Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Hold on a second....This is something you have repeated a few times over the course of this thread. What exactly does Spizer say, or not say, that makes you think including the fold downs for RS and Beatles VI was SUPPOSED to happen? You seem to get hung up on the phrase "original mono masters" and "first time in mono on CD". In both the Press Release and Spizer's webpage the phrase "original 1965 mono mixes as made by George Martin" appears, just not everywhere. If it's stated once, that should suffice. More importantly, over on Wollensack's thread it's been clearly stated that Capitol indeed made a mistake, that the fold downs WERE NOT meant for release and that somehow this "error" will be corrected. It's really as simple as that. Ron

2. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Ron, that's getting old. You have used that line repeatedly after saying we were getting the original mono recordings and not fold-downs. When this is all over you will find out that there is no way that Capitol will do anything else with the box-set. It's admirable that someone in the recording end want's to change it but the CEO has the final say and he will do exactly as he's advised to do by the chief financial officer who will only get additional advise from the legal department. It all comes down to what the CFO advises CEO to do. He WILL advise him to do nothing and release on schedule. NOW, the only way it won't come down this way is if the legal dept. catches a problem, like the one you and others have presented as legally wrong. We'll soon find out!

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Sandman to Viper command.......You WILL obey your orders."
    Waxman's decsription reminds me of Donald Sutherland and Morgan Freeman in "Outbreak". Now, who's Dustin Hoffman?

4. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Wait a minute... Wasn't Beatles VI already mastered at the same time as vol 1?

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I would like to put my 2 cents in. I have pretty much kept up with this thread and I find a lot of good information mixed with some anger and hostility. I myself do not know anything about this release, I don't know anyone at Capitol, and I never met Spizer, but I appreciate everyone's concern regarding this title. I will probably buy this title no matter which way it turns out, but I have to say that it is because of threads like this that I hang out here at the Steve Hoffman forum. You guys are really passionate about this stuff, and I really appreciate it.

6. brainwashed

....and you know this will be the end result because.....fill in the blank. More than 2 million booklets were destroyed, then re-printed, when Paul McCartney ordered a track re-shuffling on Anthology 2. This cost EMI a lot of money. Mistakes do get made, and mistakes can be corrected, costs be damned. I never, ever presented any argument that Capitol would be forced to correct this "mistake" due to any legal language in their Press Release. That's an inane argument. Please don't put me in the category of those who think this to be so. I also never accused anyone of lying, or implied it...and never thought it was an April Fool's joke. Ron

7. brainwashed

If Capitol is admitting to an horrible error of some sort, I would expect the problem to be fixed. And yes, I said we'd be getting original mono recordings because that was clearly the intent all along. Do you understand that somehow a mistake was made by someone in the chain of command? Fold-downs for Rubber Soul and Beatles VI were NEVER intended to be released. Now, we can only hope the problem will be rectified. Ron

8. rubbersounds

This could mean that the mono fold-down of Beatles VI was made last year!

9. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I thought it was Early Beatles that was done at the time of Volume 1. I could be wrong though.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Correction is commonplace where a mistake such as this occurs with a release from a major label. I fully expect replacement discs to be made available.

A recall would indeed be expensive and therefore undesirable but offering two replacement discs to those who want them will not cost Capitol/EMI much in the overall scheme of things.

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What was the track re-shuffling ?

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

That Means A Lot was the third track on the first disc and I'm Down was the sixth. However, Paul didn't want the weak That Means A Lot being his first lead vocal track on the disc.

I own the CD booklet, back insert and cassette inserts showing the original track listing. For years the CD booklet was rare as hen's teeth and commanded around $150.00 (I purchased just the CD booklet for this price back in 1997 or so). However, the former Capitol employee who smuggled these out of the Jacksonville, Illinois plant (in his lunch bucket) sold his remaining stock of booklets, back inserts and cassette inserts to Rockaway Records in L.A. and all three can be purchased for around $30.00 nowadays.

13. brainwashed

I'm Down was moved from track 6, to track 3. Otherwise, Lennon would have sung the first 3 songs, followed by Ringo's If You've Got Troubles...this was not standard Beatles protocol....and McCartney ordered the change. Ron

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Dang, the wrong part of the dream came true! :yikes: I wouldn't have minded receiving the proper mixes last Friday. :agree: My order hasn't gone through yet - still trying to decide whether to cancel until Capitol fixes things.

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

No -- it was "The Early Beatles" that was remastered with vol. 1, because for a time it wasn't settled whether "TEB" would be included in vol. 1 or 2.

16. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Ok so you adamantly say that the RS & VI fold-down's were unintentional error's! I say the fold-downs on this set were put there as they were intended to be and there is no error. :thumbsup: Peace out.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Intended by whom?

18. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Well, for what it's worth, Capitol themselves seems to think it's an error and are planning to correct it. That's good enough for me. :righton:

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Attached Files:

20. brainwashed

Waxman please...this is not my theory or opinion...members of this forum have been told that it was an error, and that it will be corrected. It's seems obvious to everyone but you that this was never done intentionally....

21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh: I like it! Actually though, I meant the price was a couple of bucks cheaper when I ordered than what is now listed. :)

Maybe it means "Remastered Canadian edition" and features the proper mono mixes. :winkgrin:

23. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

You know bloody well you won't cancel. Hell, the friggin' cover artwork is your avatar!

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:p

I chose it before the info on the mess-up surfaced!

25. rubbersounds

"Jensen had the Rubber Soul, Help! and The Early Beatles tapes in his mastering suite, along with CD-R cut from first pressing vinyl so he could compare."
    And there's this:
    ...from post #116 on this thread:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=74190&page=6&pp=20&highlight=Michael+Fremer

So Beatles VI must have already been done in fake mono back then :shh: , or they did a new fake mono for the new box, or... ...my head hurts. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.