"Nashville Skyline" - Orig. Columbia CD or current remastered CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

2. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I don't think the original used the master tape. I like the remaster better. Still not the greatest sounding album.

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Remaster by a mile.

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

BTW, the SACD is very good.

5. OldJohnRobertson

Can you clarify that? Are you saying that the Columbia CD used a higher generation tape and that the remaster used a 1st or 2nd gen tape?

6. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Like the remaster.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the SACD; that's the first time the original masters were used on anything other than the first LP cutting.

8. OldJohnRobertson

Sounds good. Thanks!

9. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The SACD is superb , SO much better then the original cd, i would say that the the nashville skyline SACD is the most improved remaster of all the dylan's SACD released. Get it.

10. tps

tps Forum Resident

Did they actually FIND the masters of "Nashville Skyline"? I'd heard they were missing. Maybe it was just an old "wives tale". Anyone know the real story?

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have just ordered the SACD version of this album through my local Book World store thanks to this thread.

12. OldJohnRobertson

Here's where I'm confused, are we saying that the 1st generation masters were missing or that there were no 2-track stereo mixdowns at all, regardless of generation? If the latter were true, that would mean that every non-SACD version is a remix...

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is by far my favorite Dylan. And anytime I hear someone say that Johnny Cash couldn't sing, I tell them to listen to Girl From The North Country.

14. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

The first generation masters were missing. They either found them for the SACD (actually, even earlier, for the re-issue of the 'Greatest Hits' sets from '99), or they found/used a safety copy instead (ala the recent remaster of 'The Band', where Levon Helm has the original master).

The original cd issue likely used an LP cutting master, which would seem to be the only rational explanation for why it sounds so horrid...

AFAIK, the only remix this album has ever seen was the quad re-issue from the 70's...

15. tps

tps Forum Resident

It's not clear exactly what went missing, or when (if ever) it was recovered. Here's what I read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Skyline (look under the "Outtakes and Trivia" section). Maybe someone has some more definitive information.

BTW -- What about the Red Book layer on the Nashville Skyline SACD? How does it sound?

16. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

I agree. The new remaster is warm sounding but a little short in length.
    Jim

17. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

As if the original CD was a double album?! :D

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One more time: The master reels were used to make the SACD.

19. OldJohnRobertson

My copy of Nashville Skyline sounds exquisite I must say. I have Columbia CK 9825, but mine is a 90s or even early 2000s pressing. I'm wondering if maybe they did a phantom remaster around the same time they remastered GH2 and that's what I have...

The precedent was set for this with Blonde on Blonde. In 1999 when the latest remix was done (the one that's on the 2003 remaster and the SACD), the current CD (Columbia CGK 841) underwent a phantom remaster to the 1999 remix.

20. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

There is a web site currently selling many of the Dylan SACDs for $7 with free shipping. I think it is my music.com

Richard.

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

In my opinion, all the Dylan remasters were drastic (and needed) improvements over the original COLUMBIA CD issues that came out in the 80's. This title is no exception.

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The SACD sounds wonderful.

Evan

23. BradOlson

OTOH, Steve and I both like the original CD mastering of John Wesley Harding.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

That would be the only original Columbia Dylan CD that sounds great.

Evan

25. BradOlson

www.yourmusic.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.