Cream (BEST versions on cd?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have all of their discs that are on cd shelves at the moment. How do they compare to the others?

:cool:

Om likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You'll want the old Polydor cd's mastered by Dennis Drake. The DCC of Wheels Of Fire is a no-brainer since it was mastered by Steve. Some here like the MFSL of Goodbye too. But the old Polydor cd's are a safe bet imo. And they aren't too hard to find.

Om likes this.
  3. Bowie Fett

Thanks! How is the MFSL "Disraeli Gears"?

So...the latest remasters are "poop"?

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Fresh Cream - DCC
    Gears - MFSL
    Wheels - DCC
    Goodbye - not sure
    Live Cream - MFSL
    Live Cream vol II - MFSL

You will also need the box for the superior alternate mixes of some of the live tracks. These are vintage unused mixes from the 60's that lack some of the EQ and compression used on the LP mixes.

If you want the Gears demos in stereo you will need the Gears Deluxe Edition. You also get an alternate version of Lawdy Mama that is essential IMO.

5. Chris M

Did you forget about the DCC Fresh Cream?

6. Bowie Fett

Thanks for your help!

My DCC "Wheels of Fire" was stolen years ago. How I miss that set...I'll look for the others.

7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Yep "Fresh Cream" remastered by our host sounds MUCH better than the regular CD. The recently released remastered DeLuxe version of "Disraeli Gears" Mono / Stereo + Bonus Tracks is sounding okay, too.
    Both were already mentioned.

8. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

My recs:

Fresh Cream - DCC

Disraeili - Mofi

Wheels - DCC (RSO is solid 2nd option, but avoid Drake mastered Polydor - major top end boost on disc 1)

Goodbye - Polydor (avoid the Mofi)

Live 1/2 - Same as Goodbye

In the case of Live 1 & 2, the RSO versions match the Polydors, despite the Polydors adding Dennis Drake's name in the credits. Not sure if this is the case with Goodbye.

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  9. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Not sure if it's any consolation, but the liner notes for 'Goodbye' mention Dennis M. Drake as the mastering engineer, even on the first RSO WG version.

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Fresh Cream - DCC
    Disraeli Gears - Mofi, The original Polydor is decent but a distant 2nd.
    Wheels - DCC
    Goodbye - Polydor (original)
    Live 1 - P33W
    Live 2 - P33W

11. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Cool. I couldn't recall.

12. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

The USA Dennis Drake Disraeli Gears sounds better than the West German Dennis Drake Disraeli Gears. I assume he re-did it (found master tape maybe?)

13. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Nobody has mentioned the Deluxe set for Disraeli? That one has the album in stereo AND mono. Where else can you get that?

14. Chris M

The MFSL has both mixes. I think the Gears Deluxe set is essential for the stereo demos and the alt Lawdy Mama.

If you are interested in the live stuff you really need the box. The alternate mixes are much better. The differences aren't subtle. That said the box doesn't have everything from the live half of Goodbye and Live Cream.

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Cut it out, Chris! If you keep it up I'm gonna have to spring for the DE of Gears!:realmad:

I'm still saving my pennies for the DCC "Wheels Of Fire"...:sigh:

Agree with everyone on the 1st two albums, though. The DCC for Fresh Cream and the MFSL for D. Gears. Thanks to this forum, I'm the proud owner of both!

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If you love CREAM you'll need the MoFi "Gears". One of my favorite CD's. Sounds JUST like the stereo and mono master tapes. No futzing whatsoever, just like I like it.

One might not agree with Tom Dowd's engineering moves on the album but to be able to hear the great songs without the annoying top end EQ that all mastering engineers feel compelled to add is a great relief!

Don't miss the MoFi.

old school and Om like this.
  17. The Mofi Goodbye sounds good (I wouldn't say avoid it--just don't pay a high price for it) but I would recommend the very first pressing for Goodbye.

Fresh Cream-Our host (2nd first pressing of the regular CD if I recall correctly the Japan for Japan sounded quite nice)
    Disreali Gears-Mofi sounds best
    Wheels of Fire-Our host
    Goodbye-FIrst pressing (and the US first pressing sounds extremely good as well) followed by the Mofi. I haven't heard the European pressings of this title so can't comment.

The Live I've only heard a copy of (and I don't know if that varies/sounds much different than the original disc).

As for the demos some are on the boxed set but the only place to get the Clapton Blue COndition as Chris M points out is on the latest remaster for DG although I personally think that the mastering for that deluxe remaster is just OK. I really don't like the EQ on it and although it is readily available it doesn't sound as good as the Mofi.

18. Chris M

The box has the demos in mono. They are stereo on the DE. I think one track was vocals and the other had the band and they folded it in a little on the DE. I think it sounds great. I think the demos were recorded better than the album proper.

I think Blue Condition better with Clapton's vocals but I still don't really care for it. I don't want to sound like a broken recorded but the alt Lawdy Mama is pretty neat. It is a completely different performance than the one on Live Cream. Another mix of this perfomance is on the box.

19. Crassimo

Crassimo New Member

Only three live tracks were previously unreleased: N.S.U., Toad & Sunshine of Your Love. Another tracks can be found on Wheels...Goodbye...Live.

20. Chris M

I know, I'm referring to the alternate mixes of some of the live tracks.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I never even knew there was one...ok, the hunt is on! :)

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just by coincidence, I am listening now to the "Strange Brew, The Very Best of Cream" (Polydor 1983).

Mastering by Dennis Drake.

It sounds great!

Headfone likes this.
  23. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Sorry, i think it is obvious to everyone but me, but what is "the box" you refer to?

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have the 'Disraeli Gears' he did. It sounds good, but now that I just got a half-way decent copy of the original vinyl, it pales in comparision.

25. Chris M

Those Were The Days. It came out around '97 or so. Should be pretty cheap on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.