Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

I think you've reversed tomoz's process. I believe he is referring to taking the stereo left into a processor's left channel, doing the same with the right into the right channel of the processor and then summing the two channels from the processor out to mono. Then you have separate eq, compression, limiting, ect in the chain on each individual channel but the difference is heard and recorded in mono. Common practice at the studio's in the 60's and at Waxman's today. :laugh:

2. william shears

william shears Senior Member

If they are taking a two-track/two-channel format and bringing together those two channels by judicious gain and balance control then they are actually 'mixing' a new mono master rather than 're-mixing'. But I think thats what you meant Thomoz
    :thumbsup:

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I follow what he’s saying. He defines fold-down the same way I do in a later post.

4. Tubeman

As much as I do it I can't believe I haven't already thought of this. If anyone on the forum would fold-down a stereo version of a song on one of the new Beatle CD's and then compare it to the mono version on the CD it would reveal if the mono fold-down's were simply summed or if remastering work had actually been done.

5. Another Side

Are you talking about the known mono fold downs or the “accidental” mono fold downs from this set?

My guess is there are mastering differences in mono fold downs in general. I would think (although I don’t know for sure) that there are no mono masters for the US Help! album and the Early Beatles. The engineer would take the stereo master for Help! and then flip the mono switch, but he would still do the mastering at that stage. And theoretically a mono fold down would require different mastering than a stereo master. But that wouldn't be exactly the way you do it.

6. Tubeman

Not TEB or Help! It would have to be done off either VI or RS, I would suggest RS. The types of difference's I'm talking about would not be noticeable in a simple fold-down that was polished in final mixing, with e.q. and so forth on the overall sum, I'd expect that in a touched up fold-down. But when you're re-processing separately, out of the individual channels you can effect many things into the final-mono-remaster, most times to the good, if you know what you're doing.

7. Another Side

We'll have to wait and see... :shh:

8. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

So is the faulty set going to be the standard retail release or will these become a rare pressing eventually ? Just wondering if its worth seeking out ;)

9. Another Side

See #782... :shh:

10. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

That doesnt tell me much :sigh:

11. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

From post #703:
    Nobody tried it yet I guess.

12. Tubeman

Takes time :thumbsup: I'm sure someone is comparing.

13. william shears

Very interesting to see from the pics of the french bought EU edition of this set that it is not copy protected. The bunch of EU copies of Vol 1 I saw down her in Australasia were all EMI copyprotected. That this set is not is a good sign as it may mean that we don't get this idiotic system applied to any of the UK remasters..... if they ever come that is :sigh:

14. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

I copied Vol. 1 for my brother just fine...Is the anti-copy thing just a warning or is it actually copy-protected ?

15. william shears

On the US pressings there was no copy protection..just the FBI warning. The EU versions I saw all had EMIs system. In my case the third disc of that last set wouldn't play on any of the four cd players I had at home! I've had the same problem with some of the blue note EU pressings that had copy protection. Big time suckiness!!

16. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I'm thinking April 11 is going to be quite a day for the US release. This thread is going to be flooded even more with comments such as "My set is... Well, my set has... Where did you buy yours?... Do you have?... Is it a cube or long box?...etc.

17. posieflump

posieflump New Member

My Eu-pressed, UK-bought copies of Vol. 1 didn't have copy protection - indeed, it was me that put the high-quality snippets of selected tracks online on the day of release.

18. william shears

Interesting..maybe they just shipped all the copy protected discs out to us sad colonial bastards!
    ;)

19. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.