Beach Boys Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 on CD - which mono mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JWB, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWB

JWB New Member Thread Starter

I remember reading that some of the mono mixes on these two CD's are mono LP mixes and not the single mixes - does anybody remember which ones - and if any CD's have the correct ones?

2. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

The non-single album tracks like "Catch A Wave", and "The Warmth Of The Sun" are included in their original mono album mixes. Either way, you're getting a Brian Wilson mix!

3. JWB

I remember someone saying that one of the tracks was an LP mix instead of a single mix. I was wondering which song and which version is which. I would do a search but I obviously can't.

4. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Well it depends on which version of the 20 Good Vibrations you get. The original version (released in 1995 IIRC) has some stereo versions thrown in. The most widely availible version along with 20 More Good Vibrations has all the right mono mixes.

5. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

The song on the 1999 edition of 20 Good Vibrations - Best Of Volume 1 which is a mono LP mix instead of the correct single mix is the song "Fun Fun Fun." The difference between the mono LP mix and the single mix on that tune is in the bridge: The guitar is noticeably louder than the organ on the mono LP mix, while the guitar and organ are of equal volume on the single mix.

Unfortunately, the original 1995 version of 20 Good Vibrations also contains the WRONG versions of "Be True To Your School" and "Help Me Rhonda."

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Find the original cheapo CD on Capitol of Best Of The Beach Boys (the one with the studio shots on the cover from 1966). This is all mono, no No Noise, etc. Cheap and easy to find.

7. JWB

That's it, thanks! I couldn't remember which track it was.

For the single mix of "Fun Fun Fun", do you mean?

8. Steve Hoffman

Well, yeah and LITTLE DEUCE COUPE, WENDY, LITTLE HONDA, SURFIN USA, etc.

9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

So is they used the actual single mono mix on Best Of (as opposed to the album mono mix, which is presumably the one that appears as a bonus track on the two-fer, on the box set, and on the Greatest Hits Volume 1 disc)? Is the single mono mix available anywhere else on CD?

I'll have to admit, I was totally ignorant to the fact that there were two mono mixes of this song until I read it on the forum. (I think I actually own the single - I seem to recall the b-side, "Why Do Fools Fall In Love," is also a slightly different mix/edit than the mono album version.)

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Do you mean this one?

Attached Files:

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The single mix of "Fun Fun Fun" appears as a bonus track on the Surfer Girl/Shut Down Vol. 2 twofer, and also on the GV box set.
    The mono album mix appears on the Made In USA CD and on the 1999 "Greatest Hits Vol. 1" CD.

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I seem to remember the single version has the great harmony vocal intro that is missing from the regular album version and is possibly a different mix . I can't check until I get home next month - anyone have their's handy to check?

:)

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Just compared the two-fer bonus track and the Greatest Hits version. Wow, can't believe I never noticed that before. Cool stuff.

By the way, I noticed on the Greatest Hits version (but not Made In USA), you can hear Brian yelling "3!" (as in "1-2-3-4") before guitars kick in.

I'll give my 45 a spin later. (Gotta hook up my phonograph.) I could extract some sound clips, if someone else could host them...

14. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

15. Steve Hoffman

Yes. But it probably has the mono LP mix of FUN. Haven't checked.

16. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I thought Made in the U.S.A. was also a good one for the correct mixes. :confused:

17. Steve Hoffman

It is but it's missing a few.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, didn't you say in the past that John Kraus did the single mixes, at least for a time?

19. Steve Hoffman

He did FUN and the few that were done at Capitol..

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"Done" at Capitol meaning the earlier stuff that was recorded at the Tower?

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...yup.

22. Steve Hoffman

That seems to be the mix that Brian preferred.

Or, the Capitol dub engineer goofed in 1966 and transferred the wrong mix. (Wow, how could that ever happen?) :sigh:

23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

You were right on the money with this recommendation. Sounds great! :righton:

I like the comparable tracks even more than the ones on the Made In USA CD, because the bass is fuller. Especially Surfin' USA and Surfer Girl never sounded as good in mono.

There are some problems with Kiss Me Baby on this CD; the lead vocals shivers and sounds "scratched". I don't know how they did it, but this one sounds much smoother and clearer on the remastered Today/Summer Days twofer.

24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Excuse me! while I jump in here I'm interested in comments regarding 50 greatest hits 1990 a 3CD set made in Canada-It was $10 for the set and it sounds different to the tracks on the Gastwirts credited as Digital Assembly by Ron McMaster (was no noise used?) :help:

25. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

That is because Capitol was unable to locate the actual mono master tape for "Kiss Me Baby" (which turned out to be misplaced) in time for this BEST OF... reissue; thus, that track had to be folded down from the post-Duophonic fake stereo which was done for the '70s reissues of THE BEACH BOYS TODAY! (retitled DANCE, DANCE, DANCE).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.