Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think it was used in the Monkee vs Machine episode during the Last Train To Clarksville ‘romp.’ My memory could be mistaken.

905 and FredV like this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

You can vote for Davy’s single on the Heritage Chart:

OUT NOW! The new digital single by Davy Jones' "Hangin' By A Thread / Don't Go". Available to download and stream now from iTunes, Amazon and all digital platforms. "Hangin' By A Thread" is already #39 in The Heritage Chart. Please vote on it - it's free and easy: Link - Heritage Chart Poll w/c 21st January 2024

The songs are from our expanded reissue of Davy's 1980s album "Incredible!" which will be released on CD and Vinyl on May 17th in the UK and May 24th in the US. Pre-order your copy of the album now from deepdiscount.com, Amazon and all good record shops. For more information visit Link - www.7arecords.com

3. Tom Stigler

Tom Stigler Speeds From 33.3 to 500 RPM, Depends on Artist

Any initial impressions on the BBM Mono RSD release today?

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I was able to score a copy of the Mono BBM RSD. I haven’t listened to it as I think it’s possibly the same master used for the Mono disc in the 2010 SDE.

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

From the 7a Records Facebook page:

I have just been informed that Boom Radio has added our new Davy Jones single to their regular playlist. They have 635,000 listeners per week. I cannot tell you how much it means to be able to get David’s music out there to such a broad audience on national UK radio.

6. Dereko

Dereko Well-Known Member

Surprised more fan effort isn't utilized by increasing the number of views and likes on YouTube.

7. Tom Stigler

Tom Stigler Speeds From 33.3 to 500 RPM, Depends on Artist

Quick question for the group, has anyone heard any hints at Run Out Groove taking up Headquarters or PCAJ in their double album re-release series? I though HQ at least would’ve happened by now…

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The official video of the new Davy Jones single ‘Hanging By A Thread’ on YouTube. The more views it gets the better the chances it charts!

9. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

Precedent would suggest that's all it is. The 2010 was a combination of an average quality vinyl transfer (a much better one circulates) and tape sources.

Andrew has found tapes for a few more songs, but he isn't involved in the Friday Records releases and they don't give him credit for swiping his previous work.

10. 905

905 Senior Member

I got teary-eyed seeing all those photos of David. I also dig his Micky Dolenz shirt he wears at the beginning.

11. owsley

owsley Senior Member

C'mon man, open it up and play it!!! :) We're all waiting for a review! Is it a first time mastertape reissue or just the Rhino Handmade needledrop cd on lp?

Jon H., Dereko, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I was looking at Monkees45s.net and seen that they have a double EP from Iran featuring songs from "Headquarters", the contents of which can be seen here: Monkees Iran Golden Record 1001 & 1002

While some of the songs have their correct names, there's a few misnamed ones such as "She's a Wonderful Lady" ("Randy Scouse Git"), "In This Generation" ("For Pete's Sake") or they may be slightly off but close enough to know what the song is. There's one title though that I cannot figure which song it'd be, the one titled "Like There is a Pice".

Does anybody have an idea of what that song may be?

13. takechan

takechan Forum Resident

Could be Early Morning Blues and Greens.
    From the passage 'But there's a peace'.

14. Grand_Ennui

Sounds feasible.

Tom Stigler and takechan like this.
  15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I played it. At the least, Friday does have quiet pressings. It sounds like the CD sources but I can’t be certain. If it were new sources, they would have hyped it.

Dereko, owsley and MerseyBeatle like this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Dereko, Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

^^^^ I gave it a vote last night. ^^^^

19. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Thanks. Maybe someone else here who bought the record and owns the Rhino BBM box can provide more details and a comparison.

20. 905

905 Senior Member

I came across a cool YouTube channel with lots of Monkees last night, the one video I thought I'd share is for Midnight Train. I was 9 years old during the 20th Anniversary era and remember seeing this. Before I knew better about Changes, I thought that since Midnight Train wasn't on the first two albums, maybe it was a cool B-side. To this day, it's my favorite Monkees song.

Hep Alien, cwitt1980, Dereko and 2 others like this.
  21. I got wistful too. Maybe I shouldn't be as attached to the Monkees as I am, but periodically I get so sad that three of them are gone.

Hep Alien, cwitt1980, 905 and 4 others like this.
  22. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I totally agree. Lousy as a single. It's a weak track that was just OK as a deep cut. I like the song but it's definitely a weaker link in their catalog.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Great post. Sometimes it is hard for me to believe, three are gone. Time marches on unfortunately.

24. takechan

takechan Forum Resident

I found a broadcast recording of this article.
    The contributor appears to have recorded it on a tape recorder at the time.
    It can be heard from around the 3:45 minute mark. It is only 10 seconds long, but it is the song 'Rainy Jane' that Davy sang on a Japanese TV programme in 1972.
    [​IMG]

25. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Did Micky sing I'm a Believer before or after Shrek did it? I forgot.

Hep Alien and intv7 like this.