Deadwax inscription ID's needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxdave, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Not on the Beatles, but on one of my UK copies of DSOTM:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (-10/-9 HTM, all inserts) UK EMI Harvest SHVL 804
    Side One: SHVL 804 A - 10 .......... g M (3 o’clock, g is hand-written) ..... 1 (at 9 o’clock) .......... Harry
    Side Two: SHVL 804 B - 9 .......... A P A (3 o’clock) ..... nothing (at 9 o’clock) .......... HTM

:righton:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Interesting. The US version of "Love Songs" was sourced from the '60s Capitol tapes (ie: Duophonic master for "Yes It Is"). If Harry Moss cut this for the UK, he must have used the original UK tapes then, making this version actually worth owning.

3. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

this is in the dead wax of Alice Cooper's Killer

[​IMG]

here's a Black Sabbath Vol 4 Porky

[​IMG]

and a Led Zeppelin II RL

[​IMG]

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

[​IMG]

A rare variation of then-RCA Chicago mastering engineer Randy Kling's signature, I see. I've some of the 45's he cut and I never saw his signature this way.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I've never seen a 'Kling' spelled out like that, either.

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I believe my copy of 'Killer' is like that too. I gotta check, though.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

"SMI" (or maybe SM1) in deadwax - Warner/Reprise

I own 6 copies of Sinatra's RING-A-DING DING on vinyl, and I noticed tonight that one of them has "SMI" or "SM1" lightly etched into the deadwax. Based on the label variant and the other deadwax info, I would say that it is was pressed at Columbia between 1963-1966, for Warner/Reprise.

Any ideas about SMI or SM1?

Thanks,
    Matt

8. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

My Canadian Kinney original "Killer" has the more common variation of Randy's signature.

9. OldMusicOnVinyl1

I was just wondering - did Arnie Acosta work at Masterdisk? Cause I have a Canadian pressing of "Strange Animal" by Gowan that has his "AA" signature next to the Masterdisk stamp.

10. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I have a copy of Steely Dan Gold on MCA from 1982 that has RL in the dead wax. Is it possible that Bob Ludwig could have worked on that LP?

11. MLutthans

Here are pics.

Attached Files:

12. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yep, it's like that! :cool::thumbsup:

13. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Here is the latest Randy Kling signature in the deadwax of Ryan Adams '29' LP.

JG

Attached Files:

14. James Glennon

Here is Steve Rooke (Abbey Road) signature on Graham Parker's Mona Lisa's Sister and Paul McCartney's Wings reissue Band On The Run.

JG

Attached Files:

15. James Glennon

Here is Wes Garland's (Nashville Record Productions) signature on a lot of Sundazed LPs.

JG

Attached Files:

16. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Of course, He did lots of stuff. I think he's credited on that one.

17. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Thanks - I wasn't sure if he only worked for one label, or how that worked.

18. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Most mastering engineers and houses worked on whatever they got hired to work on, regardless of label. This was even true for the mastering houses that were actual subsidiaries of labels, such as early Masterdisk (owned by Mercury in the early years), Capitol, RCA, and MCA Whitney...

19. OldMusicOnVinyl1

Yes.

P.S. I also have a copy of "Steely Dan Gold", but it is a Canadian pressing. My copy has an "MS" next to Bob Ludwig's signature. Who is "MS" or what does it stand for?

20. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

Thank you for posting the pic and decrypting it. I have a slew of WG/NRP pressings and had no idea who was the mastering engineer. The copies I own all have a 'u' in a circle for United, also based in Nashville, which is the pressing plant. Unfortunately, it is more times than not, a sign of a record that will not sound too terribly impressive.

21. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Re: SM1 etc..

I've always assumed these to be some sort of pressing plant and/or metalwork identifier, of little importance except I'd assume those marked SM1 are earlier generation to those SM2.. it really doesn't have the finesse to be a mastering mark. However, there is a Steve Marcussen who cuts discs. Any credits on the disc covers or inserts?

Compare the mother/stamper marks often found on other albums.. 1-1, 1-2 and so on. These are not definitive, as again the manufacture was so spread out in location these marks don't mean much in the grand scheme. I suspect they're only valid for the one pressing run.. e.g. a set could be made in 1975 labeled 1-1 and 1-2 and there might be a completely different set from 1978 with the same marks. Or maybe not.

22. MLutthans

Well, here's everything that is in the deadwax on the LP at question, a mid-60s pressing (made at Columbia) of Reprise's RING-A-DING DING album by Frank Sinatra:

Side 1:
    "10001-1E" (<---Machine stamped, with a dashed-line oval lightly stamped to the left of the numbers); a very small "H" and a larger "SMI" all hand-etched faintly

Side 2:
    "10002-1E" (<---Machine stamped, with a dashed-line oval lightly stamped to the left of the numbers); "SMI" hand-etched, faintly.

Matt

23. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The small "H" on Side 1 meant that the stamper was originally used by Columbia's Hollywood pressing plant (on Alden Avenue), which closed some time in 1964; the other designation on both sides, actually "SM1," indicated this was a Santa Maria, CA pressing. It sounds like the lacquers were cut by Columbia's Hollywood studios at Columbia Square; between 1963 and 1966 many of that studio's lacquers used the same machine-stamped type (whose readability was positioned within 12 o'clock) as used by New York and (since 1963) Chicago. Perhaps the last machine-stamped lacquer to come from Hollywood was of The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" single (Columbia 4-43578, 1966).

marcfeld69 likes this.
  24. MLutthans

W.B. comes through yet again. Much appreciated!

Matt

25. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

This question is about present-day reissues. On a quite a few of them, in the deadwax, I've seen two pairs of initials next to each other, GI and RM, often accompanied by the "Mastered by Capitol" stamp. RM is obviously Ron McMaster but who or what is GI? I've searched very hard and can't find an answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.