What are Micro Dynamics in music? Beatles Tony Sheridan Polydor era vs. Parlophone..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

There is a thread around here about why the Beatles recordings on Polydor before they were famous sound so good. Can someone provide a link to it?

There was a question that I was sent today about Transients and Dynamics in music. Mainly about "Micro Dynamics" and what that phrase means.

Well, it's been around a long, long time and essentially if you want to hear dynamics and especially micro-dynamics in recorded music, listen to the stereo Beatles recordings that came out on "THE BEATLES IN THE BEGINNING" on Polydor.

Those recordings are wonderful and have the micro dynamics that make music sound alive. The EMI recordings by contrast (as much as I love the songs) have NO micro dynamics at all. Not any, dudes.

Compare the two recording styles and you'll understand what micro dynamics are and how important they are to making recorded music sound alive.

Forget the BEAR FAMILY Tony Sheridan version, my copy has been stripped of some dynamics by mini-brickwalling.

Try the $1.99 LP on US Polydor from the 1970s that I mentioned above or the CD that came out in the 1980s...

Think of transients or micro dynamics (little quick varying degrees of soft to loud, etc.) as part of your moving index finger. Hold your hand out in front of you and move your finger up and down, and the little areas in between as quick as you can. Micro Dynamics. Now, stick your hand in a vat of sludge (go on, do it!). Try and move your finger in the little increments like before. Can't do it. Oh, you can still move your finger up and down but the little moves in between are impossible to do, just like the recording system at EMI/Abbey Road.. Heh, not that this is a terrible thing, after all, phonograph records were for playing on cheap systems back then. But when you hear the micro dynamics on a record like "CRY FOR A SHADOW" in stereo you realize what you are missing when you don't hear them. You also realize that your ears are SENSITIVE TO MICRO DYNAMICS, even totally untrained non-audiophile ears..

Of course the more sensitive your stereo system is, the better micro dynamics will resolve but they are clearly audible on average systems as long as you have some resolving power and a neutral playback and the amp is not driven to clipping point.

Over to you..

2. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Thanks!
    I have a cd with the title 'The early tapes of The Beatles' with this stuff:
    550 037-2
    (P) 1993 (c) 1998 Spectrum Music a Polygram Company
    Is this good?

3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed on all counts. As for the Sheridan material, I've always thought it sounded so good because it was recorded organically with such a minimal signal path. They just put up a few mics, (probably telefunkens) fed them into a 15 ips tube deck and said "Go". No effects, no crazy processing.

The fact that "Cry For a Shadow" was even stereo is a real treat. Georges guitar is all by itself (almost) with the rest of the band on the other channel. Awesome.

4. I have a German 1975 Polydor LP pressing of the Sheridan recordings, and it's just as Steve says...the music has that "breath of life" quality he's always extolling here and at his audiophile lectures. Different studios, different labels=different recording, mixing and mastering philosophies. EMI pop recordings in the mid-20th Century were notoriously conservative in their production values, to the point where they sounded almost lifeless compared to, say, Decca, Pye or some other independent European record label. George Martin, Norman Smith and the Beatles had to work within the strict policies of EMI/Abbey Road studios and the results from the first 5 albums, "Please Please Me" to "Help!", pretty much reflect that policy. So it's a minor miracle that so many of their early records sound as good as they do, given the primitive technical conditions and the conservative philosophy of their record label. Just my 2 cents...:wave::agree:

5. leir

leir Forum Resident

Silly boy....

I thought you of all people would acknowledge that the term Micro Dynamics is made-up word with no real meaning. :sigh:

[/SARCASM]
    :D

6. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Here's a 30 second clip from 'When The Saints Go Marching In' from the Sheridan/Beatle recordngs.

Even through the horribly boosted treble on this Pickwick LP pressing, the lovely micro-dynamics may still be evident.

When The Saints...clip

7. fiftyfivefilms

fiftyfivefilms Forum Resident

quick observation: my 1970 Polydor is RL mastered!....always loved it.

8. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Just on my little comp speakers (( a JVC Small shelf system )) this sounds VERY good.....Im impressed. I tried it using that "WOW" setting on the media player and it has a quite unique and very cool soundstage (( albeit not real ))...haha Fun!:righton:

Oooh we were talking micro-dynamics though (( almost forgot getting into the song! )) Yes it sounds great, but I really honestly wasnt aware of the term (( micro-dynamics )) and how steve described the definition of it. Im assuming it means basically small dynamic range changes "within" the average sound levels. As opposed to the extreme dynamics of the lowest level and the highest recorded level.

Kind of the "mid-range" of dynamics.....!

9. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Is micro-dynamism equipment-related?

10. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Steve can probably answer this better but micro dynamics are in the recording. Some equipment will reproduce them better than others, but the equipment does not create them if they are not there in the recording

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Do you mean this CD?

[​IMG]

If so, the problem I have with that CD is that it contains the mono "Ain't She Sweet" with the drum overdub and the later version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" with modified lyrics.

12. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I wasn't too clear on that term either, but I found his 'finger in the sludge' analogy very apt and illustrative. Especially when applied to the EMI Beatles recordings vis a-vis Sheridan.

13. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

So what are microdynamics?

14. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

It is certainly a word that lacks a definition. "Just listen to" will not do.

15. xman

xman Active Member

I have two versions if this is what you are referring to.

Attached Files:

16. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I was friends with some very prominent audiophiles (Steve Weimann and Ray Marion who owned a shop called "Pro Musica" in Urbana, IL) during the late 1970's and 80's and I pointed this out to them back then (using the Polydor gatefold LP that was out in the U.S. at the time).

