German Progressive and Krautrock Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sbroache, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

How to delete an accidentally twice posted answer???

:confused:

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But I think that's just for stuff that isn't available on cd legitimately.

3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Those are excellent. I got the lastest edition of Cosmic Egg on CD-ROM which has the information all hyperlinked, and it comes with a bonus disc of rare audio tracks.

4. Yeah I got the CD-ROM and the original book too.

The Freeman brother's shop "Ultima Thule" is in my boyhood home town of Leicester. I really miss visiting their shop to browse all the Krautrock stuff since I moved 100 miles to the south. I bought the whole of the Krautrocksampler Top 50 CDs there and much more besides - my favourite record shop period. The Freeman's magazine "Audion" is also a fun read.

5. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Just some opinions on the sonics of these, since nobody asked. ;)

The original OHR CD version of Operation smokes the Rep, IMO. The Rep is compressed horribly. The Spalax is also much better, if not quite as good as the OHR.

Live on Columbia is very good.

Sounds pretty bright. I have a feeling some top end boost was added at Polygram, Hannover, but a nice sounding disc overall. I'd love to hear the original vinyl, but can't see spending a fortune on it.

Fantastic archival release. No other release of this material so sonic evaluations would be somewhat useless.

I love this album, but Long Hair's stuff is horrible, sonically. Tweaked with massive compression and EQ. I plan on just buying the LP and avoid Long Hair's catalog whenever possible.

If this is the old Brain CD from 1990, I love it. Fantastic sound quality. Warm and wonderful. Play it loud!

Horrible mastering, but what can you do unless you happen to have a tape of the original radio b'cast? Worthwhile release.

Another album that I love, but both CD versions are horrible. The first issue on Second Battle was remastered with drastic top end boost tweaking. It is nearly unlistenable. Then they reissued it in a digipack with same (SB019) catalog number. The reissue got rid of all the crazy EQ from the first release, but slammed the entire signal with brickwall compression. I scored a copy of the old Second Battle LP reissue from 1989 and it is fantastic! It was also pretty cheap. Probably about what the CD versions go for. No contest here, the vinyl is essential. Hearing this album on CD just isn't really experiencing it.

Earbleed city. Unlistenable. Probably remastered from the old Germanofon CD, but that absolutely smokes the CMP. Both originate from vinyl, of course, but the CMP is no-noised heavily, with every last drop of air sucked out, then slammed with brickwall limiting.

Great sound. All 3 albums of their albums sound great, in fact. The Kuckuck CDs seem to still be in print, as well. People should be all over their catalog before it goes OOP.

The Germanofon version smokes this. If you want to do the right thing, grab the Germanofon and burn a copy, then put it in with your Long Hair version.

Compression city. Really loud and bad mastering. The Germanofon (aka OSA) is also compressed but not as bad.

Interesting album, but the CD mastering is so bad I wonder what it actually sounds like. Really crispy, annoying sound. Too bad the original vinyl costs a fortune. This is one of those cases where I guess one has to live with this CD version unless they love the album enough and can fork out big bucks for the Meteronome vinyl.

Anybody else want to throw out some titles?

6. B.Burl

B.Burl New Member

Eroc, I was wondering which disks that you've remastered would you recommend I purchase?

7. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

great book! I have 46 CDs of their top 50 list, but I think a few I don't have aren't released on CD yet, like Wired - Free Improvisation...Ibliss - Supernova was recently released, so I need that one!

8. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

Please check out www.eroc.de - choose Mastering Ranch - click on the British banner for English language and then click on "productions" below on the radio-scale. There you can see most of the albums I have remastered in the passed few years. If you find anything interesting we all can discuss about it here.

- Eroc

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I've heard that the Ibliss disc is a bootleg...

10. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

the current "retro disc" issue is a boot-but the planned reissue (soon to come ?) on Garden of Delights will be official :righton:

11. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

whoops played mine over the weekend-was not the first repertoire but the original Metronome cd (837 984-2)-still enjoyed it though -Jumped out of my seat when the guitar first came in on Muhlheim Special
    Is the first part of the concert in the can as well ?

12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Hopefully this will be released soon, hasn't the announcement been on the label's website for a few years already?

13. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

Sorry - no...

We only recorded Solar Music back then on my little half-inch 8-track machine. But complete concerts are to be found in the SMR-series. Check out my website or PM.

- Eroc

14. B.Burl

B.Burl New Member

Cheers. :)

15. Dobry

Dobry Forum Resident

Just some opinions on the sonics of these, since nobody asked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dobry View Post
    BIRTH CONTROL -operation-PMS 7072-WY
    BIRTH CONTROL -live -col 487168 2
    The original OHR CD version of Operation smokes the Rep, IMO. The Rep is compressed horribly. The Spalax is also much better, if not quite as good as the OHR.

Live on Columbia is very good.

Quote:
    ELOY-s/t-SB010
    Sounds pretty bright. I have a feeling some top end boost was added at Polygram, Hannover, but a nice sounding disc overall. I'd love to hear the original vinyl, but can't see spending a fortune on it.

Quote:
    ERNA SCHMIDT-live 69-71-GoD CD048

Fantastic archival release. No other release of this material so sonic evaluations would be somewhat useless.

Quote:
    IMPROVED SOUND LIMITED-s/t-LHC00007,
    I love this album, but Long Hair's stuff is horrible, sonically. Tweaked with massive compression and EQ. I plan on just buying the LP and avoid Long Hair's catalog whenever possible.

