Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

As far as "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" I guess they did a fold-down since the fold-down version is not previously available on disc, since the BFS CD is mono and the Capitol Beatles VI has the stereo version.

2. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Ask Bruce about the mono I'm Looking Through You. If you get a chance.

3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

It's also a sampler. Not to stir any fires with the one that we have burning hot enough already but we all know that samplers sometimes have things that aren't quite what they are on the released version...and sometimes things that are unique to that sampler. We could start a whole new thread where we all post what's odd to a sampler that isn't on the release it's supposed to sample. :)

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

So, we have now 2 reports from 2 different sources that there are mono fold downs instead of unique mono mixes?????

Crap...

5. dotheDVDeed

dotheDVDeed Forum Resident

I don't know if the younger members of this forum understand why Capitol not including the ORIGINAL mono mixes would be such a huge screw up.

The whole purpose of this release is to replicate how American listeners first heard the Beatles (albeit in improved fidelity). And in the sixties this music was heard in mono. The stereo transition did not happen until the last of the sixties for a lot of listeners.

TIM

6. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

No ! That can't be ! That can NOT be ! It's all a Capitol April Fool's scheme :). Read the word here, brothers and sisters:

Like my little brother likes to say, "C'est une impossibilité !" :)

7. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Originally Posted by brainwashed
    I'll say this once more....have no fear...the set we get April 11 will have the correct mixes.

I sure hope he's right about this, especially in light of Hawk's update...in anticipation of the UK release supposedly happeneing here this coming Monday, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed (if I haven't chewed them off as well as my fingernails by then).

8. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Ok..how many Beatle fans does it take to screw in a light bulb? LOL!!!...

I don't understand why someone at Beatlefest will not just ask Spizer point blank?...original mono mixes or not!! Simple... ;)

9. Hawkman

Guys,

:chill:

Let me point out that Capitol, like any business, is here to make money. We all go to work not for the fun of it but to make money. Some of us can do both and I envy you. Capitol is no different. I have every reason to believe that if, If, IF something is wrong on the set, Capitol will fix said 'problem' and get it to the consumer.

As I believe Bruce implied last night, the reason that we have a Volume 2 is because Volume 1 did well enough to warrant it. That is MY interepretation of his comments and not his exact words. Maybe not even his feeling. If we are all going to cross our ams and pout and NOT buy the set because something might be wrong with it, kiss any idea of Volume 3 goodbye. As he also mentioned last night at the preview, Apple as it stands now is an office with a few people in it. That's it. And right now they are concerned with the Cirque Du Soleil thing in Vegas. Even though I'm sure that they want the right thing done, I'm sure that they don't need the aggravation either and have bigger fish to fry than dealing with the Capitol albums that they never wanted out to begin with. May I point out that with the impending remaster of the British catalog, frustrating the Capitol effort might get it canned altogether. That is my opinion based on just hearing various statements and making an assumption.

And yes, I DO know what happens when you 'assume'. :)

Hell, the British catalog may not even be mono/stereo like we are getting here. So let's just all take a step back, relax, and see what happens. As I stated a few times through my grogginess this morning, IF there is a problem, Capitol will be made aware of it, I'm sure, if they haven't already and WILL fix it. If they cared enough to alter the design of the box after Volume One based on fans bitching about it, it only stands to reason that they would fix any problem with incorrect masters on a cd. For God's sake, they even put the writing on the album spines in Volume 2 because a few people crabbed about that. And yes, The Beatles Story IS on the back of the appropriate lps now. See? They even did that.

That is MY opinion based on what I've seen just and no one else's.

I'll stick by that.

10. Hawkman

Speaking of The Beatles Story, Bruce mentioned that it wouldn't be included on a box set because other than maybe 30 seconds of Twist and Shout from the Hollywood Bowl, it's mostly LA djs talking about the Beatles. The only other music on it is The Hollyridge Strings.

And speaking of The Hollywood Bowl, I neglected to mention that this would be an album that he would put in Volume 3 if he had his druthers, along with Yesterday & Today and Hey Jude.

11. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Well if they did goof and use mono fold-downs by mistake, and they later on correct the situation, nobody say anything until we all get our "bad" copies first! After we all get our "bad" copies, then we can raise heck and try to get them reissued with the original mixes. That way we all have a nice collectible on our hands. :D

12. yellowballoon

How do you use fold downs that never were created to begin with? If there's fold downs for Rubber Soul on this set, they meant to put them there, because they had to create them, thus the idea of correcting the situation will not happen, because those fold downs were ordered.

Chris

13. Hawkman

:D
    Decorum. There's a time and place. When people are standing around and the guy is trying to sell stuff, you don't want to put him on the spot. Plus, others have already asked him and/or made calls to him. I'm sure that they would like to post their answers, if any, and I don't want to rain on their parade either.

Plus, there is a type of Beatle Fan that has become know as a 'Beatard'. We all know what they are like. They are the types that fall for..and hope for..the internet rumor of a 'sons of the Beatles' tour. Every year. I had no wish to join their ranks or even look like one of them. God knows there were enough of them last night and today should be pure hell. :D

14. Hawkman

Ah. A voice of reason. The samplers alone for Volume 2 are already going for $30 or more on Ebay.

And you wouldn't have to raise heck, I'm sure.

15. yellowballoon

LOL!!!!..it's simple...here goes..

"Bruce, do you mind if I ask you a question concerning the new Capitol set?"

"Was the original mono mixes used for Beatles V1 and Rubber Soul?"

How is that putting him on the spot? It's not different then asking him why the Help gatefold wasn't used.

Again..how many Beatlefans...ah forget it.. ;)

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I get tired of saying this....WHY would Capitol release the original US mono, duophonic and stereo mixes on Volume 1....then CREATE new mono fold-downs from stereo sources for this volume? It makes no sense at all. Now maybe Capitol doesn't care about tarnishing their reputation...but certainly Spizer and Ted Jensen care greatly. If Capitol for some ungodly reason elected not to use the original mono tapes, then their press release....and Spizer's webpage should NOT have directly said the orignal mono tapes were used. If ANY changes were made, why not just keep quiet about it???

One person on this forum has opened a can of worms with a set that not even he is sure is the official box. And Hawkman may well have the Sampler disc, but he's being slightly evasive too. He knew what was going on here at SHF, with all this confusion, and didn't ASK Spizer if the original mono mixes were used??? I just find that hard to believe. Also, he had the Sampler last night and didn't listen to it til today? Maybe I'm different, but knowing all the controversy I would have had that sucker on the second I got it. One more thing....I have 2 friends at the convention, neither mentioned getting or seeing a Sampler. NO, I'm not saying Hawkman didn't get one...just saying what I was told. If ANYONE is going to the convention, or knows someone who is there...do us all a favor and get some solid information....please. Ron

17. Hawkman

Guys, we are looking at the threads on a quilt. Let's wait to see the whole thing before we get worked up.

Like I said...a few times already...IF there is a problem, it will get fixed, I'm sure, in my humble opinion. THEN we can have the 'how the hell did that happen' discussion.

I can see why some posters have gone silent. :D

18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Hawk...read Yellow Balloon's posts again...he makes perfect sense. Mono fold-downs DID NOT exist for Rubber Soul. IF they are indeed on the set, then they were purposely created specifically for the CD...there would be NOTHING to fix. Do I think this could possibly happen under Ted Jensen' watch.....NO F....ing way :realmad:

19. I, for one, will NOT buy the set if fold-downs were used. Capitol advertised the set as containing the ORIGINAL MONO RECORDINGS. If Capitol decides to fix their mistake and reissue it with the correct mono mixes, I will buy it. But ONLY if it gets fixed.

However, that being said, I completely agree with Ron--Capitol would have had to create the fold down mixes especially for this box, and do something completely contrary to their advertising. Bad business in more ways than one. Even if some knucklehead at Capitol wanted to pull a bait-and-switch like this, there is NO WAY Capitol and EMI's legal dept. would allow it to happen--not after the set was widely promoted as containing the original mono recordings.

20. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I wish Robert Lan would get his set!!! Maybe he could clear this up!

