Wes Montgomery/Dennis Drake/Verve?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chip-hp, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

I picked up an early pressing CD of Wes Montgomery's "Tequila" (w/4 bonus tracks) ... probably from the 80's, the only date is 1966 ... which was mastered by Dennis Drake. Did Dennis Drake also master the first/early Verve CDs of "California Dreamin", "Goin' Out of My Head", "Bumpin' " and "Movin' Wes"?

I believe that all of the above Verve CDs have been "remastered" by someone else since their initial appearance on CD.

I know Steve did a master GOOMH on DCC ... which I am sure sounds wonderful ... but I haven't heard it.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those Drake "Wes" CD's sound pretty darn good. "Tequila" was particularly yummy, although I'm not a really big fan of that album...

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve ... so I assume from your comments that Drake DID master the early pressings of those other Wes Montgomery Verve CDs ... I like the songs "Tequila", "Bumpin' on Sunset" and "How Insensitive (Insensatez)" ... and it's interesting to hear the 3 alternate takes.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I believe he did, but I'm not sure.

5. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I was listening to an old Verve Gerry Mulligan compilation CD the other day, which was mastered by Dennis Drake - the sound was really very good. I was particularly interested in hearing a couple of tracks from his album recorded with Johnny Hodges. I then put on another Verve compilation of Johnny Hodges (Jazz masters series), which had another track from the same original album. But this track was mastered by Suha Gur, and I'm afraid it really lacked the body apparent in the Drake-mastered tracks - and the Drake tracks were done quite a few years before the Gur ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.