Quote:
    JANE-togerher- PMV 843075-2
    If this is the old Brain CD from 1990, I love it. Fantastic sound quality. Warm and wonderful. Play it loud!

Quote:
    JUD'S GALLERY-SWF-sessions vol.1-LHC00001
    Horrible mastering, but what can you do unless you happen to have a tape of the original radio b'cast? Worthwhile release.

Quote:
    LIGHT OF DARKNESS-s/t-SB019
    Another album that I love, but both CD versions are horrible. The first issue on Second Battle was remastered with drastic top end boost tweaking. It is nearly unlistenable. Then they reissued it in a digipack with same (SB019) catalog number. The reissue got rid of all the crazy EQ from the first release, but slammed the entire signal with brickwall compression. I scored a copy of the old Second Battle LP reissue from 1989 and it is fantastic! It was also pretty cheap. Probably about what the CD versions go for. No contest here, the vinyl is essential. Hearing this album on CD just isn't really experiencing it.

Quote:
    ORANG PEEL-s/t-CMP601-2
    Earbleed city. Unlistenable. Probably remastered from the old Germanofon CD, but that absolutely smokes the CMP. Both originate from vinyl, of course, but the CMP is no-noised heavily, with every last drop of air sucked out, then slammed with brickwall limiting.

Quote:
    OUT OF FOCUS-s/t-kuckuck 11010-2
    Great sound. All 3 albums of their albums sound great, in fact. The Kuckuck CDs seem to still be in print, as well. People should be all over their catalog before it goes OOP.

Quote:
    SITTING BULL-trip away-LHC00015
    The Germanofon version smokes this. If you want to do the right thing, grab the Germanofon and burn a copy, then put it in with your Long Hair version.

Quote:
    TIGER B.SMITH-tiger rock-SB036
    Compression city. Really loud and bad mastering. The Germanofon (aka OSA) is also compressed but not as bad.

Quote:
    ZARATHUSTRA-s/t-SB029,
    Interesting album, but the CD mastering is so bad I wonder what it actually sounds like. Really crispy, annoying sound. Too bad the original vinyl costs a fortune. This is one of those cases where I guess one has to live with this CD version unless they love the album enough and can fork out big bucks for the Meteronome vinyl.

Anybody else want to throw out some titles?
    -Collector dilemma " buy or not buy",
    -Collector cd dilemma " want or to have"
    Cheers,
    Andrzej

16. Dobry

Dobry Forum Resident

Thanks Jeff for your analysis , but you remember:
    - Hamlet dilemma " to be or not to be",
    -Collector dilemma " buy or not buy",
    -Collector cd dilemma " want or to have"
    Cheers,
    Andrzej

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Any recommendations for stuff along the lines of "Gila" (sort of space jamy, post rock-ish sound)

18. I don't know about sounding 'Post Rock', definitely post psych

Early Ash Ra Tempel and Cosmic Jokers

Gomorrha: I Turned To See Whose Voice It WAs

Lava: Tears Are Goin Home

19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They reminded me of this modern band called Grails, sort of a Middle Eastern (?) feel to their music.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check out Gomorrha and Lava.

20. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

all awesome, and other Cosmic Jokers to seek out:

Walter Wegmuller - Tarot
    Sergius Golowin - Lord Krishna von Goloka

as well as everything by the mighty Agitation Free, particularly Malesch! They and Embryo could be considered the greatest German band of all, by me at least

it's interesting that the Gila LP, aka Free Electric Sound, is absolutely nothing like the the 2nd, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, which is essentialy a Popul Vuh record...and also interesting that Gila guitarist Connie Veit was in Guru Guru for a few months, but never recorded with them, except as heard on the criminally officially unreleased WDR radio show bootleg "Uncuts"

21. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Gila first is fantastic.... (electric sound) a must...:righton:
    other "must have" :

Agitation Free : ALL what they did...
    Golowin / krishna is excellent ( especially first track)
    Kalacakra/ Crawling to lhasa
    Thirsty moon same title : i have put five stars/5 on some tracks
    Wallenstein /Blitzkrieg
    Holderlin/ holderlin Traum
    Emtidi/ Saat
    Cluster & Eno
    Embryo/rache i have the original lp...
    dom/edge of time
    Ashra Tempel : the private Tapes Fantaastic collector signed bt MG
    Amon duul ( not 2) : para dies swarts
    Annexus Quam/ osmose WOW !!!!!!:goodie:
    Ibliss/supernova

i have over 6 go of krautrock... lol
    let's discuss guys ....:wave:

22. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Krautrock in the late 60 early 70 was a fantastic area of creation...
    we all know Tadream, KS ( klaus Schulze) Ashra tempel/Manu Gottsching , Can, Neu!, Faust ( faust BBC sessions : the track Krautrock is unbelievable)....
    i was 19 when i bought Phaedra from Tadream and irrlicht from KS in 1973...
    in few words : a fantastic period of freedom AND creation:edthumbs:

23. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Indeed, Ash Ra Tempel's Private Tapes is argueably better than any of their 'official' albums.

24. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

well it looks like it's a shop, but there are lots of comments and the discography of the krautrock groups are pretty complete :

http://www.krautrock-musikzirkus.de/index.php?lang=en

and , cherry on the cake, there is a notation of each album... and IMHO it's pretty accurate

25. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.