The reality is that EMI U.K. pop recordings, especially of the Beatles early stuff (Please, Please Me and With the Beatles) of that era simply were not very good (thin sounding and lifeless). I surmise that EMI's recording "higher-ups" were trying to record pop and rock records just as they would easy listening instrumentals and chamber orchestral groups. Thus, the pop records sounded dead.

Dave Dexter of Capitol heard it too, and his staff attempted to compensate for the "deadness" by "livening" up some of the songs and reequalizing them. But, he couldn't re-introduce the "micro-dynamics" that Mr. Hoffman mentions into recordings that had all of their life quashed out of them at the source.

Even the Beatles recognized how dead EMI's records sounded when they asked "why can't we get the bass sounds like Tamla-Motown??", "Why do American records sound so good while ours sound like s***?" etc.

The Rolling Stones attempted to get the "American Sound" by recording at Chess instead of Decca (and their Chess recordings do display this concept of "micro-dynamics" better than their other UK recordings of the time).

EMI's biggest problem in the 1960's was that their arrogant white-coated engineering managers were so busy trying to "protect the equipment" that they made no-exception rules that made their recordings sound dead to American ears. Also, EMI's "higher ups" were making all engineering under one set of rules -- those laid down for CLASSICAL and DANCE BAND recordings. Maybe that's why no British pop recording artist was able to cross the Atlantic until the Beatles. And maybe the Capitol guys who reequalized "I Want To Hold Your Hand" to make it "fuller" were responsible for the Beatles! Perhaps, if not for "Dave Dexter" who was just vilified in another thread, we would have never heard of the Beatles and would not be having this discussion today.

17. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Yes,for me was also surprise,Early Tapes on Polydor cd have nice sound.Much better compares to later early The Beatles albums.

18. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

My version (bought one year ago) of 'the early tapes' is mentioned in wikipedia as the one "reissued with a different design in 2004 on Universal Music's Spectrum label." But on my cd the years are (p) 1993 (c) 1998, as I mentioned above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Early_Tapes_of_The_Beatles

It is like this one:

"[​IMG]

EAC readings:

EAC extraction logfile from 23. January 2010, 20:32 for CD
    The Beatles / The Early Tapes Of The Beatles

Used drive : HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B Adapter: 1 ID: 1
    Read mode : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, NO disable cache
    Combined read/write offset correction : 0
    Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
    44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Track 1
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\01 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Ain't She Sweet.wav

Peak level 67.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 88985D4A
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\02 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Cry for a Shadow.wav

Peak level 64.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 59688FF8
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\03 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - When the Saints Go Marching In.wav

Peak level 66.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC B4E24F57
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\04 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Why.wav

Peak level 72.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 85E278C2
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\05 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - If You Love Me, Baby.wav

Peak level 60.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 5EAE69BD
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\06 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - What'd I Say.wav

Peak level 64.8 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC AA9AEDD3
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\07 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Sweet Georgia Brown.wav

Peak level 59.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 2B81E8B6
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\08 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Let's Dance.wav

Peak level 62.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC F940A253
    Copy OK

Track 9
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\09 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Ruby Baby.wav

Peak level 71.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 31F31125
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\10 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - My Bonnie.wav

Peak level 63.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC F94F5996
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\11 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Nobody's Child.wav

Peak level 59.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 20150D02
    Copy OK

Track 12
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\12 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Ready Teddy.wav

Peak level 67.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 257CC353
    Copy OK

Track 13
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\13 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Ya Ya (Parts 1 and 2).wav

Peak level 75.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 1613B22B
    Copy OK

Track 14
    Filename D:\Documents and Settings\ure\Mis documentos\Mi m�sica\tony_sheridan\14 The Beatles - The Early Tapes Of The Beatles - Kansas City.wav

Peak level 77.7 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 8DBDE1D0
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

To my ears it sounds very good, with a lot of dynamics.

(I also have a different package in a Polydor cassette tape, bought 20 or 25 years ago, and always was surprised on how good it sounded).

I would like to know whether that CD it is the same mastering as the other mentioned before, i.e. the original polydor cd release, that one:

[​IMG]

Thank you

19. I have the tan cover cd with the orange label on the disc -
    I thought it was stereo all the way thru.

Certainly punchy enough on the tracks that ARE stereo.

The bass has that "infinite depth" to it that's so disarming!

20. Gazman

Gazman Active Member

I dunno...don't most of the Stones Chess recordings sound like mush? Some of the early UK stuff sounds better to me. 'Little Red Rooster' for example.

Isn't it the case that there were both good and bad recordings made in both the UK and US? It is interesting how different the sound and approach was though. Compare Dionne Warwick's and Cilla Black's versions of 'Anyone Who Had A Heart'.

Maybe in the Beatles case George Martin just wasn't attuned to rock'n'roll? Perhaps they should have got Dave Clark to produce them.:D

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Easy enough to check. The stereo version of "Ain't She Sweet" has the vocal in the left channel.

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I wanna hear more about this.....Very interesting this Micro-dynamics thing!

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The RCA stuff (Heart of Stone, Satisfaction, Get Off Of My Cloud) was mush. The Chess stuff (It's All Over Now, Time Is On My Side remake) was great.

24. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Hi again

Could someone provide EAC numbers for the Polydor release of 'The early tapes...', please?

I am interested in knowing whether it is the same mastering as the re-release by Spectrum Music that I own...

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.