Little House on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 18, 2018.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think one of Michael Landon's other characters, the "hot headed" Little Joe Cartwright may have shed a tear or two on "Bonanza".

I think Michael Landon could just be an emotional guy, and rightly so after the crap childhood he endured.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes and his alcoholism did not help any. : ( I love Michael Landon...regardless, he tried his best to give us great TV and IMHO he succeeded!

Ms. Daisy and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Yes, you would have found American men in the 19th century "weird". The rules for proper male behavior in front of others were incredibly restrictive. The novels by Charles Dickens and Mark Twain do a great job of showing how men behaved back then.

unclefred and MrGrumpy like this.
  4. Michael

stop, you are making me cry.

5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love the cold weather/blizzard episodes

905 likes this.
  6. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Including the ones where the grass was green and there were leaves on the trees.

yesstiles likes this.
  7. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I am too. Dickens and Twain were fantastic novelists!

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The best is one of the last TV movies which takes place at Christmas time. They were clearly tired of the show and not up to faking winter. So the movie began with a long montage of sunny skies and melting snow, with Charles Ingalls narrating how spring came early that year! In December. And everyone is walking around outside without coats when it’s clearly summer.

yesstiles, troggy and Scowl like this.
  9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I still laugh when I think of a comment on a Colin & Justin home decorating show (before I was burned out on almost all such types of shows by repetition and screams of 'oh my god')... they were in Canada and referred to some couple's existing abode as a "Little House On The Scary". :laugh:

I'll still watch those guys actually, not sure about LHOTP, though I sincerely loved that show way back.

10. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The first season episode "Christmas at Plum Creek" featured patches of snow on the ground that were steaming in the scorching the Simi Valley sun. For a scene at the end of the episode however they really did a great job of getting a thick blanket of snow everywhere and making it look something like Minnesota in the winter. I would bet crews spent all night pouring layers of snow and they shot the scene first thing in the morning before it started to boil.

11. Michael

without a doubt! and Twain's comedy was second to none...and who does not love Dickens!

12. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Season five is kind of odd. Everyone abandoned Walnut Grove because of "the railroad" (???) and then they had those city episodes that dragged the ratings down. After six episodes they all moved back to Walnut Grove and in two episodes, good old Walnut Grove and everyone in it is just like it was before. Hell, Harriett's cousin even moves there to open up a newspaper! What happened to that railroad?

yesstiles likes this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It's kind of like friendly aliens in Space: 1999 Season 2; they gone. :laugh:

14. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

And what did the railroad do? We know from the first season that Walnut Grove is some distance from a railroad because they had to take a stagecoach to get Mary to a train station. So did they move the train tracks even farther away from Walnut Grove? Did they abandon those tracks and stations and lay down new ones farther away? I guess I'll have to pull out season four and rewatch the last episode which apparently explains what was about to happen.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

16. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Saw this in Burbank the other day. (Too apathetic to honk.)

[​IMG]

Michael, beccabear67 and longdist01 like this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

You're welcome.

It's cool that the show has maintained such a following over the years.

I don't know if it airs anywhere around here or not, I'm thinking not. One of the local TV stations used to air it for their E/I (Educational & Informative) programming.

We have a local historical park that had "Little House" days yearly for quite awhile-I don't know if they have resumed them or not since the pandemic restrictions aren't in place any longer. I remember they had Charlotte Stewart and Alison Arngrim as guests (though not at the same time). Those are the two I remember seeing on the news as being guests, although I know there were others.

Ms. Daisy and Mark B. like this.
  19. Eric Richard

Eric Richard Forum Resident

I wish the show would get another remastering. The current one is okay, but they left in all the black leader between reels in some episodes, added new credits to the start of others, and there is some film damage on earlier shows that is not visible on the older cut versions.

Ms. Daisy and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. Michael

those original DVD sets were unwatchable...The BD are great...I'm good.

Eric Richard likes this.
  22. Michael

I'm honkin'

23. Michael

it's very easy to do...

24. Grand_Ennui

Ya gotta wonder though, if people honk at them do they get mad thinking "Why are you honking at me?" or do they always remember that they have that message...

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

I'm leaning towards they know why they are being honked at...

Grand_Ennui likes this.