Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" CD: Best Version?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LaserKen, Dec 30, 2005.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

So logical!

dav-here, c-eling and telepicker97 like this.
  2. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Nothing else beats the original 85' CD. It's the best version by far.

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Doesn't the John Dent mastered version have the swapped channels? Bob Ludwig remastered it almost immediately.

4. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

5. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

That's correct.

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

abzach likes this.
  7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

You're welcome!

8. Totally agree:righton:

dav-here and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Click is on ‘Your latest trick’

Mbe likes this.
  10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Is there any difference between the early Japanese and West German Dent masterings? And how are they different from the early WG Ludwig?

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Jerry, the Japanese and West German Dent CD masterings sounded identical to these ears years ago. The West German is the same whether Vertigo or WB. The Ludwig was a little louder than the Dent, but still had excellent dynamics.

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

The original.

dav-here and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, and do you know where the DADC fits in there?

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

The 1996 remaster should be fine for the OP (he already has the original). It's a bit louder and fuller sounding, but retains most of the dynamics of the '85. It's cheap too...

dav-here likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

If it helps, the DADC peak levels are 100, 100, 50.3, 40.8, 23.1, 75.6, 77.8, 100, 63

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Actually from what I understand, it was copied to analog for mixing then bounced back to digital.

QQQ and Plan9 like this.
  17. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

The original Brothers In Arms and On Every Street are the best sounding CDs I've heard. Why in the world would they ever be 'remastered' other than blatant money grab?

18. captone

captone Forum Resident

Mofi hybrid SACD sounds best but original CD is almost as good and much cheaper.

dav-here and George P like this.
  19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've got a Super Bit Mapping version that looks lole it was made in Europe (Germany?) and it sounds great to me. It's definitely not an original.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i personally like the sacd ... mainly for the 5.1, but i never listened to it and thought anything negative

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I felt the early DADC sounded different to either the Dent or Ludwig WG versions. I couldn't tell which channel had the opening hi-hat, but I will need to listen again.

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

My take on CD (and SACD) Brothers In Arms:

The excellent 1985 John Dent mastering:

The following CD's are 100% identical and of course sound exactly the same. For those that have whiny agenda$ then the Daio is best because it is the most rare :)
    Japan for US MATSUSHITA
    Japan for US DAIO KOSAN
    US for US Early DADC
    US for US SRC (Specialty)
    WG for US - Is the Dent mastering but has a serious glitch There are many copies of the non-glitched Dent BIA's out there so no need to bother with this one.​

The original Vertigo WG for Europe is different mastering from the Dent and is attributed Bob Ludwig. This mastering is also really nice and fans of the album should compare it to Dent to determine which they like best.

1996 Ludwig remaster - As Stock remasters go this is a decent one with nice eq'ing. Those preferring a slighty more modern sound may prefer this mastering?

2005 "20th" [this includes both the SACD and DVD-Audio] is sonic excrement and an abomination that is a firm avoid. One of the top all-time 5 worst masterings to which I've ever been subjected. No hyperbole, if anything my comments are the nicest things I can muster about this vile mastering

MFSL SACD - Excellent, however I really do not think worth the coin if one has the Dent and is not a huge fan of the album or a collector.

2013 or was it 2014 SHM also excellent but it has the LP edits of the tracks which were not the "hit" or what some consider "true" versions. Once again I really do not think worth the coin if one has the Dent.

As usual folks do you own compares, don't take random opinions on sound quality including mine. Only you know what sounds best to your own ears.

P.S. Here are the 1985 Dent and 1985 WG Vertigo Ludwig peaks:

Dent; 100.0 %,100.0 %,50.3 %,40.8 %,23.1 %,75.6 %,77.8 %,100.0 %,63.0 %
    WG Vertigo; 79.4 %,79.4 %,44.7 %,33.0 %,18.0 %,57.6 %,54.9 %,71.1 %,44.9 %

Please not the Dent WG for US will not match the above on track #4​

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Brudr, QQQ, JayNYC and 9 others like this.
  23. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

The MFSL is the best. The 80's version is also ok.

dav-here and George P like this.
  24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I keep mine for the wonderful 5.1 mix, but the MFSL is my stereo go-to. Oh, if only they'd do their magic on the first four (although the swirlies aren't horrible, I've never heard a MAKING MOVIES that wasn't sonic sludge).

25. George P

George P Notable Member

They don't sound the same to everyone. Many of these people's opinions I respect and value.

Comically, your "they are digitally identical and of course will sound the same...trust your own ears" speech that you share at every possible opportunity is the very definition of a whiny agenda. ​