Cream (BEST versions on cd?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crassimo

Crassimo New Member

2. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Thanks!
    This place never sleeps!

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Vinyl doesn't count, he said cd :D :wave:

Yes, I remember how good some of that old vinyl sounded...

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

True, and that's cool...anyway, the old Polydor cd of 'Disraeli' sounds good to me. However, you have to crank it up to get any grease out of it.

5. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I actually just acquired it and still need to give it a listen. I expect it'll be interesting to hear different mixes of the live stuff.

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

That is mostly correct - Toad however is the old "Wheels Of Fire" version with a repetitive insert from another night added. NSU is a different version (as stated on US copies of TWTD) rather than an alternate mix (as stated on some non-US copies of TWTD).

7. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

The sound of the "Deluxe Edition" Disraeli Gears is superior to the standard remaster?

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I would imagine they are pretty much the same. I believe it's the bonus cd that Chris champions. The one that lures me....:realmad:

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Were there multiple US issues? I believe my copy credits both Drake and Greg Calbi. I honestly don't think it sounds that great.

As others mentioned, if you can't find the DCC Wheels of Fire, I'd say the German RSO/Polydor (I don't think mine has any RSO markings) is better than the US Drake, which is kind of bright.

10. zen

zen Senior Member

I was given Cream GOLD lasy year for Xmas and it sounds really good. I like the layout with studio tracks on disc one and the live material on disc two. It's all the Cream I need.

11. Chris,
    Are there any mono mixes of the Disreali Gears tracks you prefer to their stereo counterparts?

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Not really. The only one that is really different is Ulysses. I haven't played it in ages but it is a very different mix. IIRC the drums are much louder and drier? Not sure. When I want to hear Takes Of Brave Ulysses I play the '67 Cobo Hall show ;)

13. Jeff Carney

Agreed.

Oddly, the US Drake seems to be the same for the live disc, however. Only disc 1 is different and IMO, inferior.

I think it's been said that Drake corrected a 1 second digital skip on "Crossroads," but that would hardly help solve having an entire disc 1 that is inferior.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Interesting. I don't know if I've played disc 2 on my German copy or not.

Listening now...

Hmm. I just got all the way through and didn't notice a skip. Judging by the matrix number it seems possible there may have been an earlier pressing:

825 414-2 02 +
    825 415-2 02 #

This does seem to be a more recent issue - no RSO logos, "Made in Germany", newer pressing style (raised ridge near the inner ring on the playing side, and the aluminum doesn't go all the way to the center as with earlier PolyGram pressings).

I briefly checked out my US copy. Peak level on Crossroads is 100%, vs about 80% for the German. Interesting that the matrix info is *nearly* identical:

825 414-2 02%
    825-415-2 01@

I'm curious to know what the significance of that is, if anything.

15. Thanks Chris, I got a line on this Deluxe set for $12 so I think I might make the leap.

16. Jeff Carney

I have the RSO and couldn't really hear any "digital skip" either. If it's on mine, it's pretty insignificant to my ears.

I recall having the US (Drake) Polydor at one time and being amazed at how much more top end boost was on disc 1, while disc 2 sounded about the same in a quick A/B. from what you found in EAC, I guess that was remastered (changed) by Drake as well, but sonically I didn't detect any difference in the tonality.

If he had the same tape source that was used in Germany, I have no idea what he was hearing to have made those changes on the studio tracks. The RSO is already a tad crispy as it is. The Drake mastered Polydor is borderline shrill, IMO.

17. John Buchanan

The single digital skip was somewhere in Spoonful, and wouldn't have been that obvious to someone who hadn't heard Spoonful live less than a million times LOL. It was on an early WG release of Wheels Of Fire (the one with the different back cover - the 3 of them around some bongoes from memory). That is one of the reasons it was remastered according to some magazine article I read at the time (the label changed from RSO to Polydor, the cover was returned to a more authentic replica, the sound was equalised and the skip was corrected).

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI, my later German Polydor (referenced above) has the back cover with them around the bongos. I'm not sure I can stomach listening to all of Spoonful on there ;)

19. John Buchanan

C'mon Luke - you know we want you to!

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, but I don't want to!

21. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The mono mix of Ulysses has always been my prefer version because of the drums being so much higher in the mix. I prefer to listen to the LP in mono but the CD in stereo. For some reason, mono never seems to translate as well on the CD medium, always sounds too flat, but on LP, mono sounds great.

22. Bowie Fett

23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Question on Fresh Cream versions.

I know DCC is the first choice, but the least expensive one offered by Amazon.com resellers is 99.94! That is out of my comfort zone for a single CD.

Can some comment on what next that is more affordable. E.g., how does the remaster sound vs. the "original" U.S. issue? Thanks.

These, along w/ others, are listed here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...=popular&field-keywords=fresh+cream&x=13&y=15

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the old Polydor CD, it's fine.

25. Bowie Fett

What is the catalog number for the old "Fresh Cream" disc? Thanks Mr. Hoffman!

:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.