Neil Young records new album with Crazy Horse-"Americana" due June 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les Nougat

Les Nougat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thrashers Wheat is reporting that Neil Young has recorded a new album with Crazy Horse and they working on another.

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2012/01/report-new-crazy-horse-album-recorded.html

"This weekend, the Master Class at Slamdance Festival featured Coffee w/ Neil Young & Jonathan Demme for their new film Journeys.

A report from the coffee with Neil and Jonathan event by Bob & Kim C. reveals a stunning announcement...

... Neil Young has been recording with Crazy Horse . One album is complete and they are working on another.

No mention of content or time table.

Neil did talk about a group of Americana songs that he had recorded as well with a youth choir...and the Horse. When he spoke of recording with Crazy Horse again "the crowd erupted in applause".

Also, Bob & Kim C. report that:

Neil mentioned that a 4th film with Demme would make the effort a "4 wheel drive not a 3 wheel drive".
    Neil has been writing songs recently and happy with the effort.
    No mention of Buffalo Springfield.
    Wants to finish his Lincvolt movie....after 5 years of work."

2. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This is huge, huge news.

Though given who we're dealing with, this could be the last we hear about this for quite some time. Fingers crossed they get it together for a summer tour!

3. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

4. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Just listened to "Ragged Glory" the other day, hope this actually happens !

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Great and exciting news, thanks !

6. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

That's great news!

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

After a series of, imo, generally dull albums, perhaps he finally realized he needed an authentic pushback. With Briggs not around, the Horse emerges.... I'm disorentedly optimistic.

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Ditto on PhilBorder's post!!! The Horse needs to run!

9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Expect to see this on Archives 5

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a word of caution:

we are talking about neil young here.....nuff said.

expect nothing and every so often you will get a pleasant surprise.

11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Time to get the Horse on the road!

12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I saw them at the Omni for the Ragged Glory tour and he blew the place away literally.
    It was LOUD!!

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is great news! I haven't found myself yearning to re-listen to "Le Noise" so I'm glad he's changing directions. Hopefully their extended separation will result in something extraordinary.

14. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Great news - I'd love to see Neil tour a brand new album with The Horse again.

Tom

15. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

This would partially explain why he bailed on Buffalo Springfield. Neil is always looking forward and seems to favor forward progress over revisiting the past.

That said, it didn't happen until you have it in your hands. Neil could pull the release of any new album at any moment. 'Inscrutable' is just not a strong enough word!

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19778889

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Well, I will hope for the best but, IMHO, I don't think Neil has written more than a handful of worthwhile songs in the past 10-12 years. Not sure CH will make a huge difference in that respect, but hope to be proven wrong!

18. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Does this mean he recorded an album of Americana songs with Crazy Horse?

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Exactly my thoughts. The songwriting in all of the wildly various performance settings Neil’s embraced since the mid-to-late 90’s has been offhand, undercooked, sketchy, kinda unfinished and under construction in form and reach. It’s become more like a running diary mode than about great songs. Still fantastic virtuosity and sound.

Hope he spooks the Horse with some fantastic new tunes ....

20. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I just want to hear Homegrown.

21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

The following thought/question just came to me: Does Crazy Horse mean just Billy and Ralph as on the Greendale album - Frank was on the tour - or those 2 plus Frank? I've read several times over the years though not verified by Frank - to my knowledge - that he was in the computer business and had "retired" from music. Anyone have any info/thoughts on this?

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The reports lists all trhree as Crazy Horse and shows a 2010 photo of them all together.

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It's about time!

24. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Thanks, this news made my day.
    Although he may not have written more than 20 worthwhile songs in the last ten years, they mean more to me than many other artist's entire output.
    Some artists would be proud if they could ever produce something that we call a mediocre Neil Young song.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Damn right! I personally have been jonesing for a new Neil/Horse project for so long that at this point I'd even be happy if it was Greendale Part II!:laugh:

The Rosas/Cromwell rhythm section Neil has been using for his last few albums has been good, but IMO nobody brings to his music what Billy and Ralph do (and if Poncho's involved, all the better:righton:)

But, of course, the caveat here is let's see if either album is, you know, released...this is Neil Young we're talking about...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.