How to better understand the language of jazz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregY, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honestly, an outgrowth of the "Body And Soul" experiement might be getting ahold of something like the Gerry Mulligan Quartet's Pacific Jazz or Stan Getz's Royal Roost recordings, most of which seem to have been done with 78 rom sides in mind in the early 50s...they're usually well thought out and performed, and they don't go on for 9 minutes, which may also help you out.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I think a great way to jump into another music genre is to turn on the radio and let something find you. It's almost like a blind test: you hear the tune, no preconceptions. It either grabs you or it doesn't. When it does, you know it. Then you explore from there. This happened to me a few years back before I got into jazz. In my car listening to the local college station, I heard "New Call of The Freaks", a 1929 recording by the Luis Russell Orchestra, featuring Henry "Red" Allen on trumpet. It grabbed me like nothing else I had ever heard. The dj never gave any info about the tune, and it took me months to track down the artist and song and locate a cd with that cut on it, but it opened up a whole new world for me.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Rickie Lee Jones got a lot out of Lady Day and Joni Mitchell. "Easy Money" would have been a great Billie Holiday song. It would be wonderful if Madeline Peyroux would cover it. By the way, Madeline Peyroux's CDs are a great intro to jazz for rockers. Ms. Peyroux has the timbre and tone of mid-thirities Lady Day but mainly covers songs written after the Lady's passing. Sheryl Crow got a lot from Joni Mitchell's jazz voice and by extension she is also an student of Ms. Holiday's school of jazz phrasing. Lots of pop singers, if you think of it, learned how to bend time from Billie Holiday records. Rod Stewart's recent "Songbook" series sound like some weird "Lady In Satin" outakes. Speaking of which, anybody here hear Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" CD?

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"He's right, you know". It's been playing at work, and it sounds like one of the all-time great "Tarne" recordings to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.