Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" CD: Best Version?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LaserKen, Dec 30, 2005.

1. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

MOFI SACD hands down. I think the SHM-SACD version has the single cut of "Money For Nothing," so that's why I skipped that versions. Original CD sounded too quiet to me.

ssmith3046, kiddo4 and Steve356 like this.
  2. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I have the US Dent mastering, and it too has the hi-hat at the beginning of "So Far Away" in the left channel. The whole album sounds fantastic to me.

Kevin Cellar and c-eling like this.
  3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The Ludwig '96 remaster over the original. For value hunters this is your best option for sound and price.

Retro Music Man likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Kevin Cellar likes this.
  5. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

I`m a big fan of this album and I have 2 editions.
    A remaster that I got in the late 90s and another one that I got approx 6-7 years ago.
    I dont have it in front of me but it did have a strange aka different type of jewel case cover.
    Regarding sound im no expert so no idea if one is better than the other…..

6. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

Based on how pleased I am with the MFSL Love Over Gold, I decided to order the MFSL Brothers in Arms. I'll post my impressions when I get it.

7. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

This is the latest version of this album that I have.
    No idea how it is rated regarding sound among you guys?
    [​IMG]

Kevin Cellar and c-eling like this.
  8. c-eling

Question is, how do you like it?
    I found the compression fatiguing on it. Shame the 2 channel HDCD didn't have peak extend.

BeatlesBop and Kevin Cellar like this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

10. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

I havent played it in a few years as the last time I played the album I used Spotify :(
    But from memory I liked the sound but I have a cheap music equipment and my old ears is not as it used to be……
    Perhaps a silly question but how can all the audio be on a cd with a capasity of just 7-800mb?

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

This is a dual layer SACD :)
    CD layer carries the 2 channel HDCD encoded Ludwig remaster
    SACD carries the Ludwig remaster DSD 2 channel and 5.1 mix.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Jon Dents' mastering is the same as Bob Ludwig.
    Rip the Dent CD with DSP channels remapped, in dbPoweramp.
    Position channel 1 to 2, and 2 to 1.
    This will get an AccurateRip, but the final audio will be a "corrected" channel.

Choose a song and open it in Audacity.
    Start with Dent.
    Then open the same song in another Audacity instance, but now from Ludwig's.
    Select all the track and choose amplify the track by 2dB.

You will notice that, if the same offset rip, the waveform is identical and the peaks are immutable.

I came to the conclusion that these are not different masters. It's the same digital thing, reversed and amplified by 2dB in Dents'.
    It's the EXACT SAME thing.

I know this for a fact because I owned the two 1985 CDs. They're identical after the "FIX".

As for all the remasters that exists, I dump them.
    The 1985 CD beats them all. Perhaps the original vinyl is a little less bright.

From my personal view, the original is much more detailed and wide. Yes, it has less bass, than the remasters, and it's freaking bright.
    But in the end, after exhaustively trying many pressings, original for the win.

PS: I despise the MFSL. If you want that, better get the cassette straight away. :)

Jack_Straw, isidroco and c-eling like this.
  13. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

I remember (from memory) that there was a "Brothers In Arms" CD that was sourced from (analog) tape.

Which version was that, does anybody know?

14. neil74

neil74 Forum Resident

Bump.

I have the SHM and MFSL SACDs and an early 80s CD. I also have the Abbey Road half speed master vinyl.

I am not terribly good at comparisons as by the time I switch from one to the other my ears have forgotten! For the SACDs/CD though if you pushed me I’d say the SHM just about edges it but that I prefer the longer run time of the MFSL, honestly though they all sound great as does the Vinyl but flipping that bugger 3 times is a pain!

15. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Isn't the SHM version the single edits? I was pretty happy with the MFSL SACD. Better than the original CD and the 1996 remaster.

George P likes this.
  16. neil74

neil74 Forum Resident

I think so yes, a few of the tracks are quite a bit shorter.

Being honest all of the copies I own sound great, if you only left me one at random I'd be ok with it.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thought I'd play the Brothers In Arms MOFI SACD this afternoon. After three songs I found the MOFI SACD a bit bright. So I switched to the West German Vertigo CD. I have to say it doesn't have the brightness of the MOFI SACD. So for stereo listening the WG Vertigo is the way to go IMO. Playback is with a Marantz SA-KI Ruby which never fails to shine when playing CDs.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

Not a fan of the MFSL Bill.
    That link above I posted has a nice breakdown Ricks provided :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

Sounds like fun! :laugh:
    Pam and I are pretty much bundled up also. Just a nice relaxing evening :)
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    I know we've discussed some of these MFSL's in the past, you know I still haven't gotten around to comparing any of the others. Think I just got burned out. :sigh:

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Nice... enjoy your Friday night at home! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

It's been awhile since I did any disc to disc comparisons. It's fun to do every now and then but it can be a little much at times :help:.