Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I take it that there is a rumour about that some or all of the mono mixes on the upcoming discs are fold-downs, that the true mono tape was not located? Sounds like hooey.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

fold-downs...perhaps.

hooey.....perhaps not.

lukpac likes this.
  3. I found the Wollensack quote from the last thread:

"Stop the presses!!! I just noticed something VERY interesting on "Rubber Soul". I believe it may be a fold-down mono.

Paul stopping his guitar completely on "I've Just Seen A Face" is absent, I can't hear the obvious cough in the mono "Norwegian Wood" and the mono "I'm Looking Through You" has the false start!

Oh boy...the Forum will certainly have something to say about this!"

And for everyone else who does not know, HGN2001 (Harry) heard Wollensack's copy and indeed the false start is there on both stereo & mono. No mention of the "east coast" versions with the added echo. Hmm . . . . .

4. If this is all true, I am bummed. Ron, I hope you're right about this!

5. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

You're not the only one! :(

It just doesn't make any sense! Why in the world would they release an immaculate first volume and then totally screw up the second?? :confused: I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

6. I think what everyone needs to take at face value is that HGN2001 and Wollensack have heard what they heard. Also, as radio station employees and, to an extent, "insiders," if they say what they have came from Capitol, we have to trust them. WE haven't seen what they've seen. WE haven't heard what they've heard. No more talk about this being an April Fool's joke or that they have been duped. Give them a little credit. They deserve a LOT more than a little credit--they reported their findings here and put us all on notice, and I am sure they are just as aghast at this as we are.

I can only hope that Capitol messed up and pressed some CD's with the wrong tapes, and further hope that they will correct the problem. The alternative--that Capitol did this on purpose--is unfathomable.

7. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

The set is on its way. The EMS website indicates the package left Japan at 4am today. (Remember: I'm GMT+8 here.) Should be here later this afternoon. I'll let you know when it comes in.

8. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

...or as the **** hits the Beatle fan! :laugh:

9. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Eric....have no fears my friend. One correction if I may...Wollensack NEVER said his set came from Capitol. He clearly said he would NOT say how or from whom he got it. That was one of my major issues from his first posting. There's also some tangible proof that even the packaging he describes, is not the official packaging either....so it's possible he was sent some advanced copy....and no, that doesn't necessarily mean it's marked "advanced copy" anywhere on the set.

Put it this way, not other contact in the US seemingly has this set, except for Wollensack....if he hadn't posted, none of this hysteria.....or apprehension would be taking place. I'm sure he meant well, but there's a reason he stopped posting....his own post mentioned three specific songs from mono Rubber Soul (and possibly a few from Beatles VI)...what about the other mono mixes? He's had 2 days and nights to listen (last I knew a DJ works about a 4 hour shift ;) :shh: so one would assume he's had plenty of time to digest the set. If he now knows the set is not the final released version, he should say so....Let me stress once again, NO ONE in any other music forum, Beatles forum, the entertainment field or internet has heard this set yet....or posted specifics about it. Everything else is pure conjecture....and none of it would have been raised without Wollensack's post.....which by the way...sort of just appeared....little fanfare by him, other than to question the RS mono mixes. It didn't help that his friend Harry sort of became his spokesperson...something that continues even now. Calm down everyone....Ron

10. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

I'll post my findings as soon as my set arrives. I had it on pre-order with HMV Japan. This is the European pressing. I'm sure this will be an official version of the box. (BTW, EMI-Toshiba has yet to announce a Japanese pressing of the box.)

I just read Wollensack's posts regarding the mono tracks from Rubber Soul being fold-downs. I'll find out soon enough and let everyone know. I'll also find out whether the stereo mix of RS is the 'Dexterized' or the 'regular' version.

11. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Just listened to my mono Rubber Soul (US) and I will say, I'm gonna miss that cough in "Norwegian Wood" if these reports about the box set are true.

12. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

According to Bruce Spizer's email to me, Rubber Soul will not be the Dave Dexter version with echo added. That was a second issue...The original pressing was the regular stereo mixes by George Martin in 1965. However, I do believe "The Word" is also a different mix in the US aside from "Im Looking Through You".

Rob, Can you also tell us if "Help!" is the gatefold cover or not when you get your set ?

13. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Me too..I always thought Rubber Soul was better in mono...I first heard it when I got the Japan "Original Monaural Recording" box sets....I was completely blown away at the quality..Then I heard Dr. Ebbett's :)

14. True, it could very well be a bootleg, perhaps from Russia or China, with well done packaging. I HOPE that's what it is! However, I have discounted that theory in my head. . . I just think that Wollensack would know the difference between a bootleg and the real thing . . . I am starting to have a sneaky suspicion that we will all be very disappointed . . . we'll know soon . . .

15. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

I am hoping that Wollensack really did receive an advance promo copy with the wrong mixes only because Capitol doesnt want the correct retail version to be out before the release date.
    I find it strange though that all the cd sleeves have the "Full Dimensional Stereo" banner on them now, but Vol. 1 did not have those.

However, I still find it strange that the press release specifically points out which mixes are what, and where the stereo to fold-down mono mixes are. It just wouldnt make sense for them to release something that's not advertised. I believe we WILL get the correct mixes on April 11 :)

This is why there are people like Dr. Ebbett's out there :)

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If I'm not mistaken, Capitol didn't "invent" Full Dimensional Stereo until 1965, so that banner wouldn't have been on any of the original 1964 LPs.

17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll say this once more....have no fear...the set we get April 11 will have the correct mixes. Ron

18. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Well I have seen copies of the first four with the "Capitol Full Dimensional Stereo" logo across the top but it may have only been done on later pressings (?). I believe the 1965 albums from Beatles VI onward say "New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo" ?

19. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Does anyone know why "The Beatles' Story" was skipped ? I know that it wasn't exactly a new Beatles album at the time but it was released by Capitol right before "Beatles '65", and it did contain interviews and Beatles music. As bad as it was, I would think many fans would want that one released on cd.
    I can understand why "A Hard Day's Night" wasn't in there...It was a United Artists album in 1964 (later acquired by Capitol in 1980). Maybe they will issue it later in another box set?

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, you're right -- it was "Full Dimensional Stereo" in 1964, and then "New Improved" in 1965. Are you saying that the new CD sleeves only say "Full Dimensional Stereo"? That would be odd -- except for "The Early Beatles," which was released under the "Full Dimensional Stereo" banner....

Folks, this is what we call "twiddling our thumbs" while we wait to hear from our friend in Taipei....... :-|

21. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Well in the EPK Video it looks as if they all say Full Dimensional Stereo across the top, but in Vol. 1 the covers didnt say mono or stereo (at least mine dont :mad: )

I would think they could have altered the logo to say both stereo & mono..I've seen boot versions of these that did that, and Im sure Capitol has far better graphics or printing facilities than some bootlegger :)

22. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Have any of us ever stepped back and looked at these releases saying "WOW..I can't believe these are finally on cd officially!!" ? I know I have! I remember a time when Apple claimed that these albums would NEVER see an official release because they were so against it.
    It's really a treasure to finally have these on officially released and remastered cd's....Just hoping they got Vol. 2 correct as stated in the press release. Oh, and then there's Vol. 3!! I still hope for these:

Yesterday & Today - original stereo & mono
    Revolver - stereo & mono
    Sgt. Pepper - stereo & mono
    Magical Mystery Tour - original US stereo & mono

and....

The Capitol US Singles Collection :goodie:

Scooterpiety likes this.
  23. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

24. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

If I felt sure that I had shared first hand, exclusive information about a new CD release that the majority of my fellow forum members had been anxiously waiting to hear about for a long time and then read the replies that I've seen here, I'd be doing exactly what Wollensack's doing right now.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  25. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.