Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. takechan

takechan Forum Resident

This probably took place in the summer.
    During winter visits, concerts and dinner shows were the main events.
    To be sure, I would check the documentation.

2. takechan

takechan Forum Resident

In Japan, the Monkees TV series ended on 31 January 1969.
    However, only a few months later, the TV series began to be rerun. Just during the school summer holidays.

First re-run of the Monkees TV series in Japan.
    21 July-10 September 1969.
    8:00-10:30am.
    (TBS, CBC, ABC, RBK).

There may have been further reruns the following year.
    These circumstances may explain why the Monkees remained popular in Japan in the early 1970s.
    [​IMG]

3. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

All I know so far is that it was pressed by RTI. So it's a new pressing and not the same as found in the mono box set.

Isamet and cwitt1980 like this.
  4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Take a look at the shirt Ian McLagan (second from right) is wearing in the photo on the cover of the Faces BBC Session Recordings RSD release:

[​IMG]

5. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

That's nifty.

Is that perhaps the most unflattering photo of Rod Stewart ever published? Looks like a cross between Ray Davies and...W.C. Fields??? :magoo:

6. DropDeadLegos

DropDeadLegos Forum Resident

Any word on any new forthcoming Nesmith releases?

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I haven't heard of any forthcoming Nesmith releases. I have heard that Nesmith's estate may still not be 100% settled, which could be a reason why there's nothing in the pipeline.

The only Monkees related releases that I know of is the upcoming (May 24, 2024) reissue of Davy Jones' "Incredible!" album.

Hep Alien, Dereko, RobRoyF and 3 others like this.
  8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

What did the lp from the mono box set sound like? I'm thinking it was the digitally sourced needledrop from the BBM Handmade box and the RSD press is as well. But no one has yet confirmed or denied this

9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

The recent RSD issue was IMPECCABLY mastered by LONG-TIME Monkees friend Joe Reagoso using Colgem's MONO MASTER tape and pressed on STUNNING coral vinyl!

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

No box LP in my collection but I listened to the RSD and it sounds like the CD (as noted in this thread already). Sure, maybe I could A/B it at some point but that seems like an 'impeccable' waste of time. I would give up any hopes of it being some new secret master from an all analog source. That is NOT going to happen. They didn't hype it. It's Friday Music. We KNOW the deal. But.... the pressing is quiet and mine was flat. It has that going for it.

Hep Alien and owsley like this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't know why it took me so long to listen to the full episode of Andrew Sandoval's Come To The Sunshine Nesmith tribute he did after he passed. At the time, I was hoping he would put it up on podomatic at a better bitrate. Then I didn't realize I could click on WFMU's site and listen there. At any rate, I finally did and had no idea he played so much unreleased stuff.

Did any of you guys listen when it first aired? I'm curious if the quality would have been better hearing the show live as opposed to the links provided (probably 128k bitrate is my guess). Even between two links (one being a re-air), the sound is a little different (probably due to whatever compression settings the station had between the two airings). Basically, I'd really like to hear this in it's best quality possible if it's an option. Had I known he would never put the show up at his usual 320kbps bitrate on podomatic, I probably would have sat at home that day with my recorder.

Hep Alien, Dereko, RobRoyF and 2 others like this.
  12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

That's the buzz I was hoping to hear about the RSD. If it had been from a mastertape there would have been MAJOR buzz here on SHF and elsewhere

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Until Rhino gets some fresh blood, I wouldn’t expect any vinyl reissues like that concerning The Monkees. For now, they merely license whatever is already done to Friday. I would at least like to see they used high resolution transfers that were made when the mono was reassembled for CD but I even doubt that.

RobRoyF likes this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Oh yeah, you probably know this already, but not everything on the BBM SD was a needle drop. Someplace deep in this forum, I think someone made a list of what’s apparent and what’s not. I think anything that ever was cut out of the master and used for a single, there was a tape source at the time. Too bad as I am willing to bet Andrew has located better sources in the past decade or so since the SD release.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Tom Stigler

Tom Stigler Speeds From 33.3 to 500 RPM, Depends on Artist

The option that intrigues me as potential pathway for the new or updated sources or master tapes that may have been found was Run Out Groove. Owned by Rhino, a vehicle (only LP unfortunately) for new stuff to make it to the public.

However a quick check of the ROG site shows the ‘More of the Monkees (Green vinyl) is still available….

More Of The Monkees Deluxe Edition - GREEN VINYL Edition

it would seem, Friday Music (all opinions acknowledged) is the only activity at the moment

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  16. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I'm guessing some others here have already thought the same. Does this mean Run Out Groove won't offer up eventually Headquarters on vinyl since More Monkees has not sold out? I wanna be very wrong on this thought.

Hep Alien and Alan G like this.
  17. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

This is a good guess and an unfortunate one. I would like to see more Rhino Monkees vinyl but it is likely not in the cards.

18. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

He says that he has, but still not for every song.

Hep Alien, cwitt1980 and rlp like this.
  19. Dereko

Dereko Well-Known Member

Reading Sandoval's Monkees Bible .. the part I'm currently reading is about the first recordings of "I wanna be free" .. it states 'Davy's performance will become more focused and tighter overall as the session progresses. Take 5 will be featured on the Run Out Groove 2021 vinyl version of The Monkees debut album.'

Can someone who owns this give some insight on this particular take?

Thanks in advance

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  20. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

According to Run Out Groove, initially, 8500 numbered copies of MOTM were pressed, 6615 on black vinyl, 1885 on green. I don't know, maybe they decided to press more. But Andrew said in a podcast last year that HQ was in the works and he hinted about it in a recent Instagram post where he made what we believe is a reference tape from a recently opened Colgems HQ.
    -----------------------------------------

Released on April 8, 2021

ROGV-155
    Black Vinyl (6615 copies)

Dereko and cwitt1980 like this.
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I don't know if anyone has shared this before but someone on YouTube is posting isolated track breakdowns of various Monkees tunes. Some very interesting stuff.

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Good news then. I do wonder about the state of Run Out Groove itself. Anyone following them? Are they actively still putting out new releases?

Dereko likes this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Do you recall which countries would have received mono dubs originally? Was it Argentina and Australia that had dedicated mono mixes? At the very least, a found dub is better than nothing.

Dereko likes this.
  24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Also, I would be quite okay with the HQ remix making its way to vinyl. I’m guessing no high resolution version is on any platforms.

Dereko and marc with a c like this.
  25. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I've not seen much movement from them, myself. It's a shame, because there's only a small team working on ROG, and they are REALLY dedicated to quality. It's a shame if they're kaput.

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.