Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Okay..just got back from the first night of Beatlefest.

I went to Bruce Spizer's table and saw the box set and held it and the individual cds in my hands.

By the way, before I go any further..those of you that go to Beatlefest here in New Jersey this weekend...if you pre-order the new Capitol box set from Beatlefest they are GIVING AWAY a copy of the sampler for the box!!! I walked out with one tonight. They get the pre-order, you get the sampler in your hands right then and there.

Concerning the packaging...the outer slipcase is THICKER cardboard than the first volume. The individual cd sleeves are a touch smaller than the last ones so that the cds don't come flying out....and they aren't yellowish looking either. AND....the inner box that had the cds flying out the ends when you took it out of the slipcase now has the openings on the INSIDE of the fold so that they stay put! I know that a lot of you guys will like this part....the album titles are on the spines of their respective cds!! Capitol/Apple listened to fans' concerns about the last box and made changes.

The Help album is NOT a gatefold as it would have taken too long to produce (proofs going back and forth etc.) and it would have held up the box set. From what Bruce said at the listening preview, he only got the call that the set was a go in January.

The cd labels look like the labels produced at Capitol in Scranton, PA. using that style type and font.

The book is NICE and a lot better than the book that came with the first volume with many unpublished pictures in it.

At the listening preview for the box set, Bruce played about a dozen stereo tracks. I actually got chills when he played Norwegian Wood. It sounded phenomenal!!! Some of the other tracks that he played were Please, Please Me (with the flubbed words in the third verse), Help (with the James Bond intro) and In My Life.

There was some discussion about a POSSIBLE third volume. He said that any third volume would be for odds and ends (my words). Nothing is set in stone but Bruce said that he would rather that Revolver NOT be in the set since it was the same as the Brits minus three tracks. He did say that if it were his choice, he would start with Yesterday & Today (with the trunk cover), the Hard Day's Night album and possibly Hey Jude.

But that is all up to Apple and they can only listen to his suggestions and accept or take them. IF and only IF they ever got to a volume 4 would you see things like Love Songs, Reel Music, Rock And Roll Music, etc. He would NOT opt for 20 Greatest Hits.

Anyway, the set looks nice. I'm tired. It's 3:38 A.M. here in New Jersey and I'm going to bed. :)

2. Uh-oh ...

So I log into 101cd.com to see if the expected delivery date had changed:

"Items on your order

1 x The Beatles ~ The Capitol Albums Volume 2 (CD Album) £24.99 Shipped"

!! Shipped !!

This is not an April Fool's joke, so it looks like it's already here in Europe. Could this be where Woolensack's copy is sourced from?

3. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Hawkman,

Thanks for posting this and I know you must have been very tired when you typed your post...but we're still none the wiser on here as to whether or not the original mono mixes have been used for Rubber Soul. Did you get to hear ANY mono tracks? What about the sampler? Anything on there???

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is some rational explanation for why Wollensack had a Rubber Soul CD in his set with stereo fold-down mixes on it, and that we're going to get the 'real deal' when the set comes out next week.

Finally I have to say I disagree with Bruce Spizer about the Y&T trunk cover (it's got to be a Butcher sleeve!) and NOT including the Capitol configuration of Revolver in the next set...it MUST be included to keep the theme of the series consistent. After all it's how Americans and Canadians would have heard that LP in 1966!

Scooterpiety likes this.
  4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Something really odd is going on here isn't it? I've just looked at the 101cd.com and it states a 3rd April release date but some other UK retail sites are still showing April 10th!

5. I'll get back to you all re: the set that shipped yesterday.

Given that 101cd.com are based in Jersey, I ceratainly won't be getting it on Monday ...

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Plus, we need all those mono mixes on CD!

Having the Butcher Cover on the next set is a no-brainer. It will help sales. It will be neat pulling the CD out of a mini replica of the Butcher sleeve.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

That would be heavenly.:love::thumbsup:

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

If that was the case, why would Wollensack be so secretive about the source then?

9. To avoid landing someone in deep doodoo? He did report it a couple of days ago, don't forget ...

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

According to 101cd.com my copy has shipped also. I was gonna cancel the order if it was conclusively proven Capitol had blown it, but that ship has sailed (literally!). :laugh:

12. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

Small world !

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Great report Hawk...but DUDE, you have to tell us about the sampler!!!!!!!!!!! :righton:
    PS Did you ASK Spizer about the mono mixes, specifically on Rubber Soul? You knew this was your homework assignment...did you not? :agree:

14. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Seems like we're all now waiting on Hawk to awake from his slumber and tell us if he did indeed do his homework! I hope he's going to get on here soon and put us all out of our misery once and for all...I've almost bitten my fingernails completely off in anticipation.

