Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

Borodin ( 1 cd)
    Berg ( 1 cd)
    Wagner/Schoenberg ( 1 cd)
    and probably some others

RiRiIII likes this.
  2. Taplow

Taplow Vezzi, lusinghe e brio

Sounds like some potentially interesting material. Thanks! So I count 29 discs in my collection. With a few of those being duplicates, it maybe comes to about 25. Still some scope for something new then if his total output covers about 60 discs.

Fredarc likes this.
  3. hammerklavier

hammerklavier Forum Resident

In addition to others mentioned elsewhere, there is the intoxicating Scriabin/Nemtin: 3 cds

I have never liked the recorded sound on Ashkenazy's piano recordings on Decca. However, many of his recordings as conductor are of demonstration quality.

jɑmbo, trix, Taplow and 2 others like this.
  4. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

I have a few recordings by Ashkhenazy as a conductor, and I generally like them a lot. The first one, and still my favourite version for these works, has been Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances and Isle of the Dead with Concertgebouw. Interesting repertoire, top-notch orchestras, very good to gorgeous sonics ( which is not the case fof all his discography), this orchestral box would be a no-brainer for me...
    Mr or Mrs Decca, if by chance you read this thread, you know what to do...

5. trix

trix Forum Resident

And Decca, if you indeed read this forum, please reissue Grumiaux box ;)

6. Alon Wasserman

Alon Wasserman Forum Resident

Not sure you'd want it at this (presumably reduced) price, but it does seem to be available here

Drastic Plastic, spn and trix like this.
  7. trix

trix Forum Resident

No, EU only, but thanks

8. spn

spn Forum Resident

Thank you thank you thank you! I will now own this one.

croquetlawns likes this.
  9. Taplow

Taplow Vezzi, lusinghe e brio

Is this a re-print? Do we know? And if so, will it be available globally? Is CD 45 corrected in this set? So many questions, so little time left on this planet.

10. spn

spn Forum Resident

I don’t see any indication that this is a reprint. It looks like left over stock, to me. I’m definitely willing to take my chances on one missing CD if it means getting the entire set.

11. Alon Wasserman

I'd assume this is left over stock, not a reprint, and I don't think they ever produced sets with the corrected CD. This is an Australian site affiliated with Universal. In the past I bought from them sets that were no longer easily available

12. Alon Wasserman

After you get the set, you could still try to get the corrected CD by emailing Universal. For your reference, the emails I contacted in 2021 for this purpose were [email protected] and [email protected]. I'm not sure she would respond after all this time, but there's no harm in trying

Drastic Plastic likes this.
  13. Drastic Plastic

Drastic Plastic Forum Resident

If you don't mind my asking - How were they packed? Did they make the trip from Oz to wherever you're located at in satisfactory condition?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  14. steveoat

steveoat Forum Resident

FYI: If you have the previously released Mozart Box Set as well as the Schubert box, you probably already have close to half the discs in this box.

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. Alon Wasserman

Excellent packing. These were big boxes (e.g. the Bernstein DG/Decca box) and they arrived in perfect condition

Drastic Plastic and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Bruno Luong

Bruno Luong Forum Resident

Are you tamking about Mozart 225 Complete Edition? I just check and the duplication is small, about 2-3 CD, that's is way far from "half of the discs"

I do not hav the Schubert so I don't care.
    Here uis the duplication with Mozart Edition

CD5 t2. 12 Variations in C on “Ah, vous dirai-je Maman” K265 a1 (1784–1787) 1 Funeral March in c K453a
    CD7 t2: 10 Variations on “Les hommes pieusement” (Unser dummer Pöbel meint) from C.W.
    CD8 t12 Gigue in G K574 “Eine kleine Gigue”
    CD8 t13 Minuet in D K355
    CD9 t11 Adagio in C for glass harmonica K356f piano transcription
    CD40
    1 Fantasia in c K475
    2 Rondo in a K511
    3–5 Piano Sonata in C K545 “Sonata facile”
    6–8 Sonata in Bb for fortepiano and violin K454
    9–11 Sonata in F for fortepiano duet K497
    András Schiff fortepiano
    George Malcolm fortepiano (K497)
    Yuuko Shiokawa violin (K454)
    played on Mozart’s original instruments​
    CD 93
    1–3 Piano Concerto No.16 in D K451
    4–6 Piano Concerto No.19 in F K459​
    CD 146 t8 Ch’io mi scordi di te… Non temer, amato bene K505
    CD171 Lieder t6, 14, 17, 27
    CD200 t17 Canzonetta “Ridente la calma” K152

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

There has been a few years ago a 21 CD (italian?) Decca box Still available by some sellers.
    [​IMG]
    If you add the 9 CD Schubert box and the 12 CD Bach box (the ECM remakes are now generally prefered, but it remains an excellent Bach-on-piano box), you've got more than half of the new box...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    croquetlawns and Bruno Luong like this.
  18. steveoat

steveoat Forum Resident

Bruno Luong likes this.
  19. trix

trix Forum Resident

Plus there was Schiff Bach box.
    In general, Schiff is a good pianist. The problem is that everything he recorded for Decca can be found in better performances by other pianists. Or even by Schiff himself, on ECM.

20. Mark Stenroos

Mark Stenroos Well-Known Member

Hey, all.

I wanted to give a shout out to fnac for their great service, handling and shipment of my latest order - Warner’s Neville Marriner Edition.

Fnac uses dhl as their door-to-door shipping agent. I ordered the set on Tuesday - it was delivered TODAY to my home in SoCal. The set was surrounded on all sides with air pillows and arrived in perfect shape. Delivered by dhl. Pretty good for 13€ shipping.

Then, there’s the pricing. I had put this set in my shopping cart months ago but never paid to order. I was sort of surprised to find it there. The fnac price on the set had gone up 30€ since I had put the set in my cart, but fnac honored the low price for my order. A substantial savings.

With all the issues we have with slow shipments, damaged and lost orders, I wanted to take the opportunity presented to offer kudos to a company that consistently does right by its customers.

21. Yev B

Yev B Forum Resident

Does it usually make sense to pre-order? I would imagine prices will go down when there's more global availability. For the prices currently, €155 seems like a reasonable deal (right around that $2/disc threshold).

22. Mark Stenroos

Mark Stenroos Well-Known Member

It depends if a discount is offered for preorder. No site seems to be consistent with preorder discounts. Discounted preorder prices typically rise after the street date. These limited edition sets can disappear quickly.

BTW - my price on the Marriner from fnac was 154€ plus shipping, so 166€ all in.

Yev B likes this.
  23. Yev B

Yev B Forum Resident

Ok, to keep my/our mind(s) off buying more boxes, I propose a game: the Box Set Symphony Cycle.

The goal is to put together a symphony cycle of your favorite performances by one composer from different box sets. Some guidelines:

1. We can define “box set” as 3 or more CDs sold in a single package.

2. Two or more symphonies in a cycle can only come from the same box set if they’re performed both by different conductors and different orchestras (we want variety!!!)

3. Feel free to add as many additional non-symphony CDs that you really enjoy to your cycle.

So to start simple, what’s your Brahms box set symphony cycle?

Here’s mine.
    [​IMG]

(My no. 2 is with Abbado/Berlin. Kind of a throwaway as I don’t especially enjoy that symphony).

So many (de)vices likes this.
  24. Bruno Luong

Bruno Luong Forum Resident

Andras Schiff box status: both Fnac and Amazon just update the date to end of 2024.:cussing:
    I'll cancel my preorder.

25. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

Same for me, but I wont cancel my preorder on Fnac. I suspect this box will be another case like Grumiaux or Blomstedt box.