YES Japanese reissues July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

This appeared on the CD JAPAN site today ......
    Release Date: 08-Jul-2009
    Japan original fortieth anniversary cardboard sleeve reissues from Yes featuring the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). Part of a fifteen-album Yes cardboard sleeve reissue series featuring the albums "Yes," "Time And A Word," "The Yes Album," "Fragile," "Close To The Edge," "Yessongs," "Tales From Topographic Oceans," "Relayer," "Going For The One," ""Tormato," "Drama," "Yesshows," "90125," "9012 Live The Solos" and "Big Generator." Features 2009 digital remastering.

2. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

It mentions a 2009 remastering? Hmm...

At first I figured it was just the normal Rhino remaster stuff, but in a "mini-LP" format, but now I'm not sure. If I were you, I'd make sure that it's not the stuff from Japan where they mastered each CD from a vinyl source. I think that stuff came out in early '08 (and it was in that SHM format too). Hopefully this is something completely different.

I've encountered that SHM stuff twice. The first time it was an SHM pressing of Led Zeppelin IV that used the same mastering as the Page/Marino remasters. The SHM didn't seem to do anything to help that brittle remaster sound. The second time I saw the SHM stuff was when I heard about the Yes CD's that were mastered from vinyl. Hopefully the stuff you mentioned is not the same thing. I'm always apprehensive about those "mini-LP's" as well. Most of the time, it ends up being the same mastering as the regular remastered issue CD. Definitely need more info on this.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Potentially interesting if not brickwalled to death...

4. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, confusing hey ? I'm happy with the last Rhino releases, but also a sucker for the mini-lps ........ Good to see YESSONGS make the cut !

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have the second generation papersleeves which, IIRC, are the remastered HDCD versions. For listening, I usually turn to either the Japanese original pressings or my vinyl selections.

I have no desire to buy these again.... but I'm sure the paper sleeves will be well done (as usual!)

6. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

For "Fragile", the best-sounding CD that I've heard is the Joe Gastwirt-mastered version from the early '90's. And of course there's the fantastic-sounding Analogue Productions 180gram LP that Steve and Kevin mastered. On my turntable, that LP just brings it to a whole new level. They knocked it out of the park on that one.

I'm still trying to find a proper-sounding CD version of "The Yes Album". I have the Rhino remaster, but it just doesn't work for me. I sometimes listen to the Japanese one from '08 (the one that's mastered from vinyl), because it sounds more LP-like than the Rhino version (even though it has some major shortcomings, just like most of the other vinyl-mastered stuff from that series - The bass is bloated or boosted or something, but aside from that, the Japanese "Yes Album" from the '08 series is not too bad, and sounds much more like the original LP than the Rhino CD).

7. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Yessongs! Woo hoo

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

seriously, how many times has the yes catalog been remastered, 7, 8...?

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yeah, but how many times has Yessongs sounded good? :shake:

I really hope this 2009 remaster will blow away that terribly no-noised remaster :agree:

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

seriously i bet they are.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So the first Yes Japan SHM cd's were released in jewel cases and used a new mastering from vinyl?

12. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Seriously, who is going to buy these? Anybody who needed paper sleeve editions will have bought them already back at the beginning of the decade.

13. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Will need to hear something first.

14. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am excited to find out how Yes songs looks like in a mini LP sleeve ... I can imagine quiet a few things, but how that might look is a mistery somehow - The original set was a single sleeve with ornament prints on the front - the 3 LP's inside and that slammin' mushrooms in space on the back ?

It is tha longt ago that I played Yes songs to death - 1973 and since then I never had the original LP in my hands and didn't bother with a CD Remake as well.

Only hope this will be a true 3CD set, not a cheap 2 Cd fake !!!

The inner sleeves were plain white as afr as i remember..
    Please someone enlighten me..
    :angel:

15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Is this the first remaster of "Big Generator"? I know it didn't come out in the Rhino series.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The one I have is indeed three discs, released a few years back.

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The completists.
    And those who believe the maximized sound is the improvement. They're still majority.

18. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Yes, although the original Japanese mastering of this is apparently different from the original US mastering.

I think this is also the first time in a long time that 9012Live will be available on CD again.

But I'm finished buying remasters of these, and not because I don't like Yes (they're my favorite band). I've gone back to the originals and am perfectly thrilled with them. I would be shocked if these new ones sounded any good.

19. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

+1

20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I still would have liked BG to been issued with the other Rhinos, if only for the bonus material. The masterings don't matter that much to me.

I'd like to see an expanded 9012Live too - I have the original CD issue, but don't play it that often.

21. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I have a 'mini-lp' remaster from Japan of Big Generator from a few years back.

22. webbcity

Oops, there you go...I stand corrected.

23. webbcity

I have been saying for years that 9012Live should be reissued as a proper, complete live album. Why they haven't done it yet is beyond me. Unfortunately, I am in the camp that doesn't like the Rhino remasters though so it would be a tough listen for me. But if they did it with a lot of extra tracks I would probably have to get it anyway.

24. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

What a bizarre release that was. I know it was supposed to be a companion to the video, but an EP/LP of mostly solo spots?

A tad indulgent methinks.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:confused: Yessongs was released already as a HDCD 3-cd triple gatefold mini-lp replica at the beginning of the decade.

24voltsdc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.