Best Quality DVD-R's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeffrey, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Great list, ffracer.

I think I really got the deal of the century today on DVD+R media. And no, I'm not totally exaggerating ;)

Best Buy is running a 100 stack of 8X speed FujiFilm DVD+R made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden for $39.99.

Normally the 100 spindle packs are $79.99. This week Best Buy has them with a $40 instant rebate. Plus, I took in the CompUSA ad, which has media promoted as "buy one get one free". After a slight fuss from Best Buy, I got TWO 100 spindle 8X DVD+Rs for only $39.99. :cool:

2. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I've had poor cross-player compatibility with Memorex in the past.

Best compatibility (from Best to Almost Best): Maxell (2X), Apple (2X) Maxell (4X), Maxell (8X). Some people at the DVD Authoring Forum at 2-pop.com have said negative things about the Apple media, but I've had *very* good results in the past and snatched up tons of their 2X media when they were practically giving them away in the Apple Stores to make room for the 4X media. Never had a bad burn or compatibility prob with them.

Alas, most of the 2 and 4X media are long gone, and I have noticed that Maxell's new 8X DVD-Rs are a little less compatible with the barrage of DVD players I test my discs on, compared to their older media (and I've let them know this).

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Sam - you are aware many DVD players cannot play DVD+R media, right? Just hold onto that receipt, just in case. I had a buddy of mine buy a ton of +R discs to send family members DVD copies of his home movies and he was not pleased that they didn't play in many DVD players.

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

How are the Mitsui/MAM-A DVD-R's?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

5. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

That is a great price. Rima.com has Taiyo Yuden DVD +R for $45 plus shipping. See link below:
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1733-100

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hi Felix,

From what I understand, the player incompatibility of DVD+R discs has to do with how they are burned initially. My burner gives me the option to set "Book type for DVD+R as DVD-ROM". This makes every standard player think that the disc is a DVD-ROM, which all players can play.

I have tried a few of these same +R discs on several old and new players with great success. Every single burned disc has played fine. Check and see if your burner has this "Booktype" setting.

Good link! I was actually going to order some TY CD-Rs from them soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.