Question for Steve - Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie. Ella Fitzgerald.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mambo, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambo

mambo New Member Thread Starter

I understand that at DCC you did some work on the master of this lp but never released it due to some problems. I just wondered whether there are any plans to release this on the AP label at all, or do I spend the next 20 years looking for a quiet original copy?!!

Thanks

Raymon

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

DCC was going to do it but didn't realize that Classic was working on it as well. We didn't want confusion in the marketplace so we passed on our version. I never did any actual mastering work on it. The actual "flat" recording sounds pretty great though.

My favorite sounding version is the Verve CD that was mastered by Dennis Drake in 1989; an audiophile staple for 16 years. It has the correct amount of "sparkle".

Verve 835-646-2 is the CD number. It has 3 bonus tracks from an earlier session that brings the playing time to a nice one hour.

I have no idea if this version is still in print or not though.... It could be! Up at the top of the inlay card it says "PolyGram VOCAL CLASSICS".

If you don't have this album, grab it while you can!

3. Steve Hoffman

I guess it still is in print. Good.

4. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Steve,

You're too polite to say so explicitly, but I get the impression you're not wild about the Classic mastering. Can you explain what the Polydor CD does that you prefer to the Classic LP?

For the record, I like the Classic, but I agree that the flat transfer of "You're My Thrill" you played during your seminar at the Rocky Mtn. Audio Fest last October sounded fabulous. Can you explain technically how the Classic ended up sounding different? Is it a simple matter of using a modern tape deck in mastering a vintage recording?

5. Steve Hoffman

Larry,

I have nothing against the Classic version (CD). It's just a matter of taste.

The original recording was "reduced" from three-track to two-track with Val's trademark "1K boost". When played back on a modern tape deck this boost is painfully obvious. The version I played at the show was adjusted to null out exactly 1/2 of this 1K boost. The only other version that actually does the same thing is Dennis Drake's mastering for Verve. I just prefer that sound. Val added the 1K boost to give a little oomph in the presence range so that 1961 stereo speakers could have a little extra "hi-fi" in an area that they were usually lacking in. Modern revealing systems don't need that help!

6. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Thank you, Steve, for the very informative answer. It's exactly what I was hoping for.

I often hear differences that I can't explain or put words to, and the various versions I've heard of this Ella recording offer a good example. Your explanation of how each was mastered helps me understand what I'm hearing so much better.

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

The Classic CD sounds pretty darn nice, so if there's anything better (the Polydor) then you're in for a treat...

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

the original vinyl on verve ain't too shabby either... :D

9. mambo

Thanks for the info. I prefer vynil to cd in most cases, and as a clean original with low noise would be a miracle and the classic version is not quite right, that was why I was wondering if AP planning to get you to do it?

Thanks

raymon

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

don't know what your definition of "low noise" is, but i found a beautiful copy not long ago in san francisco for $25. and copies show up quite a bit on ebay and gemm.

good luck!

11. Steve Hoffman

The CLAP HANDS album is very long, around 25 minutes a side. No LP can hold the dynamics and tonality of the music as well as the aforementioned CD with sides that long.

12. mambo

Thanks Steve,

Which CD the Polydor or the Classic?

What about AP doing in on 45RPM Vynil?

Regards

raymon

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

interesting. never would have ever considered this. guess i'll have to search the cd out after all.

14. John Doe

John Doe Senior Member

Thanks Steve, I just purchased it and it knocked my socks off. WOW!

15. Steve Hoffman

Glad to hear it. Mastering engineer Dennis Drake removed that wicked 1k spike in the vocal range quite nicely; I played my copy today as well. :)

16. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I got my copy of Dennis Drake mastered cd today! :)

17. mambo

Got a sealed original copy on ebay for $25!!

18. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Old thread, yes. I just discovered this album - the regular Drake remaster on Verve CD - and holy cow is this thing ever amazing! Incredible performance AND incredible sound quality.

Does anyone know if there's other Ella recordings that sound this good, or is this record a singularity?

Jeff Kent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.