Columbo Blu-ray Box Sets (Original & Return) tentatively scheduled for Summer 2023 by Kino Lorber

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheAbsentMind, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Timos

Timos Forum resident

All excellent choices.

Juggsnelson and Pete Puma like this.
  2. Frank Mills

Frank Mills Forum Resident

I've just purchased a multi-region blu ray player just so I can watch the new set. Where did you order the set from?

I've a friend kindly sending me this from Canada as I wasn't sure anywhere UK based would have it.

The new blu ray player has also meant I've bought a load of Peter Falk's other movies. Watched 'Mikey and Nicky' recently which is a great movie. I don't really know Falk outside of Columbo so I'm enjoying the different roles.

3. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I believe Peter Falk won an Oscar for his performance as a gangster in Murder, Inc. (1960) That one might be worth picking up - probably cheap, too.

edit: no, he was nominated but didn’t win.

4. Frank Mills

Thanks for the tip. I've not come across 'Murder, inc' yet. I have 'The In Laws' and 'Husbands' on blu ray now, just need to find the time for a double bill.

Might have to re-read Falks' biography too.

All this needs to happen before the Columbo set arrives, otherwise it could be a while.

Timos likes this.
  5. I actually originally ordered it from Amazon.com and arrived on 20th December 2023 (the day after it's release) because Amazon.co.uk had it listed as "currently unavailable" . The one from Amazon.com wasn't sealed and was in a terrible state with regards to the packaging. I sent it back to Amazon.com in the US and got a refund. Then it became available on Amazon.co.uk for a reasonable price so bought another copy which was brand new and sealed.

I'm just hoping that one day soon they realise Series 8-10 in the same way and scan and remaster the negatives in 4K.

Even better, they must release the directly 4K masters on 4K Blu-ray. It will happen, but it might not be for another four to five years time.

I purchased a Laser Blu-Ray Player with Multi Region HDMI Digital 7.1 for a very reasonable price. It purchased it from Australia. All I needed was a US to UK mains adaptor as it had a US plug and now it works fine. It didn't work at first but it turns out I needed to put a code into the machine. I emailed the eBay seller who I purchased it from and he told me I needed to put this four digit code into the machine first. It was fine after that.

6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I also rated Last Salute to the Commodore as one of my least favorites until I viewed it again recently. I really enjoyed how it played out and differed from the formula a bit.

Timos and Simon A like this.
  7. And another plug for my favorite reboot episode: Columbo Goes To College. The murderers are are a creepy updates of Leopold and Loeb, though in this case, their motive was not to create a perfect crime, but to pass a college course. Robert Cult gets a small role in this one, which is nice, though I wish he returned to the series as a killer.

wayneklein and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. Frank Mills

According to the Kino Lorber Twitter account the second set (1989-2003) is set for release July 16th. Seems to have fewer discs so should be cheaper.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. Here’s hoping they can add some commentary tracks as I love to watch the episodes twice one for the show, one for the commentary tracks (when they are good).

TheAbsentMind likes this.
  10. Robert Culp is one of favorite actors bar none. I do wish Hollywood had offered him more film roles as well.