Deadwax inscription ID's needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxdave, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Thanks for the info!:cool:

2. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

I'm digging the sound of my copy of "Workingman's Dead" right now - WB green label, cut by "KD." We got an I.D. for KD yet? He cut anything else interesting?

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It's Gene Thompson, who worked at Capitol's New York studios as a recording and mastering engineer in the 1960's and early '70's, later went to "the Tower" in Hollywood.

4. I'd be curious to know. There's Ken Duncan, of 'KENDUN' fame, but my understanding is that he had his own Kendun Recorders mastering facility. Perhaps prior to that he worked elsewhere?

5. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

KENDUN JG

I found out this is John Golden, seen his intials in a lot of 70's rock

6. I've seen 'TONE' in a few of the UK pressings I've been picking up recently:

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
    Blondie - Atomic
    Sex Pistols - The Great Rock n Roll Swindle [George Peckham's signature is also present on one side: Porky Prime Cut]

Does anyone know what it signifies? Is it a mastering engineer or a mastering facility like Sterling?

7. I have a Supertramp, "Crime of the Century" made in the UK with "ALLEN" in the deadwax. Who is Allen?

8. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Not Allen Zentz, thats for sure.

-Aaron

9. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

I really abuse the heck out of this thread and bump it a lot, but it's just too darned good! We need a section of stickied "awesome" threads.

Anyway, I just picked up a copy of Rush's "Permanent Waves" today. Been looking for a Howie Weinberg Masterdisk copy. Anyway, side two of the record does indeed have Masterdisk HW embedded in the deadwax, but side one is more of a mystery - it has what looks like a large, stylized "G", followed by a much simpler "T.". I wish I could take a picture of it, but that's beyond my means. Any help?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I am sure the KD is Kent Duncan, I think he worked at Kendun!

JG

11. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Wasn't he, who Kendun was named after? Like, RE-GA?

12. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Who is "Chet" that cut for Columbia in the early 80s (at least on Mccartney's "Ram")

dee likes this.
  13. James Glennon

I think I got it wrong with Kendun, I am sure it was Artisan (where he worked with Bob McLeod).

JG

14. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I just received my second copy of AC/DC - Flick Of The Switch, hoping to get a "Masterdisk RL" one (the mastering is credited to him on the inner sleeve). The first one I owned is a Canadian pressing and has "Masterdisk" stamped into both sides, but no initials. Side 1 sounds good - Side 2, not so good. Then, I ordered a promo from a seller on eBay; It has "Masterdisk HW" stamped and written on Side 1 and just "Masterdisk" stamped on Side 2 (also has the SRC logo stamped into both sides). I thought promos were the very first pressings! Where's the RL?!

:confused:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

In a strange twist I got an Airborne Promo LP at a garage sale and it mastered at Kendun by Joe Gastwirt with KENDUN in the deadwax and a J.G. that differs from John Golden's marking

16. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

looks like the disc was mastered by Howie Weinberg. i have a lot of LPs cut by him that sound great.

does anybody know for sure if Bob Ludwig cut the entire (or large part thereof) AC/DC catalog?

later, chris

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

erniebert, I can tell you from my experience that Promo's are almost always NOT the first - or the best - pressings. The gold "Promo" stamp only indicates it's not a late, late, late reissue. Many (most?) are early reissues.

I used to buy records the day they were released in local shops, and compare them with friends' gold-stamp Promo's. The Promo's were inferior every time - if compared to a first or very early pressing.

White-label Promo's are a different story. They do tend to be better than many regular non-white label Promo pressings, but are much more difficult to find.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde" Thread Starter

Thought I'd add another shot to this thread since it's been dead for a while. This one came from my copy of Jethro Tull's "Stand Up', Side two. Would this be Stan Ricker?

Attached Files:

• SJR.jpg
      SJR.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
  19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

No, this was Stuart J. Romaine. In 1971-72, he was a mastering engineer at Columbia Recording Studios in New York, and was the first person to sign his initials (though it didn't look like that signature at the time) to the deadwax of lacquers with the famous "machine stamped" matrix numbers. I have two "SJR" mastered copies - one of Ten Years After's A Space in Time album (Columbia KC 30801) and the Looking Glass single "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" (Epic 5-10874). By 1974 he moved on to the then-newly opened New York branch of Frankford/Wayne Recording Labs, where his signature took that form. I have a few copies of records where he signed his initials to F/W NY lacquers, including The Tymes' "You Little Trustmaker" single (RCA PB-10022).

marcfeld69 likes this.
  20. thxdave

Great answer and tons of info. Thanks!!

dave

21. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member

I don't think this one was answered. I have an early press of Talking Heads '77 with the same "ALLEN" in the deadwax. If not Allen Zentz, any ideas who it might be? Thanks.

22. James Glennon

Some Eric Clapton LPs were mastered by Mike Fuller at Criteria.

JG

Attached Files:

Gavinyl likes this.
  23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Gee James, what lens are you using? Nice pic :winkgrin:

24. thxdave

It's a "ACIEL", can't you read? I've heard they're VERY good! ;)

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I posted this in another thread about the Court of the Crimson King.

In my US Atlantic there is a ΓΣ on the deadwax

[​IMG]

I haven't seen this before. Anybody know who this might be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.