else.

But, it does make the record look good!

19. Tristan

Well, looks are great for females (and Lps!) but I'm about the sound quality. Did it improve the character of the sound at all? If its totally worthless, please let us know! Ripoff products, eww they really p*** me off! :realmad:

20. Grant

Let's put it this way, the vinegar worked better...

21. RetroSmith

I'm not surprised. There are a lot of budget record cleaners that are basically water and rubbing alcohol . Cost them like .02 an ounce and they sell it for 10$ an ounce.

Thats why I make my own, I know exactly whats in there and at what strength.

22. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I've posted this here before. I've been making my own using the Library of Congress formula (except I leave out the ammonia). It seems to work as well as Disc Doctor to me. The chemicals aren't cheap, but it takes only a small amount to make a gallon. I think my outlay for the chemicals was about 70 bucks, but I'm pretty sure I'm set for life with record cleaning fluid. Anyway here's the link.

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/record.html

23. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I saw that before. And yes, I've heard people quite happy. Besides, would you think you'd stop cleaning records in 5 years? Nah!

24. Tristan

Bingo! Way to go, Danny! This is along the lines of what I was looking for when starting this thread!
    Keep 'em coming, guys!

25. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Tristan,

If you want me to send you a sample before putting out the cash pm me and I ship a small sample to you.

Danny

edit: I mention this because everyone seems to have their own opinions of what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't want you to put out the cash and say "this sucks". This way you can compare it to other stuff. You know, I like it but your YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.