Installing a Dynavector 10x5 on a P3...What do I need?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emkay

emkay Senior Member

This is gratuitous I know...

it's been a while since I installed the Dynavector 10x5 on my Rega P3 turntable, and at some point the sound changed -- for the better.

It was already a better listen compared to the Elys2 it replaced, but now it's superiority is absolutely clear. I could not be happier with the decision and only wish I'd sprung the extra money for this cart to begin with. Live and learn I suppose...

BTW - there were initially some issues with the sound that some posters felt may have been related to my preamp and suggestions were made about suitable models that could be used in my system... thanks for those. For the time being, this cart sounds, well, AWESOME with the built-in preamp in my Rotel RX-1052. When my ears are ready, I suppose I'll investigate that again but right now I'm a super happy camper.

I hope my fellow 10x5 owners are equally jazzed!

2. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I'm right there with you, except mine is on a P2 through a Denon receiver and Rotel amp. I just got the thing to defeat inner groove distortion, and it's doing that, but I'm hearing more detail out of my records, too. Wish I had this forum back in the day to point me to better tracking carts.

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

how could we not be! this cart is AMAZING.

I reckon this thread is legendary as it played a big part in my choice of cart for my new TT. I'm about 30-35 hours in and it's just getting better and better, which is quite amazing as it sounded fantastic to start with.

the only downside is it's turned me into a bit of a smug know-it-all when it comes to carts for Rega's. how and why would you use anything less, I don't know. :D

"but $380's a bit pricey for a cart......"

have a listen and get back to me. ;)

4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Anyone have any clips of the 10x5 in action? Maybe playing something with Steve's mastering? Please...please...please...

:laugh:

5. Coldacre

clips as in a needledrop?

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Yep, I had to eat my words on the 10x5 also.It just has to break in. Being a moving coil cart it had a much sharper sound to it at first. Now after its relaxed and found its home in my meger system it sounds better and better.

7. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Ha! Yes, audio clips. Although I'm sure the 10x5 looks nice as well. :)

8. Coldacre

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to post. Now, where do I find that Radiohead on LP? ;)

10. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

11. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm still lovin' it. I'm not sure what is going to wear out first, the 10x5 or the 45rpm Radiohead In Rainbows. Those two slabs of vinyl haven't made it back into the discbox since it arrived. I listen to vinyl so much more now than I did with the Elys cartridge. Night and day. I love my P3 now!

12. stever

stever Senior Member

I've had a P3 w/Elys 2 cart for two years, and I may have to spring for a Dynavector 10x5. But I'm not sure I trust myself to change the cartridge. Where have you folks found the best price for the 10x5?

13. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

The price is pretty much fixed. $380. Occasionally Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds has a 10% off sale, but that is the only way I know of to get a discount.

14. Coldacre

I'm pretty sure it's $380 US across the board. It cost me $500 Aus from Dynavector Australia, but I'm telling you it was worth every cent. Once you hear this baby you won't care about the dollars.

15. Coldacre

I just gave it a go - it was fine with the first vinyl I put on.... I put on another and the whistle was back :(

switched back to MC... all good again.

I ordered the TT-PSU today from Carlton Audio..... I had a listen in the shop and it sounded significantly better.

16. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

FWIW, as I mention in the P2 and Dynavector thread, I just got a Cambridge 540P and I don't get that whistle with it, which is fortunate, since it only has the MM input.

17. Coldacre

Oh don't worry, I'll be the only person in the southern hemisphere that it'll happen to, such is my luck :rolleyes:

18. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

19. Coldacre

I'm happy to report that the addition of the TT-PSU to the equation is a marked improvement. More depth, presence and a definite improvement in the bass department.

I'm doing A/B testing between this setup and cd and I can't stop smiling. It blows the cd OUT OF THE WATER.

I realize that none of this is hardly a revelation to you guys. I guess I'm just so happy to be experiencing the joy of vinyl for the first time, in a way that I've always heard about from others. I've bought a second copy of Midnight Oil's "10 to 1" on ebay for 8 dollars, cleaned it up and now it's destroying the cd version. Awesome.

20. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I'm thinking about buying this TT/cart combination so I can enter the world of respectable analog playback. Will I need to buy an outboard phono stage, or will this cartridge work with my receiver's built-in phono stage?

21. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

Your receiver's phono stage will work fine.

Hukk

22. phallumontis

Thanks, Hukk. I'd heard that it's a high-output MC cartridge, but I wanted to be sure.

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Just so you know, even though the 10X5 is a high output MC it still puts out less voltage than the average MM cartridge. All that means is that you'll need to turn your volume control up more than your used to.

24. phallumontis

Yup. I looked up the output in mV on my current cartridge to compare, and figured that would be the case. Thanks for the help, guys.

What about tonearm spacers? How many mm's of spacing will I need for the 10x5 on a P3-24?

25. Coldacre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.