AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

or Kevin Gray :thumbsup:

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Agree. If we're having stereo let's have the actual analogue master.

3. Those here that think that Simon & Garfunkel stuff should be heard in stereo -
    or remixed stereo - only, owes it to themselves to pick up a few S&G mono 45s
    and listen to them.

After I heard 'I Am A Rock' mono on a grey-label reissue 45 recently
    I decided that I never wanted to hear it in stereo again. It was terrific!

Admittedly Dylan in mono is more unexpectedly improved than hearing
    S&G in mono, but the differences are there.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh.

I certainly find that mix interesting, but I don't think it blows away the stereo. Just different. Same with just about all of the S&G mono I've heard.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

That never seems to be a good enough reason for some artists. I thought the same thing for Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass albums...but no!!!

6. I'd like to hear whichever has the best mix barring that just a superior version from a great sounding source.

7. Have you ever heard the mono? Right up front I'll tell you that only 3-4 tracks
    were obviously different at first listen. It was a "grower" for me.

8. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

Same for me but with "Save The Life of My Child"--the mono certainly evokes the atmosphere of freaky holiday much better than the stereo. I'd love to know who the female voices on that track belong to.

9. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

It may have been a vari-speeded Simon & Garfunkel.

10. Arrgh! The mono 'Bookends' is the one I haven't heard.

Hey, if memory serves, the mono single mix of either 'Cecilia' or 'El Condor Pasa'
    was on the S&G 'Greatest Hits' from back-in-the-day. I remember being
    startled that the track was in stereo on the 1st cd reissue (in the eighties).

Wish I had the vinyl in front of me - all copies are at the store presently.

I also wondered if this title was the last ever "2-eye" Columbia label.
    It came out in June of '72, quite late for that particular graphic.

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

There are no 2-eye US Columbias after 1970.
    Let's stay on topic.

PSR&T

12. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

I'm totally with you, I Am A Rock in mono is a great record, it takes you right back to 1966 hearing it on AM radio. Of course, some folks don't want to be taken back there, I guess, Paul Simon being one. Homeward Bound was also a great AM radio 45, and it too loses something in stereo.

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Yeah, I definitely don't want to be taken back to AM radio. Very very low fi.

14. waynenet

waynenet New Member

[​IMG]

Why only 5 tracks? The PSRT album has 6 per side right? Was the UK album different?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No Homeward Bound, right? Because it was issued on Sounds of Silence in the UK?

16. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

There were in Canada, up until '73 I believe.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is it common for an artist to have veto power on something they released and approved decades earlier?

Was this something Simon renegotiated later - like McCartney's ability to holdback later Fabs mono for 25 years.

18. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Paul Simon Music has had control over his stuff for years. He signed an agreement with Universal in 2004 but still has control.

http://www.paul-simon.info/PHP/shownews.php?id=93

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

His older stuff is CBS so Universal shouldn't have anything to do with it.

20. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

No, but Paul Simon Music still controls US publishing rights. check the better link above

"The multi-year deal, which went into effect Jan. 1, calls for UMPG to administer his catalog and new songs worldwide except in North America, where the material will continue to be handled by Paul Simon Music.

Additionally, UMPG will represent Simon's work globally, including the U.S. and Canada, for synchronization opportunities in TV, film and advertising. Simon was previously with Warner/Chappell.

The 300-song catalog includes many modern-day pop classics penned by Simon as part of Simon & Garfunkel and as a solo artist, including "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "The Sounds of Silence," "Still Crazy After All These Years," "Loves Me Like a Rock" and "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.""

21. I find it strange when artists don't want to re-release material like mono mixes... in this instance, Paul Simon never objected to the mono LPs upon their intial releases so I wonder what his hang-up is. I mean, why did he create and release them in the first place if he dislikes them so much?

It's not like people are asking for unreleased material, this is stuff that - with the exception of the mono BOOKENDS - is widely available at a dollar bin near you.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Who knows how much input he had into the mono mixes? And even if he did, perhaps he has changed his mind or decided to care more over the years.

And if he is really so anti-mono, my guess is he would say "so get the stuff at a dollar bin near you".

23. Or in other words, "to all you hard-core fans who've supported my music over the years and who want digital releases of material I was happy to sell you on vinyl, tough luck."

If these mixes were unreleased I could understand him keeping them back. But with them in circulation, I can't understand why he'd keep his fans from getting them digitally.

24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Do you really believe that Simon and Garfunkel, early in their career in 1966 had that much say about what mixes Columbia Records would and could release? I doubt it... it wasn't until much later when Paul Simon became one of the music elite that he had the power and say so over his music.

Regarding why he wouldn't want Mono mixes released at the current time, is beyond me (if it is true).

25. John Sanders

John Sanders New Member

Is Steve doing the mastering?

I am looking forward to it. I would like some Paul Simon titles as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.