David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

That set looks awesome!

I hope Low gets the same treatment.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Same here, though I may still splurge and get the SDE anyway. I'm enough of a Bowie nut to want the big deal release!

The whole RCA thing seems weird to me. One assumes that they believe the 2010 master will be the best ever, so why toss in an old one? Yeah, many think IT is the best, but it's almost like some weird admission of defeat.

Or a gimmick. I'm leaning toward that interp. Still seems strange to throw in a 25-year-old mastering - has that ever happened with another release?

3. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing. I know some older masterings have popped up on some of those Japan mini-lps, but I can't recall any deluxe cd reissue doing that.

4. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I can understand why Harry Maslin did a new 5.1 mix, but why did he also do a new stereo mix? I'm quite happy to give it a listen, but was there anything wrong with the original mix?

5. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Maybe someone's been listening/viewing these forums and is aware of how well regarded the RCAs are. I'd love it if they re-released them all, but that's probably a pipe dream for now unless this set sells out.

Sebastich likes this.
  6. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Not happy with the 5.1 mix being only in the super-mega-expensive version.... I am not interested in the vinyl and I don't see the rationale behind bundling DVD and vinyl, apart from the usual EMI rip-off mindset.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Which of the two RCA cd Masters will the Deluxe include? WG or Japan?

8. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Same here, I think that is really funny. Maybe they did their research and realized that the RCA is *the sound* people have liked best and are just going to throw it in as an extra feature? Maybe it does something with putting the RCA back in print for legal reasons? I am thinking that they know that the masters just sound different... they are not the sound of the albums, and they don't want to even attempt to recreate that sound when they can simply include the real deal. In any of those cases its good news, especially for folks who haven't heard the RCAs before.

edit- About which RCA version they put out... is there a third option? Where did the WG/J tapes come from? Perhaps they used the tape those were copied from and this is an even better sounding RCA version.

Sebastich likes this.
  9. HiFi Guy 008

Oatsdad: King Crimson released a deluxe version of In The Court of... that included a needle drop of the original vinyl. This wouldn't be the first time this was done, and as long as the deluxe STS is not $500.00, and is indeed truly from the master tapes, and the vinyl pressings are good (please get the hole in the middle folks,) I'm all for it.

10. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

You know, this already had happened 34 years ago in 1976 on LP, in 1985 on CD and so on..
    This is great album of course, no matter hi or low res
    I have all cd version on my ipod and when I'm not at home I can choose between them
    (RCAs, Rykos) and when I'm in the mood I put the needle on my UK orange label and the slow train is coming...))
    Don't get me wrong, I want and probably will get this box like a new toy, maybe 5.1 will do this for me, maybe Nassau show, but speaking of the album only the music is already with me, maybe it's in my head, too much Bowie in last years) but when I hear guitar opening in "Stay", this is a real drive or take "Word on a Wing" for example...
    And I say to myself - Do I really need a boxset to enjoy this great music again?
    Maybe I should spent money on some new stuff, like Black Keys new album or something that I'm not familiar with

11. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Wow, possibly the most over-the-top reissue ever... Funnily enough, this is the first mega-deluxe I'm even considering. With both Exile and Bitches Brew (among my favourite albums) I had no use for an LP reissue, but I only have S to S on the awful Virigin remaster, and it has grown into my favourite Bowie album. With a possible surround setup in the near future, this could be a great addition...

12. HiFi Guy 008

It was the "newness" of this album (to me) that really made it for me.
    And I didn't hear it until the early 1990's - talk about late to the party. And it was on the much dreaded Ryko remaster - on EMI vinyl - that I first experienced it. Still, it left me floored, along with Young Americans (another "new" 1990's discovery for me.)

They were the regular soundtracks on my drives to and from the gym.

13. I Am The Lolrus

Its not the side effects of the cocaine, i'm thinking that it must be $$$ :laugh::laugh:

14. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Ya know I was just imagining the day when a record company would release an re-mastered or remixed album as a deluxe edition with the original uncompressed, un-futzed with original mix as a bonus. Kind of like when the Star Wars original trilogy was included as a bonus with the digitally enhanced special edition trilogy.

Crossing my own arms and sticking out my chest, "I should be an A&R guy."

Cheers, Michael

15. So, who does the mastering? Sorry if it was mentioned, too hot here in The Netherlands. Makes me lazy!:shh:

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

PS, I guess I don't have to worry about tracking down an old RCA edition of Station To Station anymore.

Michael

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not necessarily - just because they're using the mastering doesn't mean it'll be an identical copy of the RCA CD. Could be brickwalled or mucked with in other ways. Besides, as others have noted, we don't know WHICH mastering - J or WG - will be used...

18. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Sick! This thing is going to be way overpriced, no doubt, but that's okay. One of my favorite albums of all time. Time to break the piggy bank open...

19. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

You probably don't. It's more the case of EMI desperately needing your money again for a product you partially already purchased a few times.

As I understand it you are forced to buy vinyl albums if you want the 5.1 mix ?
    Vinyl albums that contain exactly the same music that's on the CD's ?
    Why didn't they include the album and the concert on cassette then ? (only joking !)

And what's the story with the Panic in Detroit drum solo missing ?
    Is it because there isn't enough room on two CD's to fit the whole concert ?
    Apparently not ! You probably couldn't fit it on four sides of vinyl.

So to get that full version you still need to download ! (the whole live album. Again ?)

The whole thing looks nice though.

20. I Am The Lolrus

The drum solo is really long :laugh: I should think that the people buying it won't mind it, but hey that was emi's decision.

21. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Unbelievable. a fan's dream...stop the complaining people...i mean really, if you like bowie and this music how can you NOT be psyched!!!!!?
    this looks awesome.

22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

because I doubt I'll be able to ever afford it.

23. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Arguably my favorite album from my favorite artist ever - I almost fell off my chair looking at the photos! I foolishly traded away my RCA CD years ago, and no longer have my LP-12 deck, so the special edition looks like the way to go; let's hope Harry Maslin did a nice job.

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Disappointed that the SE doesn't include a 5.1 mix. Boo! :(

Not buying the mega vinyl edition.

25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Hell, if the RCA masterings are still available, go ahead and release the entire RCA Bowie catalogue. Maybe at five bucks a piece since it's such an "obsolete" recording.

PS, this is proof positive that Bowie is a member of this forum and cares about the sound quality of his catalogue. Okay, maybe I'm only 13% sure of this.

Sebastich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.