Blind Faith Self Titled: Is it just murky?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Danny, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny

Danny Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey All,

I was listening to a US Atco Vinyl pressing (mfd. by Atlantic, 1841 in perimeter) of this last night. And outside of "Do What You Like" the album just sounds kind of murky. Is it the original production? Is it Olympic Studios? Do I just have a crappy pressing? Is there a CD or Vinyl pressing that sounds considerably better than the others?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Morgan Studios, isn't it?

Try the MFSL CD.

3. Danny

Thanks Steve. I just looked it up and it was both Olympic and Morgan. :thumbsup:

4. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Steve already made the recommendation for MFSL, but that Atco pressing was murky, however wasn't that fairly common for a lot of Atlantic-related albums during 1969?

The MFSL version is very clear and you hear the fullness of the music rather than it being clogged down by compression. It's also true to the master tape, which (IMHO) cannot be said for the recent Deluxe Edition.

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I have the MFSL CD (the MFSL LP is nice, too) and think it's swell. I used to have the original Dennis Drake CD and remember it sounding pretty good. Definitely cheaper...

6. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I bought it from yourmusic last year and they sent me the Drake version which is OOP I believe.

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

On vinyl, the UK gatefold is the way to go. On cd, the MFSL version is best. (I own all versions except the second US release.)

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'll be daring and say I believe the real sound came from the way elements were mic'd. "Do What You Like" at the moment before the drum solo, it sounded like people were both playing and murmuring off-mic, songs like "Well All Right" and "Had To Cry Today" are really powerful but "Can't Find My Way Home" has a lot of the sound of the room, not just the instrumentation.....

However a lot of subtle sounds came through and listening casually to a VG copy doesn't give you the pure picture. Once I got the CD when it came out (RSO) it was very exciting to understand what was so "hidden" before...

10. Danny

11. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

Stevie Van Zandt said:
    "Do not buy it"

12. Danny

He's the one who got me started. I heard "Well, All Right" on the link to his show that you posted, and put that record on my cleaning pile. The record itself is in great shape.

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The MFSL is excellent! Great dynamics (Ginger's drums, especially in "Do What You Like"). The postage stamp cover is possibly a good thing, and the lyrics reprinted is a bonus.
    The recording vary - "Had To Cry Today" is a little murky compared with "Do What You Like". Wasn't Morgan responsible for Benefit also? Hmmmmm - murky as well.

14. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Isn't that the band just singing and chanting "do what you like"?

15. Sckott

Yes. Sounds like there's a lot going on off-mic.

Lots of things, I thought, were done to create a space in the recording.

Like that Christopher Walken/BOC skit on SNL.... "Explore the space!"

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My school friend Melissa's father worked at KFI or KMPC (can't remember which) in 1969 and got her a new sealed copy of BLIND FAITH. Much to my surprise she gave it to me. I played it that night and my first thought was: "This sux!"

The sound was terrible, Baker's drums (as usual) sounded like he was playing practice pads, the songs were all moody and Clapton only actually had one blistering solo in the entire album. Hype, I thought! Well, of course I love this album now, as my stereo got better and I discovered British imports and sound improved and so did my opinion of the songs. The overwhelming hype at the time really doomed this group to a fast death. No songs could have possibly survived the expectations of this band.

At any rate, my point was this: Did Atlantic EVER cut a good sounding LP in the late 1960's? I still have that BLIND FAITH LP and I would swear on a stack of Bibles that it has no high frequency information above 6,000 cycles. I mean, geez...

17. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

What's the consensus on the DE?

18. Sckott

Atlantic? Tons.

One that comes to mind is Buffalo Springfield 1st, Stereo... Tons more but that popped in my head...

19. peter

peter Senior Member

I have had a mid-70's RSO gatefold edition (stolen--never replaced); several "original" UK gatefold Polydor copies (great sound) and AFAIK, an undocumented UK A-1/B-1 matrix copy on Polydor, BUT, now get this, with the single US-style censored cover! This is my best sounding copy. Anybody here ever hear of this copy? I sure never did until I found it.

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

PW,
    I actually think the DE sounds pretty good. I like having all of the bonus material too, especially nice to have since this band only lasted one album. To be honest, I've never compared the DE to any other version, so I'm sure that it's VERY possible that there are better sounding versions of the regular album. I know a lot of people here seem to like the MFSL of this title, but for me, I really like having the bonus material, even if the sound is not quite up to par of other CD pressings.

21. peter

peter Senior Member

I have the orig. W.G. CD with the 2 "bonus" tracks and the DE. I have a-b'd. The DE is MUCH better

22. Jerry

I have an A-1/B-1 (420) UK Polydor gatefold version too. I also have a non- gatefold UK RSO black label version, from the RSO "mid-price" series. Also very good quality vinyl. :righton:

23. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I like the DE as well,...I'll have to pull it out and listen to it again. I've haven't heard any other versions, I always thought is sounded really good.

24. Jerry

Quoting myself. Bad strangeness. But to resurrect a thread....

Last Friday I bought a copy of the Drake US Polydor cd. (Above I referred to it as the second US release, the first being the WG RSO with extra tracks. Maybe the Drake is actually the first US release. Anybody know for sure? But I digress.) The Drake, although a little dry-sounding, is not a bad little recording. No noise reduction, nice air and lotsa depth. Ginger's cymbals on "Can't Find My Way Home" explode out of the speakers, then are mixed back, then up again. Cool effects. But better all-around mastering than I was expecting. Gotta love the Drake. (Seinfeld fans?)

25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The first CD pressing (with the extra tracks) was also made in the USA as well as WG as I had a made in the USA copy. Don't know who mastered that one.

The MFSL, for those who haven't heard it, is way worth getting. I see people like the DE, which sounds murky and compressed to my ears. The MFSL CD is as clear as this recording will ever get. Do What You Like seems to be the best recording on the album, and includes the extended coda with all the band making odd comments, murmuring - none of it accidental and all captured perfectly on mike. Well All Right and Can't Find My Way Home have big cymbal crashes throughout that are well preserved on the MFSL and squashed on the DE. Get it while you can afford it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.