Best vinyl Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dont know, never seen anyone compare for real, Im doubting there is much difference if any.

pinkrudy likes this.
  2. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

I just finished listening to side 1 A5 and A2. Caveat one - I do not have a real NM UK DSOTM. The closest I have is the third pressing A3/B3. Caveat 2: My A5 is a VG+ while my A2 is VG with some parts playing VG+.
    That out of the way, this is so subjective with copy/system/taste all playing. Yesterday I listened to two identical Beatles WA UK copies I have. They are both 1978 copies same cuts and both sound very very clean. One copy has an inner sleeve dating 05/78 and the second one 09/78. They should sound identical and they don't. I liked one much better than the other. Go figure.

So with that out of the way, A5 is a very clean and balanced. I can also see where your comment on calrity comes from. The top end is crispier to my ears. BUT, A2 has is more 3D with a deeper sound stage. And then what is for me the killer - the vocals. For me personally, a lot of DSOTM is about the vocals and the emotion the singing conveys. This is where for my money the earlier pressings win. When I listen to Clare Torry in the last quiet passage of The great gig in the sky and I close my eyes, in A2 she is in my room, and in A5 she's not. Horses of courses, I guess.

TheHutt, AaronW and Solace like this.
  3. Leonthepro

Care to record samples of the beatles?

4. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

Will do - could be an interesting exercise. I've never done needle drops. Will see how I can arrange myself to do them and get to it.

Leonthepro likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

Its easier than people think. Most have some extra RCA or USB cables lying around and can download Audacity for free.

6. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

My phono is integrated into my Audio Note amplifier, but the amp does have a tape out RCA output. I have an RCA to 3,5mm cable somewhere, but shouldn't I get a proper audio interface for the recording to have better quality?

7. Leonthepro

You dont need one, modern computer DACs are good enough, sure you could buy an ADC for slightly cleaner sound if you were to archive your whole collection but its not imperative.

sathvyre likes this.
  8. bradley a kessler

bradley a kessler Forum Resident

On discogs there’s 3 pressings of the clear 50th anniversary dsotm. There’s a Europe, us, and a japanese pressing. I know they’re not great reissues but if you had to pick one which one would you choose. I’m thinking the Japanese one. I have many copies of dsotm but I just want one to collect.

9. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

They are both pressed from the same cut, should sound the same.

pinkrudy likes this.
  10. drs. Daja

drs. Daja Well-Known Member

I think it is very difficult to find a definitive best version of this album. I made a video in which I ranked ten different pressings;

The following pressings are included:

- 1973 1st Dutch (NL)
    - Dutch ‘70s pressing mastered by Hans Nouse
    - Canadian ‘70s pressing (In USA sleeve) mastered by CAPITOL
    - 1973 Australian Quadraphonic pressing (but played with stereo equipment!)
    - 1977 UK pressing mastered by Harold T Moss (HTM)
    - 1973 2nd UK pressing A3/B3
    - 1973 1st German pressing with the O on the back
    - 2003 30th anniversary pressing mastered by Kevin Gray
    - 1979 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL aka MoFi) mastered by Stan Ricker
    - 2023 50th anniversary remastered by James Guthrie & Joel Plante for Bernie Grundman Mastering
    - 2024 50th anniversary (same mastering) but pressed on clear vinyl with UV art print.

11. Josep Fernandez

Josep Fernandez Forum Resident

The 1977 HTM is not "HARRY" ? I have copy with similar description but i dont see this "HAROLD"

(Awesome video by the way.. thanks)

drs. Daja likes this.
  12. Ziggy71

Ziggy71 Forum Resident

The name is Harry T Moss. I think he most often signed with HTM, but sometimes he also used Harry. On the A-10/B-9 issue, he uses Harry on the A side and HTM on the B side.

13. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

just fyi not all the UK B2 stampers had the skip in Money. I have a UK solid triangle 1st A2/B2 and a 2nd A3/B2 and neither have a skip on Money. I did have an A3/B3 but sold it to a friend after I got the 1st, best value for money I'd agree is the A3/B3 but my 1st plays n/mint and is sonically the best imo.

drs. Daja, SinnerSaint and hi_watt like this.
  14. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

I confirm. I probably need to double check both copies to be 100% sure, but Money does not skip on my A2/B2 and A3/B2.

Ziggy71 and drs. Daja like this.
  15. drs. Daja

Really! So sorry to make that mistake, I somehow was introduced to him as Harold. My mistake!

16. drs. Daja

That is really awesome! I will hunt down a blue triangle one with A2/B2 and will make a follow up video!

17. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

Just confirmed both my B2 do not skip.
    I would have loved to get a really clean A2/B2, but they now sell for insane amounts.

drs. Daja likes this.
  18. MetalliJoe

MetalliJoe Forum Addict

My A3/B2 does not skip on Money either. Love it and personally think side B sounds a bit hotter than side A. Put me down for a near mint A2/B2, too!

drs. Daja and hi_watt like this.
  19. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

a shootout that doesn’t include the Japanese Pro Use….?

al2813 likes this.
  20. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

Would say a shootout with two Dutch pressings and no Japanese.......still always kudos to people who make an effort and do stuff.
    By the way, I bought once a Dutch 1979 pressing based on a recommendation buried somewhere in this thread (I think). I was underwhelmed and sold it.

21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Want the coveted A3/B3 stampers for less than you would pay for a UK pressing? This is the one. I own it. Fantastic! Might be hard to find it in great condition. I did and the vinyl is quiet. Who knew EMI India somehow got the A3/B3 stampers.

Pink Floyd Archives-Indian LP Discography

ODShowtime and Ziggy71 like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Have you compared to a UK A3/B3? Those stamper IDs don't always tell the full or accurate story... unfortunately.

AaronW likes this.
  23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have not. But I have compared it to MFSL vinyl, 30th anniversary pressing, Japanese, MFSL gold CD and 50th anniversary vinyl. My India A3/B3 sonically beat them all on my system. While the pressing plant is different, the stampers are the same as UK. I agree it may not be the same, but then again it may be. What I do know is that it’s superior to all that I have tried, so it must have the “right stuff” that people rave about with a UK A3/ B3 pressing. It has something, and I believe the answer lies those matrix numbers. You know all about that. Look at the UHQR Supertramp you turned me onto.

However, that being said, I may start to search for a UK copy.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm actually curious to know if there's a pressing of Dark Side, no matter what country, with the generic green/yellow Harvest label.
    I have seen some Japanese pressing with the brown/red-ish EMI label instead of the prism, by the way.

[Edit:] Ah, just seen upthread the Indian pressing has the standard Harvest label. Any more examples?

Last edited: May 1, 2024
  25. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Long time ago in the 1980s, I used to have a Yugoslavian pressing reissue with regular yellow/green Harvest labels.

ODShowtime and andrewskyDE like this.