is the CD mastering of Brian Wilson's Lucky Old Sun brickwalled?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slipperman87, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

If Mark Linett mixed it, then he probably used the surrounds and the two front speakers and barely used the center channel.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Why? Because he mixed Pet Sounds that way?

BTW -- could it be that there is a difference between the 16-bit sound of a cd, and the 24-bit sound of a dvd, and the absolute hi-rez sound of a vinyl record?

In a forum for audiophiles, you'd think this would at least be a criteria. :angel:

3. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Because he mixed EVERY 5.1 mix he's done that way. Not that it's a negative thing. It's a bit more like a QUAD mix, really.

4. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

No, scary that someone said the vinyl is significantly better than the CD. The LP is pretty dull-sounding, and one of the poorer sounding I own.

5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

To my ears the vinyl is a minor upgrade over the CD. I tend to play the CD for convenience and it is by no means offensive. No, it doesn't sound great but it is clearly not brickwalled.

Tom

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'll join the choir and say that I feel the vinyl is only a teaspoon better than the CD. The CD is bordering abbrasive, but its not harsh enough to hamper my enjoyment of it. I play the album a lot, especially on long roadtrips. Its one of the few albums my wife and I can enjoy together in its entirity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.