In the market for a new equipment rack - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DEG, Apr 16, 2024.

1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

I am not mechanically inclined...nor do I have the tools.

2. DEG

I ordered the Monoprice! Thanks all for your help.

TwiceFan, bajaed and GyroSE like this.
  3. DEG

This is why I need a new rack:

[​IMG]

4. Ryan Strasil

Ryan Strasil Well-Known Member

Looks like you need more than just a rack!

bluesky, bever70 and DEG like this.
  5. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Wow! So sorry to see that. I pray everyone made it out safely!

bluesky and DEG like this.
  6. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

That sux

bluesky and DEG like this.
  7. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Y'all... Consider placing Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Corners under your racks. Isolates the rack from vibrations down to 3Hz.

Then Seismic pods under each component as they vibrate individually as well.

8. Warrel Dane

Warrel Dane Forum Resident

OP ,you probably have found out how crappy insurance really is when ya need. Most people dont ever really think about thier coverage and all the hidden fine print and caps.

Some of us have very expensive systems that would never be covered, unless you went to a specialty insurer as a 3rd party rider.

DEG likes this.
  9. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Here is another good "hack" for the double wide monolith 4ft racks.

I found these small shelves that fit perfectly on the inside. Perfectly for half size and small units, a Freya fits perfectly. The smaller and longer ones matched together makes it a perfect fit across the length...but it's not deep enough for a full size unit to stand on but a full size unit will fit under the longer one long as it's not a thick tape deck or something like that.

I guess the exact ones are no longer available. I put tge dimensions so you can get an idea

These together fit perfectly on the inside of the shelf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

woody, gakerty and bajaed like this.
  10. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Great idea. Do you have a link (ie Amazon or other site) for the discontinued product to see if they offer similar alternatives?

ChefBrunch likes this.
  11. ChefBrunch

Thet are monitor stands , I see some good alternatives

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

12. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Don't hesitate returning it or rejecting delivery if you see damage. While the product is wonderful, packaging is what you would expect. Mine was fine, the box was beat up but everything OK. What size & color did you order?

EDIT: Once you open the box and begin assembly, it will be near impossible and a royal pain to get it back in the box. Inspect it well at delivery.

13. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have a personal articles policy for my HiFi, in addition to my home owner's policy.

If I ever had a fire, that's not would I would worry about. Rather, the 5000 LPs I've been collecting for the last 50 years.

G E likes this.
  14. ChefBrunch

the directions , follow them carefully. lol

but seriously, I have 4 double wides and 2 singles mis matched into 3 strange variations, you would not believe how hard it is to master the algorithm for customizing the multiple shelves and using all pieces....I can't remember how many times I had to take them back apart and start over.
    they work out great but, its a jigsaw puzzle from hell.

15. J-Flo

J-Flo Well-Known Member

I had a large custom “monitor stand” (really more like a short, wide coffee table) made for me by someone on Etsy to my exact measurements to sit on top of an antique marble top dresser and provide a deep and wide shelf. My turntable and preamp/CD player stack fit comfortably on top (it’s strong and isolation is good) and the power amp/phono pre/tuner/streamer-DAC below. It won’t hold up in an earthquake but it works for the moment. Cost was about $250.

16. dt6366

dt6366 Well-Known Member

I just got one of their shelves a few weeks ago. I don’t have a bad thing to say about it. It was easy to build, looks great, and very solid. I have to warn you though. Be very careful unpacking it, check all the pieces, and save all the packaging. If there is one piece missing or broken, the do not stock parts, you will have to box the entire rack back up and ship it back. I had one small piece that wasn’t manufactured correctly and due to their parts policy they wanted me to ship it back. To be fair they make it easy to return. Boxing it back up is not as easy as it sounds though. ChefBrunch was nice enough to offer a spare piece. In the end my friend fabricated and added the missing mount. Again I love the rack and would buy another one. Just be careful with the packaging.

GyroSE and Jon1969 like this.
  17. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

I’ve seen you mention this before and I must say, I have absolutely no idea how you accomplished customization without detailed instructions!

That said, I think the op will be very happy with the Monoprice Monolith. It really is a very nice, heavy and sturdy rack at an incredible price.

Jon1969 likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think y0u posted this before. No one was hurt, right? Still, a freakin' nightmare.

DEG likes this.
  19. ChefBrunch

A look at the man cave

to get a single wide and double wide to line up in height with 7" and 9" sections I had to use legs from both on both to the desired height on the main audio wall, then the giant shelf unit for LP's and other storage is a monster, its very stable and I'm not worried about it at all, I used all the biggest parts and most braces for it and sacrificed double braces on the audio shelf, but its all solid as hell as you know if you have these shelfs.

all 4 LP parts into one giant monster shelf

[​IMG]

the audio racks were a nightmare notice the weird layout, it can only be done this way to achieve the same height

[​IMG]

and the 3 leftover "amp stands",,,,if you have 6 racks you always have 6 racks if all pieces used, its just a jigsaw to get there, so if you want to customize them I do recomend getting at least 1 of the single wides and better 2 simply for more parts.

if you need extra feet parts hit me up , I have no use for these I don't think ever, but I will switch them around again sometime, think I might split the big tower in 2 soon, take the top off the 4 LP shelfs for a second stand for some stuff.

[​IMG]

I think monoprice should offer a few more models with these parts, especially LP stand, a 5 high single wide and double wide versions off all full supported 13 inch spaced stands designed just for LP storage.

I might build out a single wide LP storage shelf sometime to see how it works out.

DEG and TwiceFan like this.
  20. styler

styler Senior Member

can 100% recommend Core Audio Designs. expensive but so worth it. he'll build to your specs.

21. Warrel Dane

Warrel Dane Forum Resident

I hear that! I can’t imagine having that many.
    That 450ish I have would be hard to replace but, at least id get a check and can prove a good documented history of what I have in them.

22. DEG

I barely made it out. The house was engulfed with thick smoke @ 6:32AM on May 26 last year. Very slowly being rebuilt. It's been the biggest hassle imaginable...

23. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

That's horrible but thank God you made it out. I can just imagine it's a huge hassle dealing with a penny pinching insurance company. Best of luck to you in getting your life rebuilt.

bdfin, DEG, woody and 1 other person like this.