Deadwax inscription ID's needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxdave, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Here is an LW from a U.S. LZII RL. Maybe Longwear Stamper Co.

[​IMG]

LED ZEPPELIN - 1st U.S. pressings info needed !

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

That copy was a Robert Ludwig cut. The plating was done by LongWare Stamper.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde" Thread Starter

Nice to see my thread still going after 11 years! I'll be picking up a fairly large collection of LPs from a high school friend who recently passed away. I'll try to get some new deadwax pics uploaded as I wade through all the titles. Supposed to be some autographed Beatles stuff in there, too. Might need some help to authenticate those. Stay tuned!

5. michael22

michael22 Forum Resident

I have a 1950 EMS pressing with REP inscribed within a circle in the deadwax. As EMS was an independent New York City label, I assume this was pressed in the NYC area. Any idea about this inscription?

6. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yes indeed, an excellent and most informative thread mate! :righton:

I have one of those very mysterious 1st US pressings of RUSH: Caress of Steel. It is stamped Masterdisk and right after the stamp is this:

(sorry about the crappy drawing)

[​IMG]
    The full information in the deadwax is:

It is the light coloured label with the high rise building in front and all the clouds in the back. It is stamped MASTERDISK in the deadwax. On side 1 it has a B1 and then a double-sided arrow pointing left and right (<-->) and then the catalog number: SRM-1-1046-A-K2 Side 2 is the same except the catalog number ends in B-K2. On both sides immediately after the MASTERDISK stamp is a larger capital 'M' with what looks like a crossbar in the first half of the 'M' making it look like a capital 'A' sort of like 'A/\' There are no other identifying marks, names, or initials in the deadwax.

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks! :)

7. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

The Masterdisk engineer is Alan Moy, see here

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

Hey, I REALLY appreciate the fast reply, thanks! :) However, although VERY similar, I do not believe this is the guy. His is more of a Delta M rather than the image above, but it certainly IS close!

Also too, Alan's career begins in 1980 with his first pressing, which is a little late for this album :) That is why the origins of the very first US pressings of Caress of Steel are so mysterious! I've tried searching for Masterdisk deadwax inscriptions, but to no avail...

But, thank you kindly for giving it a go!

Cheers! :tiphat:

9. Ben Sinise

What leads you to believe it's a first pressing?
    That label was around until 1983 and the initials you've sketched are consistent with a variation of AM's signature.

Gilbert Kong of Masterdisk cut the original Canadian release and some earlier US versions pressed by Columbia
    Howie Weinberg cut a version with SRM-1-1046-A-K MASTERDISK HW / SRM-1-1046-B-K, skyscraper labels
    The K2 version you have would've followed

I don't know who else working at Masterdisk would have signed like that.

hdfxr69 and latheofheaven like this.
  10. latheofheaven

Yeah, me either. I'm no expert; you likely know a LOT more about this than I do :) Just sayin' that the 'Delta M' shown above is different. Perhaps, like you say, just a variation...

Apparently, from the discussion on the Rush Vinyl thread, the US origins of the first pressings are rather murky and mysterious. I DID see the first Canadian by GK listed on Discogs though...

11. latheofheaven

Oh, one other thing which might go along with what you said about the timing of this pressing. I actually DID find almost an exact match on Discogs to the specific catalog number ending as noted above, but it was on a 1983 Black Label! So, that might support what you are saying about the timeline. I was rather surprised to see that!

***EDIT

If it is indeed Alan Moy, then that would explain the possible later pressing of this album :)

12. Ben Sinise

I date your copy between 1981-1983.
    The arrows logo in the deadwax indicates it was pressed by Hauppauge, Long Island NY.
    They commenced pressing duties in August 1981.
    The skyscraper label ran until 1983, so there's your time frame.

As for Alan's signature your sketch is one of the variations he used, see here and here

latheofheaven likes this.
  13. latheofheaven

Awesome! U Da Man Bro! Thanks! [​IMG]

Ben Sinise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.