Beach Boys Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 on CD - which mono mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JWB, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Randall,

I find that extremely hard to believe. KISS ME BABY in mono is on two LP reels, the LA original and the NY copy, both filed right next to each other..... Also there is a flat protection copy filed in the "S" reels as well. That's three monos..

It was my understanding that this CD was mastered from the old Capitol mono LP compilation master for BEST OF THE BEACH BOYS from 1966.... I've never heard that album in mono, having had the stereo version from that year only.

Can someone listen if they have the old LP in mono and let us know what KISS ME BABY sounds like on there? If it's a dual to mono fold-down on that LP then we will know for sure..

Thanks!

2. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

I have a 1967 bullseye-label mono pressing of that LP, and a needle-drop on CD-R which I made from that LP.

3. Steve Hoffman

And??? Give a listen.

4. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Listening to "Kiss Me Baby" right now (from that needle-drop), and sure enough, I heard a slight phasing effect in the vocals.

I'm going to listen to that same tune on a needle-drop from my mono copy of THE BEACH BOYS TODAY!, and try to find those pahsing effects...

5. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Have we ever figured this out?

Also, if KISS ME BABY was indeed duo on the BEST OF THE BEACH BOYS 1 CD from the 80s does that mean that KISS ME BABY was duo on the Pastmasters TODAY from the 80s?

6. Steve Hoffman

KISS ME BABY is fine on the JPN Pastmasters CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.