21. I just remembered something: earlier on in this thread, didn't someone report that Bruce Spizer's website contained information that certain mono Beatles VI tracks on the set were fold downs, when in fact we all knew the the original mono releases were dedicated mixes? At the time, we thought it was just a mistake on his website . . .

22. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I'll definitely be waiting until the smoke clears to buy this set...

23. Hawkman

I know what you are saying. I know what Yellow Balloon is saying.

What I'm saying is, regardless of what was used, IF it is wrong, it will get fixed. It doesn't benefit Capitol to have the wrong master on the cd is all I'm saying. Regardless of it's pedigree. When Rhino Handmade originally issued the David Peel collection that had the albums Have A Marijuana and The American Revolution, it was found out that someone pulled the wrong master for, I think, The American Revolution. They used a master that was edited and left out bits here and there in between songs. They stepped up and sent everyone who ordered the correct cd with the correct master. Without anyone who ordered asking for it. Instead of destroying the sets that they already had, when folks ordered from that point on, they got the new, corrected cd slapped on top of the package until that supply ran out and they could just remake new ones. If they ever did. The point I'm making...again... is that even a small company, like Rhino Handmade was at the time, did the right thing when something was found out to be wrong. We've seen that a number of times thoughout the years on cd. I have every belief that Capitol will do the right thing IF something is wrong. There is a little too much Roswell type conspiracy stuff happening here. everyone relax. Let's have a spirited discussion but there comes a point where all we are doing is going around in circles. From some posts here, it seems that attempts were made to contact him. The guy is busy this weekend for God's sake. If Bruce Spizer has something to say, he will. Consider that he may also be in a position where he CAN'T say anything for some reason or another. And let's not put this all on his shoulders or those of Ted Jensen. Let's wait and see what happens is all I'm saying.

They way I see it, there are two different issues here. The first is, "Is something wrong with the box set and if it is will it get fixed?" I say "I don't know" and "Yes" if it is.

The other issue is, were fold downs created where none had previously existed and why? I don't know and wouldn't worry about it until we know more.

I for one will be enjoying the box set when it comes out based on what I've heard on the sampler and the listening preview last night.

And I will be saying 'Thank you!' to all involved for doing it. If they care enough to do it to begin with, if they care enough to listen and change the packaging based on consumer response, if they care enough to get Bruce Spizer involved on the booklet like he should have done on the first set, then they will care enough to fix any mistake that might have happened, if it happened. Who here hasn't made some major mistake at work AND wanted the chance to fix it? And who would want to be known by that mistake? Capitol cares, Bruce Spizer cares, Ted Jensen cares and it is my opinion that IF there was a mistake made that none of these gentlemen are happy with it or had anything to do with it. I would almost bet that they would be leading the charge to get anything incorrect corrected.

I'm getting dressed and going to Bealefest. If anyone wants to ask Bruce Spizer about the set, you have today and tomorrow to do it. Come out to Jersey. I'm headed there now to enjoy Pete Best's band and to see Peter & Gordon.

http://www.thefestforbeatlesfans.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Section=fest

24. dotheDVDeed

dotheDVDeed Forum Resident

ahem... Just like ABKCO fixed Ruby Tuesday that was screwed up on the Stones SACDs...

(... it didn't happen)

TIM

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It seems suspicious to me that there is this 800 pound gorilla in the room, and nobody will deal with it by checking the set or asking or answering a simple question about the fold-downs. Important actors in this farce are avoiding the questions. It is probably an elaborate April fools joke.

If the tracks in dispute really are fold-downs instead of original mono, it was not a mistake, but done deliberately. Capitol is not going to be inclined to fix something that is not a mistake, and that 99 % of the buyers won't care about anyway. They aren't going to do anything special just to satisfy a bunch of lunatics on the SH forums. They will just come up with an attempt at a diplomatic response of some kind and leave it at that. Something along the lines of how the new fold-downs sound better anyway, etc. Or that the original mono mix tapes are missing.

Respected members of the forum are already saying let's not tick EMI/Capitol/Apple off by refusing to buy the set if isn't right. Friends, they have us very well trained, don't they? Either this was a joke from the get-go, or it's another travesty that they will get away with without much trouble at all. Meanwhile members here will probably just fume away in long threads for months to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.