David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Guess i'll have to track down a vinyl copy then. It's such a shame since this live show is absoloutely incredible, the energy is palpable even with the terrible mastering.

Mlle. Aurora and jhm like this.
  2. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The remaster sounds more like a live show to me than the dull, lifeless bonus tracks on the Ryko.

3. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Wait, wait, wait.

So does the 2017 vinyl reissue use the 2010 vinyl master or the 2010 CD master?

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I used to think that the 2010 CD and the 2010 vinyl used different masterings, however Karmaman made a great case in one of the Bowie threads that they were the same mastering, however it was significantly boosted (i.e. made louder) for the CD. I mean, the average difference in DR is somthing like 6 points! I do not know if the latest pressing of Nassau '76 (2016? 2017? I don't remember) uses an identical master to the 2010 LP, but I suspect it does. That should be easy enought to find out definitively by searching a bit.

I posted screenshots of the CD waveforms vs the vinyl in another thread (perhaps buried in this thread). I'll see if I can find them again.

Edit: Here they are. I posted this back in 2015: David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Adam Bosman likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Gosh, not for me. I saw Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine in 1988/9 at their fiercest, loudest, earsplitting peaks, and it was some kind of bliss, unlike the IMO disastrous Nassau remaster. It doesn’t sound like any concert I was ever at. More like a horrid cassette.

Johan1880 and onlyconnect like this.
  6. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

The most absolute truth. And what amazing shows they must've been, two of my favourite bands ever.

Staying on topic, i've seen some extreme metal concerts that weren't as ear fatiguing as this terrible mastering.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  7. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

What's everyone's favorite boot of this show? I absolutely cannot listen to the official release, it makes my teeth hurt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.