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I find this curious too. Hawkman was aware of the controversy about the mono mixes - I know that Wollensack had contacted Spizer and stated as much on this forum - Hawkman had contact with Spizer, so what happened? I'm as anxious as any of you guys to resolve this controversy. I want to know whether I'm finally going to get these "unique" Capitol mono mixes, or am I just to be satisfied with getting the stereo tracks?

Harry

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm told that all that someone with the sampler would need to do is to listed to the two versions of "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party." The stereo version has a "woo" before the guitar solo that's supposedly not on the US mono. Yet this sampler mono version supposedly has it too.

Harry

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Long box buyers getting theirs a week early. I'll wait.

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Boy, there never is a day at SH.tv without an interesting Beatles thread...:D

If nothing else, the box set will be interesting listening....

:ed:

19. Hawkman

Bruce said that he would pick the trunk cover because that's the way it came out. He said that pictures of the butcher cover would be covered in the book that goes with the set. He is giving a slide presentation this morning about the Butcher Cover at Beatlefest. But as I type this in my jammies, there is a half hour to go before that happens. Don't think I'll make it.

There are some folks here who said that they had been in contact with him and one said that they even had a call in to him. I figure that if someone has a call in to him that they know him much more intimately than I ever will and I didn't want to steal anyone's thunder by posting.

His table was busy and I was grateful that he at least let me handle the set. In fact, he was gracious enough to chat a bit as much as he could with folks who came to the table. I also noticed that he was nice enough to let a few folks handle the set who had asked. He was also instrumental in letting people know about the pre-order/sampler deal. If it hadn't been for him, I never would have known.

As far as the sampler goes, I think someone has posted the track listing but here it is again stereo/mono:

1/9) Baby It's You
    2/10) Boys
    3/11) What You're Doing
    4/12) I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
    5/13) The Night Before
    6/14) You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    7/15) Think For Yourself
    8/16) I've Just Seen A Face

I'm listening to it for the first time as I type this. It's GREAT!

Bruce did mention something at the preview that I think is worth noting again. As far as the box design goes, since the first set came the way it did, Capitol wanted to stay consistent. Hence it looks like the first set did. What I think is worth mentioning again is that Capitol/Apple DID listen to complaints about the packaging on the first volume and took them to heart and FIXED what was wrong. They are commited to keeping the Beatles legacy in the US alive and I think that needs to be commended. We are lucky that we even have a VOLUME 2 much less a Volume One of Capitol albums. Apple, he said, didn't want the conflict of two versions (Meet/With The Beatles for instance) and were persuaded to release them in a box set so the folks knew exactly what they were buying.

Bruce mentioned specifically Andy Slater (I hope that I remembered his name correctly) and a few other people at Capitol who really were passionate about this program. Let's not forget that a few years ago this set would have been unthinkable at Apple. These people, and Bruce, got the ball rolling and here we are with Volume 2 and talking Volume 3.

I'll say this. The sampler contains nothing that gives anything away if anything is wrong. At the preview, Bruce specifically played tracks that WEREN'T on the sampler and since most of the revelations were in the stereo mixes, that's what he played.

Consider this also...a few years ago when Universal released the Back To The Future films in a box set, someone with a laserdisc and lot of time noticed that the aspect ratio of the second film was off when compared to the laserdisc. I love these films and even I didn't notice for Pete's sake. The number of people who even care about this I'm sure is considerably less than the number of people who care about the Beatles mono/stereo mixes. Universal did the right thing and exchanged the 'wrong' disc for a new one when you sent it back. I'm sure that if there are any issues with the new set that Capitol will step up and do the right thing, given their level of commitment to this series.

Again, let me say that I find it amazing that in 2006 I can hold the Capitol albums in my hands in MONO AND STEREO when in 1987 the idea of that was like sunlight and Dracula at Apple. Perhaps a 'thank you' might be in order to those mentioned above who got this, and are getting, this done.

Just my humble opinion. :D

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Can you tell us if there is a "whoo" before the guitar break on the mono "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party"?

21. Hawkman

Oh geez! I don't know how I forgot to mention this!! He said at the preview that the UK albums ARE being remastered but when the come out is anyone's guess at this point in time.

22. Hawkman

It's there.

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Crap, that's a fold-down then. :thumbsdn:

lukpac likes this.
  24. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I'm not sure if this is good news or bad.

25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Enjoy the show :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.