Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

I thought they would do something in June for the 40th anniversary for Y&T but according to Bruce Spizer no box set or anything is planned.

AHDN was never in stereo but they did release the instrumentals in stereo. They acutally just took the mono version of the Beatles songs and tried to "rechannel" it in stereo. I wonder if they'll release that version?

I agree on Hollywood Bowl, but I think it should be in Vol. 4 if at all. I would vote for these in Vol. 3:

Y&T
    Revolver or AHDN
    MMT
    Hey Jude

Not sure what they'll do about Hey Jude...it was on Apple but it was a US album...Does Capitol own this one now ? I have the cassette from the late 80's and I think it is on Capitol :)

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Dreeeeeeam, Dream Away" Oh, hey! Speaking of John, The Simpsons used "Nobody Loves You" on tonight's episode. Pretty obsure, huh?

3. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

4. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

I don't know. I just looked at my discs, and they all say "Made in the EU" in the rim text and on the right-hand side of the label. Here's the info on Rubber Soul:

- line 1: 00946 3603352 5
    - line 2: 00946 3603392 1

(compact disc logo)

- line 3: BEL BIEM LC 0148
    - line 4: Made in the EU

Note that all the discs have the same info, except for line 2:

00946 3603372 3 (Beatles VI)
    00946 3603362 4 (The Early Beatles)
    00946 3603382 2 (Help!)

Now, on the back of the discs, I found this info:

fpi AAH11 010102 (Help!)
    fpi AAHB8 010106 (The Early Beatles)
    fpi AAHG8 010106 (Beatles VI)
    fpi AAH59 010103 (Rubber Soul)

Perhaps this will speak to someone here ?

5. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Well Im hoping this error is only on the EUR sets and not the US versions. I know this doesnt help you much Rob, and I hope you can get a replacement ( i would personally keep the error version and buy the correct one :) )

6. Robert Lan

HMV Japan is selling the European pressing this morning (GMT+9). I just checked their website. Clearly, Capitol has not yet pulled the faulty sets.

7. Robert Lan

Yes, of course. I'll keep the faulty box and wait for the Japanese pressing. Hopefully it will come out after all the corrections have been made.

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Robert, with all this talk about the mistaken mono fold-downs...how do the original 1965 STEREO mixes sound throughout the set? Ron

9. Robert Lan

I still haven't had time to listen to the stereo mixes ! :) Got up late this morning. Give me another hour or so.

10. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Hey maybe they'll give us the Help "gatefold" cover in the corrected box (NOT!) :help: :laugh:

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Okay, it's been an hour or so... :winkgrin:

12. You were warned that there was a wollensack thread ...
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=76973

13. Robert Lan

Just listened to Rubber Soul and Help! on my main system. I also compared some of the tracks with the 1987 official CDs. To my ears/system, the new US set has a much wider, larger soundstage. Everything is brought forward. It is a bit louder, too. I checked the soundwaves to a few of the tracks in Audacity, and they were definitely not maximized. Others here with more professional software (and expertise) will surely present a better analysis; so I'll leave that alone. Same thing regarding the use of NR or other associated futzing: while I can't hear anything wrong with the new set, I'll leave the analysis to our forum experts.

What strikes me the most is the clarity of the voices: they're consistently well-defined, with great separation. You can easily hear the added echo on the vocals throughout Help!, for example. It's also clear that Rubber Soul was not mastered from the Dexterized tapes. The extra echo isn't there. On the Help! soundtrack, "Ticket To Ride" doesn't sound too impressive, but I don't think that can be helped. The instrumentals breathe a bit more, especially the orchestral parts. The 'James Bond' theme, for instance, has plenty of depth and sounds somewhat more natural: you can tell the strings apart, all the way to the back, right of center. (Sorry about that. I know most of you can't be bothered with the instrumentals.) The cymbal on "The Night Before" has a very nice sheen to it—smooth, very smooth. Other highlights: the vocals in "It's Only Love" are exceptionally well-defined; same with "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away;" the bass in "Wait" is clean and very tight. I'll have to run comparisons with the best US and UK vinyl pressings I have.

I think those who like forward presentations with good 'presence' in the vocals will love these two remasters.

14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Thanks for posting. How's the electic organ (keyboard?) on "The Night Before"? Still prominent just like the original mix? That's one of the things that got changed in the 1987 remix.

15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Sounds worth the price to me, even if the monos are whacked. thanks!! :righton:

16. Robert Lan

Here are a few Rubber Soul soundwave grabs I took from the new set. "Norwegian Wood," "Think For Yourself," and "The Word."

Attached Files:

17. Robert Lan

More grabs, from Help! this time. I keep them low res on purpose. I think you can still get a pretty good idea.

Attached Files:

18. Robert Lan

Yes, the electric piano is higher in the mix on the new set. More forward, also. You can hear the guitar and the piano very distinctly in the right channel. Instruments are extremely well-defined on this track. As mentioned earlier, the cymbal sounds really nice. I'd say there's more 'palpability' to the presentation. The 1987 mix is pulled back and definitely not as clear compared to the new one. It is also much easier to compare the added echo on the voices in each mix: Dexter's echo doesn't sound quite like the digital echo used on the 1987 mix. I can't say that Dexter's is "more natural," or that it sounds "better," of course. But the added resolution of the 2006 remaster exposes it better. I'm sure a lot of people will love this new stereo remaster.

19. Robert Lan

Grabs from Beatles VI.

Attached Files:

20. Robert Lan

Grabs from The Early Beatles.

Attached Files:

21. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

That means that all EU pressings are affected. Ifpu AAH is the old EMI pressing plant in Uden, Holland, now known as Mediamotion. They would be pressing all the EU discs there (unless EMI UK did a run at Swindon for the UK and Ireland -- but that would be quite unlikely). :thumbsdn:

Ken

22. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

To be clear, Beatlefest didn't have these directly for sale. You could only pre-order. But there were at least THREE copies of the set with certain individuals that I saw while walking around.

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It's here and it's wrong.......

Vol 2 is available on the high street here in England:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I listened to Rubber Soul and went straight to the mono "I'm Looking Through You" - false start is there :sigh:.

On a positive note, the stereo Rubber Soul sounded great :agree:. I suppose it should compared to the 1987 digital remix.......

I listened to a bit of Help too and I will enjoy having the US soundtrack version complete with incidental music.

However, I didn't buy the set. I couldn't find anywhere that stocked the "short box" and since I already have Vol 1 in that format I want Vol 2 to match it. Anyway, I will wait until we know how the mistake will be corrected before I buy this.

:)

25. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Wouldn't it be funny if the EU pressings of this set (of albums aimed at the US market) become rare collectibles? If it turns out that all the pressings are bad, maybe they will just let it come out as is & offer a disc exchange for those who want it.

Dexter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.