HDCDs with Peak Extend

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jonmayo15, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The dBpoweramp converter didn't work for me on track #1. But I'm still on version 17.7

What version of dBpoweramp are you using?

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm even older, version 15.3 with DSP effects release 11. I'm using a win7 PC.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I played around with this some more today. I'm still unable to get track #1 to have a DR of more than DR7 after decoding.

I don't know if there is something different between my rip of the CD and yours. But I'm not yet able to get track #1 to have a DR of more than DR7.

I tried the older versions of hdcd.exe that I have. I tried the version that is in dBpoweramp V15. I tried the version that is in dBpoweramp V17. And even bought V2024 to find out if that would work (it didn't).

Also tried using a release build version of ffmpeg to decode it. Using the command line. And that didn't work. ffmpeg did detect that the file has peak_extend. But the decoded version is still a DR7.

It seems there is something weirdly corrupt about the HDCD codes in track #1. Maybe there's different pressings of that CD where one will have a track #1 that will decode to a DR12 and the other track #1 pressing will only decode to a DR7? Maybe ripping drive offsets make a difference? I don't know. This is a messed up CD.

note:
    ffmpeg has a confusing command line argument structure and syntax
    The easiest way I've found to figure out ffmpeg is to use FFmpeg Explorer to generate a command line with the parameters you select. Then edit that command line to use the input file name and output file name you want to use. And that generally works.
    FFmpeg Explorer: FFmpeg Explorer!

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That seems to be summation, here. :shrug:

5. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

I think that the “Always On My Mind” CD Extra data session on the disc may be wreaking havoc with HDCD decoding on PC but not on audio component hardware.

I got in today a 696998925724 original UPC, CTDP matrix. This should be a 2003 pressing, give or take. My experiences with dBpoweramp, CUERipper/CUETools, and foobar2000 mirror what Ham Sandwich has described.

Check your UPC. Columbia/Legacy reissued the CD around 2008 with an updated UPC, 886972414423. That could make a difference if some HDCD encoding issues were resolved or the CD Extra data session was removed.

Per the Dynamic Range DB, at least one Europe pressing exists without the CD Extra data session.

AJ

velo_TX likes this.
  6. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

Winding down a stormy Saturday evening with my fave soundtrack...
    [​IMG]
    Local Hero - Music by Mark Knopfler; Vertigo 811 038-2

Playing the HDCD through my Yamaha TSR-7810's recent-gen Dolby Surround, which matrices the stereo into 5.1.2 (they call it Dolby Atmos). :agree:

7. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It *upmixes on the fly. Analog matrix encoding/decoding—as with the original Dolby Surround, Pro Logic, and its variants—is not involved.

8. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

However it's done, I'm pleased with the result. Truthfully, when I got the Yamaha AVR I was hoping for some form of Pro Logic II (like what I had with my HK AVRs), but fortunately the Dolby Surround that came with the AVR, like Pro Logic II, is configurable.

From the manual:
    To have a full effect of Dolby Atmos contents, we recommend using a speaker system with a ★ mark...
    • (About the number of channels) For example, “5.1.2” denotes “standard 5.1-channel plus 2 for overhead speaker channels”...
    5.1.2 system [★] (using front presence speakers)
    This speaker system uses the front presence speakers to produce a natural 3-dimensional sound field, and also creates Virtual Surround Back Speaker (VSBS) using the surround speakers to add a sense of depth to the rear sound field. This system is suited for enjoying not only 5.1-channel but also for 7.1-channel contents...
    When using front presence speakers installed to the ceiling or when using the Dolby Enabled speakers as the presence speakers, configure the “Layout (Front Presence)” setting in the “Setup” menu...
    Notes on installation of ceiling speakers When installing presence speakers to a ceiling, install them just above the listening position, or the ceiling between the extensions of the front speakers and listening position.

OK, the Dolby Surround isn't true Dolby Atmos, but the resultant sound is more enveloping than stereo alone, and with the Front Presence speakers up towards the ceiling working with the surrounds in the back, to my ears the sound signature is pretty convincing.

JediJoker likes this.