Neil Youngs "Greatest Hits" Great in HDCD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by creativepart, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a gift card to spend today and bought the CD version of Neil Young's new "Greatest Hits" CD. I expected it to be pretty good as they hyped the fact that it was recorded from the original master tapes and folks here had said some good things about this CD.

But to my surprise and delight, it's produced in HDCD and my NAD C541i does a great job with this format.

This is a great sounding version of these classic songs. If you have an HDCD capable player I highly recommend this CD.

Paul Green
    PS. The cover of the CD said, "Also available separately on CD-DVD Combo Pak in super-saturated DVD Stereo for the highest quality audio available. BECAUSE SOUND MATTERS." I guess they mean Dual Disc. But it's nice to see them say, right on the cover "SOUND MATTERS."

Kubricker likes this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not dual disc. It's literally 2 separate discs, 1 HDCD, 1 DVD-A.

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Not quite DVD-A,.....DAD!!!

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

neil young had been using HDCD for quite some time, then stopped with "are you passionate". i did not know that his greatest hits CD was HDCD encoded. it has just gone on the list!

thanks for this info.

renny

p.s. i had heard at one time that neil young was part owner in pacific microtronics, the developers of HDCD

5. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Greendale and and the "missing four" released last year were HDCD. On the Beach sounds really fantastic.

And I love the "SOUND MATTERS" copy used to sell "Greatest Hits." Let's hope this is an indicator that the rest of the Neil catalog will be remastered soon!

6. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

It sounds great in HDCD thru my Rotel CD player but even better at 96 KHz thru my Denon DVD player! The HDCD/DAD combo was well worth the few extra dollars.

7. You know, I thought DAD was outdated technology when DVD-Audio and SACD came along, but I swear some of the BEST sounding hi-res digital recordings I own are this Neil Young DAD and an assortment of Classic Records DADs. Keep 'em coming! :righton:

8. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

Its a great looking track listing, and I've been picking it up and putting it down since before the holidays, but I just wish it had a couple of more tracks!

Dave

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

that's one of the best reissues of 2004... a very good remaster... and it smokes the originals!!!

10. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I don't have HDCD, but I used a Target gift card to order the CD/DVD version the other day (I ordered online because my local Target stopped stocking the "Amelie" DVD... figures that would happen when I finally decide to buy it).

I know what you mean about wishing it had a couple more tracks, but I was very impressed with the sound quality of the red book disc. I probably should have picked up the LP instead, but Target doesn't stock LPs! ;)

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I need to find that DAD/CD combo of Greatest Hits. I went looking for it at Best Buy yesterday, and they had a few Neil Young DVD-Audio discs, but no DAD/CD combo. They had a woeful selection of Neil Young CDs. :shake:

Is the DAD/CD combo of Greatest Hits packaged in a standard jewel case, Super Jewel Box, or neither? What should I be looking for? Also, what's a good price for it? Thanks!

12. James RD

James RD Senior Member

It clocks in at 76:58. Not much room left.

Standard jewel case. Should be still on sale at BB.

There's a little HDCD rectangle on the back.

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It's in a standard jewel box, and MY copy did not have a different sticker on the top of the JB. So, if you see a rack full of NYGH, do not just look at the tops of the discs (visable when browsing a pile), you have to look at the FRONT of the JB. You can also tell by the price, however I am sure that some of these got marked wrong.

Another giveaway is the DVD version does not have the "Also available as.." blurb on the front, as well as it not being a 2 disc standard sized jewel box.

14. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Amazingly, I even find the DAD "Greatest hits" sounding better than the DVD-A versions of "On the beach" and "Hawks and doves". The DAD sounds really warm and mellow to my ears!

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I just realized something will my Pioneer DV-563A-s play DAD? I hope so...

16. Most any DVD player made in the last 5 years or so should handle a 24/96 track.

My oldest machine (+4 years old, I would guess) is a Sony 650D changer, and it plays them just fine, although it will not send a 24/96 stream out the digital output.

BGL

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Even the 1st Sony DVD player that ever came out plays DADs.

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Good to know. I never had a DAD, and only recently realized that it was different from DVD-A. That disc should show up this weekend, and I can't wait to hear it!

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I have a Pioneer DV-563A-s, and it plays the Classic DAD (96/24) discs perfectly. Outputs the 96/24 signal digitally to my Denon receiver, which displays that it is receiving the signal just fine.

I completely agree with Bill S. - The Classic DAD discs blow away any DVD-Audio disc in my collection, except perhaps Neil Young's Harvest which sounds wonderful at 192/24. I would say that the Classic DAD discs are sonically "on par" with most of the (100+) SACD discs in my collection.

I hope Classic Records keeps the HDAD series running for a long time! They could become all that MFSL once was! (I've been very disappointed with every rock SACD from MFSL; only their mono jazz titles impress me.)

Anyway, I realize this has moved off-topic, sorry! ... Back on topic, I was on the fence about getting this CD/DAD Greatest Hits collection, but this thread has convinced me to seek it out!

I actually am glad that it's DAD and not DVD-Audio, as I never got my Pioneer DV-563A-s patched to play the new DVD-Audio specs. (For those who don't know, first-generation DV-563A-s players won't play the DVD-Audio layer of newer discs like the Neil Young reissues other than Harvest.) The DTS layer of the On The Beach is better than the MP3s that I used to listen to while the album was out-of-print, but not by much!

Craig(VC).

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks for reminding me to get my DV-563-s patched! I only have a couple DVD-A discs ("Harvest" and the new Diana Krall) so I haven't been in a hurry. I'd hate to see a title come out that I really really want and not be able to play it!

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, Does the 2 disc with the DAD bonus disc have the complete greatest hits repeated on the DAD or just the 2 bonus video's?

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Same tracks repeated.

I got mine today. :thumbsup: Love it.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Keith! I'm getting mine tomorrow...funny thing, all the Internet stores state nothing about the 16 tracks being repeated on the DAD, just the 2 bonus video's...weird.:)

24. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

I agree this Greatest Hits DAD sounds great. Let's hope for more DAD releases from Neil Young. :agree:

25. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Neil in 5.1?

Am I crazy?
    Neil's website and everything about the Greatest Hits release says it's in DAD stereo. But when I play it on my system, I get a 5.1 mix on everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.