Kens Records and Venus Records

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Keith Trott, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Keith Trott

Keith Trott Active Member Thread Starter

Can anyone remember "Kens Records" in Aldershot Hampshire and "Venus Records", Downing Street, Farnham Surrey?....
    What ever happened to them ?.....I moved away from Farnham in 1986 and can remember visiting both shops regularly in the early eighties. I can't actually remember the street location of Kens....would be interesting to know what's there now.
    Two great record shops that sadly disappeared.

2. Mr JLS

Mr JLS Member

Prior to moving to Downing Street, Venus Records occupied a smaller unit at the eastern end of the Woolmead Centre, facing onto Woolmead Road. I believe it had a sudden closing down was at the end of the 80's or early 90's.

Ken's Records shop was, I believe, on the corner of Upper Union Street and Barrack Road. I was told that before it moved there it was run as a market stall somewhere else. Don't know what happened to it.

3. City2

City2 New Member

Hi,
    I worked at Venus Records in Farnham when it was in the woolmead in the late 70’s. Worked at Venus records Tunsgate Guildford that sadly closed then transferred to the Downing Street branch. Fantastic memories. That’s when records shops were record shops and not like they are today.

mur likes this.
  4. Keith Trott

Thanks for info and appologies for late reply....I've been overseas...
    I've googled the kens Records location on Street View and it looks like the "Mp German"/"Lali Gurash" premises is there now. I'm not sure which one of these two business is current as google pulls up both images.
    I never new that Venus were at the Woolmead....I started buying LPs in about 1981 and they were firmly established in downing Street at that time so obviously well before my time. Both proper record shops. Shame they're gone.

5. Keith Trott

Hi
    Thanks for the info....appologies for the late reply I've been overseas.
    Interesting info regarding working at Venus Records....it's strange how I can remember my first ever vinyl purchase in there "Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies"....shame it closed...a proper record shop. At the time I believe also that "Boots" chemist had an audio department.

6. markinhants

markinhants New Member

Ken sold Ken's Records around 1986/7 but he opened a new shop in Camberley in 1987 - "The Rock Box" - which I'm delighted to say is still going strong today.