Adventures in Mastering: James Taylor “SWEET BABY JAMES” for Audio Fidelity Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $16 and change for preorder on Amazon

2. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

General delay. Best Buy did the same.

3. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I got that e-mail, too. Oh well. What's one more week? I'll have the AF Gold Walking Man to keep me entertained in the meantime. :righton:

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And One Man Dog...

5. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Locked in. I have Steve's excellent Rhino/WB vinyl, but I'd like this on CD as well.

6. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I didn't buy that one...yet. I figured I'd get into the SH/JT game with Walking Man and then take it from there. From what I sampled online, One Man Dog is experimental and kind of "unfinished" sounding. I wasn't thrilled with what I heard musically/lyrically speaking, but I'll probably pick it up once the Amazon price drops a little.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Experimental is the word. Listening just yesterday, and went " WTF ? " and had to look at the tracklisting, and then... " oh, yeah, okay." My dilemma with the AF Sweet Baby James is, as much as I'd like to have a copy, there's nothing wrong with my Japan 20P2 pressing, and that plus my original vinyl sort of make another copy unneccessary...but I'm debating selling the Japan CD.

8. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I have a Japanese Sweet Baby James that was released on 11/27/2008 under the "Forever Young" reissue series sporting a "Digital Remaster" note on the front (thanks OBI strip!). I overpaid for it by quite a bit but I just did not want the widely available domestic CD version for fear it wouldn't sound all that great.

Well, I compared the duplicate tracks on 2003's The Best Of James Taylor to my 2008 Japanese Sweet Baby James (on my so-NOT-audiophile-grade-set-up-it's-laughable system) and the Japanese disc wins hands down. Not only is JT's voice warmer and richer, it's also a little more prominent in the mix.

I imagine Steve's work on the AF Gold Sweet Baby James will be similar to the Japanese disc I already own, however I'm looking forward to hearing what else he can do with the album. Plus, I'm all for supporting premium (yet AFFORDABLE!), impeccably mastered, and well preserved classic albums on physical media, namely CDs.

At Amazon's pre-order price, this purchase was a no brainer. Sure, I don't need a second copy of Sweet Baby James, but it certainly doesn't hurt to add it to my collection. As long as I can swing it! :)

9. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

I'd grab it while you can. The sound of James just hanging around making music with some friends. It's laid back and a bit unfocused, but really good listening. Some songs are a bit silly, like "Chlili Dog", but there is also some very insightful songwriting on it. Go download "New Tune" and give it a listen. I love Linda Ronstadt's singing on "One Morning in May", and John McLaughlin's acoustic guitar solo on "Someone". The medley that completes the album is interesting too.

I'm looking forward to the Sweet Baby James" Gold CD but like others I got the dreaded Amazon delay notification today. :shake:

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Got a subscriber's notice today saying it (and Heart) had been delayed until Aug.30, with our copies shipping one week prior.

No biggie, I can wait.

11. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Just placed an order for One Man Dog a few minutes ago. I like the folksier sound to the album and the overall percussion sound. If the track clips are any indication, then I'm in for a real treat. Experimental or not, I think I just might enjoy One Man Dog MORE than Walking Man! :D

12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Looks like this is being delayed again until Sept. 6 along with Heart's Greatest Hits. Received an email from AF about it being beyond their control.

13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

down to $15.15

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Just was notified by amazon.com that this disc is delayed until September 6th.

15. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Got the same Dear John from amazon. Why are they messing with poor old loving man JT?

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I got billed today so they must be shipping to subs.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no matter how long it takes to be released it will be well worth it! Patience.:)

18. JesseG

JesseG Forum Resident

Same here. Can't wait. :)

19. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I just got my copies of Sweet Baby James and Heart GH in the mail today. Got to wait till tomorrow to give them a good listen, this will be great.:wave::righton::D

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Are you a subscriber?

21. boots

boots Chokma!

Good news I should see mine in the next day or two :goodie:

22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Got the bill for my copy a few days ago, should have it in a week or two. :)

23. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Yes - Platinum CD #104:D

I got both CD's?:confused:

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ahhh! I have to wait a couple of more weeks!

25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You better buy some extra food and wine before you spin this new disc because it brings James Taylor right into your living room. The presence is amazing, and the drums on Fire And Rain are huge. Another winner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.