Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle 30th Anniversary remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Why not push it back to August 29 so it can come out the same day as Capitol's other low resolution anniversary issue? That will save Joe S. Pack some miles on his pickup truck.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, this Joe Six Pack is buying it. Tell Chad Brandy Snifter he can order some unknown violinists SACD's if he wants.

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Keep the ad....it's been delayed till July 18th! :realmad:

Edit.....nevermind, you're getting a raincheck...guess you already know. :D

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

uh oh....read this:

6. Reggie K

Reggie K New Member

Well, I'm keeping the Target ad, usually the Best Buy cashier dosen't look at the date of the ad when I price match

7. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

Any chance the delay is to put an MLP track on the disc after the negative feedback here and elsewhere after the review copies went out?

8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:angel:

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I thought the same thing, but alas, the specs will not change, according to my source at Capitol...:(

11. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

On a lark, I went to my Target today just to see if I could get a rain-check and what's sitting out in the rack but some copies of the CD/DVD tagged at $19.99. Pick up one and take it to the scanner and it shows the $13.99 sale price. So far so good, then I get to the checkout and it rings up but the checker says "oh wait, this is showing that it is recalled." After pleading ignorance about the delayed release date :angel: and discussions with the manager about it being in the ad for the week I get the bad news that they can't sell it nor can they offer a rain-check. So close but still just out of reach of my two loving arms. :shake:

The sticker on the front shows that it also includes a concert clip. I wonder if they didn't get all of the necessary clearances.

Oh well, it appears that the title did ship so maybe Wal-Mart hasn't gotten the word about the "recall." :shh:

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Why was it recalled?

13. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I went over to Target tonight to see if I might get lucky.

The set wasn't on the shelves - so I proceeded to the
    service counter and asked for raincheck.

The girl seemed friendly and willing to write the raincheck
    but then she said I had to go back to electronics and have
    them look up the inventory number.

I suspected when I tried that - they'd say "no raincheck"

And that's exactly what happened.

I'm still optimistic that the delay is so that a DVD-A
    disc can be mastered (perhaps as an option for a "deluxe"
    set).

I'm completely sympathetic to the idea that there isnt
    space for a hi-res option given that the DVD has a 2
    hour concert video on it.

But there's really very little from preventing the set
    from being "dualdisc plus dvd-v" (with the dualdisc
    having a DVD-A side)...

I can understand the suits still sticking to the "CD plus
    DVD-V" idea... but maybe the artist realized it wasnt
    what he wants when he actually sat down and listened
    to his copy.

14. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

I just picked it up at Best Buy. I haven't listened to the CD, have the DCC so why bother? The DVD is fantastic for what it is. It's main problem is lack of space, it should have been 2 DVDs. There is a 30 minute doc, compression artifacts make it hard to watch on a 100" screen! But great content. Then there is the concert which is 2 hours 10 minutes! No wonder the 5.1 mix is Dolby Digital. The concert is in 5.1 and 2.0, good sound, nice surround mix, not too aggressive. The 5.1 mix of the album is great. This is a reverse case of DSOTM where the previous quad mix was more active. In this case if you like very playful surround mixes, you'll love this. I am really enjoying it! (And the original quad mix of DSOTM on DVD-A!) I don't know why they let me buy it, but it was in the racks, and had about 5 other copies, I'm never this lucky with these things! Even though its DD, it sounds pretty darn good, but still sad its not MLP.

15. Don C

Don C Member

After reading about the recalled Sinatra 8-track tape yesterday, and now hearing that this release that I've been waiting for is recalled, I decided to look for a copy. No problem, Best Buy had several of them in the rack. 22.99 I'll hang on to the receipt for now, if they release a better version soon, hopefully I'll be able to exchange it.

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

You probably should have taken the Target ad with you and saved about $10.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It's sorta funny how I wasnt even going to buy this, but with the "recall" controversy I developed an interest in it and just bought one for store pickup at Best Buy. I'll still try to get a price match when I go over there tomorrow.

18. Don C

Don C Member

I just noticed the title printed on my BB receipt.
    "Rock/Pop - Do Not Use-Fly Like an E"

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Here's my receipt:

Attached Files:

20. Felix Martinez

Ok, folks, a quick follow-up to my other post comparing the DTS-CD and the 30th Anniversary 5.1 mixes:

The "Space Intro" is still truncated on the 30th. My bad. Guess I've been hearing the DTS-CD too many times! The intro runs about 1:13 on the remastered CD, 13 seconds on the DTS-CD, and about 16 seconds on the 30th 5.1 mix. Oh well...

"Take The Money And Run"

There is a phase effect on the crash cymbals on the DTS-CD; no such effect on the 30th.

The DTS-CD keeps the drums in the back, with hi-hat in rear-right; the 30th has the snare and kick up front (a bit strange), toms still in back, hi-hat also in rear-right. Drum rolls on both DTS and 30th go from rear-right to rear-left.

Guitar on both DTS and 30th 5.1 mixes is in the front-left channel; however, the 30th compresses the guitar a bit more and it is less defined.

Claps on both DTS and 30th are placed in the rears.

Lead vox is louder on the 30th.

Compared to the remastered CD, both the DTS and 30th 5.1 mixes are brighter.

The remastered CD starts fading around 2:39 and ends at 2:49. The DTS-CD starts fading around 2:59 and ends around 3:13. The 30th fades and ends like the remastered CD.

"Rock'n Me"

The remastered CD of the original stereo mix and the DTS-CD has the reverb steered to the right - rear-right, in the case of the DTS. The new 30th 5.1 mix is drier and the ambience is not steered.

The slap-back delay on the lead vox is recreated on the 30th and sounds a bit different - I believe the decay is slightly less, not sure...Lead vox is louder on the 30th.

The guitar on the 30th is also on the left - with some spillage into the rear-left.

The low end is rather anemic on both the DTS and 30th 5.1 mixes, compared to other tracks on the album - maybe the DTS has a slight edge (when adjusting for the difference in volume levels).

The DTS is slightly brighter than the 30th.

Back vox are in rear for both the DTS and 30th mixes; however, the 30th back vox are steered a bit more into the rear-left.

The highs are rolled off during the end fade on the DTS.

Both the DTS and 30th end around 3:22. The remastered CD ends around 3:05.

The one big frustrating thing about the 30th is that one cannot FF or RW during a song - only chapter skip. Could this be the cause of the delay of the release - to fix the encoding (if possible)?

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Delay? It already came out and supposedly got recalled.

22. Felix Martinez

I have heard of no recall. My understanding is that the release date was pushed back, and Capitol told me the specs (contents) of the disc will not change. But...they can re-encode and it's technically not a spec change. I hope this is the case...

For those that have the 30th already - can you FF or RW listening to the 5.1 mix?

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

A Best Buy store I was at yesterday claimed they were required to return the discs. That would indicate a recall. If the release date was just pushed back then the discs wouldn't be out already and I wouldn't have one, but I do. See pictures in a previous post.

24. Felix Martinez

I will try to get more info from Capitol. I meant I had heard of no recall to the public as the disc officially has not been released yet. Let's see what I can dig up...

25. Don C

Don C Member

There is a post at Gangster of Love that says it's recalled due to "quality issues"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.