CTI CD comparisons

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShowsOn, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Ando says he used 1/4 inch tapes for the mastering. Most of them are in good shape. They came from the US and look like mostly Ampex, and small portions are RCA which are deteriorated.

Leroy Bad likes this.
  2. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

How do the Deodato new Japan/King releases sound as well as Stone Flower in comparison to older releases?

3. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

As stated earlier those particular albums sound great, but do have audible hiss in some tracks.

4. triple

triple Senior Member

In that case not even Ando can perform undo, so to speak.

5. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Well its unfortunate, but I do prefer that he didn't "Undo" the hiss, because then the music would sound muddy.

6. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

BTW speaking of hiss, most of this is only noticeable with headphones, or you must play your music remarkably loud for it to be intrusive.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Agreed...if you put your ear near the speaker at the beginning of songs you can usually hear some hiss but once you're a few feet away it's pretty much inaudible. I'll take hiss due to them being a flat transfer of the master than a no-noised remastering.

8. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  9. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I just listened to the Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine album, and I think this is the only one of the new batch so far that I'm not impressed with. The sonics aren't that good. It comes across as a bit muffled with noticeable distortion on my system. I recommend the Rudy Van Gelder remastering from 2009. It's a lot more clear and slightly better dynamic range which is odd because they are supposedly from the same tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.