Jimi Hendrix General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Jul 9, 2021.

1. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Thanks

There is something magical, when a hot car is running through the gears. I`ve always imagined the sounds, a grear guitar player would get playing with the the whine of the engine, like he does with his guitar.

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Anyone have a recording of John Cage running through the gears of his Tesla?

3. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Jimi loved his Vettes but he had Mr. Magoo eyesight and refused to wear glasses. He crashed one of the two he owned near the edge of a canyon after leaving a party following a Cream show

Insurance wound up covering it and he replaced it with another one that he painted green! IIRC, Jimi never held a valid driver's license.

jhm, Tuck1977, mark renard and 2 others like this.
  4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

We can be sure of somethings. The delay is minor, maybe it fed some imaginations as to what this, the documentary was about.

While there remains no official announcement for release we do have to acknowledge that they have made a statement via the streaming deal.

kees1954 likes this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

You have the music in the box set! So there is no real exception here.

What you have is just part of a set! So it's worth keeping in mind just how this leaked material is not really in context.

Again, do you want clips of audio with voice over throughout? It would be an odd edit of a documentary if it were stop start to play tracks throughout.

kees1954 likes this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Not everyone has a big enough interest in Hendrix, period.

I'm no ABBA fan but I watched a great docu on them recently. No I didn't run out to buy their audio. Watched a great Genesis docu recently, showed a few live clips, some studio recording clips. I have their main catalogue and a bit more here. No it didn't alter what I plan to buy. It did bring both bands into focus and someone will see this Hendix vision docu and go out and explore Jimi.

If fans have no interest in this sort of release they just won't buy. Buy, maybe buying is an issue for some anyway.

Tar? Just an observation from comments cropping up regard the out of context leaked docu. I can't help what or how you personally think.

alchemy and kees1954 like this.
  7. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Um...no, Gord. I dont. There is no boxset. EH have never released or announced such set either. You have reminded us of that more than once.

No again Gord. And I dont think I ever made that request.

Id like to pretend to understand your point of view on this, just for the sake of niceties. But I dont.

What we have is a leaked and below par documentary that shares the name of an unreleased boxset, that's supposedly been delayed due to little to zero interest (understandably so) from streaming services, that does not mention, nor contain any music from the still unreleased boxset it is inextricably linked to. And I find that odd.

Lost In The Flood and hoggydoggy like this.
  8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

In terms of getting interested in buying product from an artist i dont think our age groups are what the marketing should even need to aim for as hardcore or mature age fans will find and buy their Hendrix or Abba (and dabble with and not buy other acts well known to them since day dot) but getting new "youthful" dollars to "experience" Hendrix is where the bank account stays healthily in the black moving forward.
    I thank you for comedically for pointing out that you are not a mind reader as respectfully you are already possessed of many virtues and that on top of them would just be unfair.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Gordon Johnson and jhm like this.
  9. All Down The Line

Didn't he also abandon one or two and just buy another?

10. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I just had a conversation with a gentleman who has the boxset.

I made the obvious request.

States he's not really into Jimi and plans on keeping it sealed.

Kind of frustrating.

11. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Why would he keep it wrapped up till it is released worldwide?:confused:

12. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

No idea. I tried to explain. But he just didnt get it.

kees1954 and All Down The Line like this.
  13. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

He’ll get it when it drops from 1500 to 50 in value.

hoggydoggy, weavzy, intv7 and 7 others like this.
  14. All Down The Line

More dollars than sense?

weavzy and kees1954 like this.
  15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks for reaching out to him. So he bought it as an "investment"?

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

It's clearly now his Investment Property! :laugh:

17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

So any idea where this Electric Lady documentary will be streaming?

18. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Not sure. I believe he only owned 2 vettes.

19. John Harchar

Officially nowhere yet. An unofficial version popped up the other day, likely has been taken down by now.

20. Gordon Johnson

You do have the audio in the box set, like I said, this leaked docu is out of context. When the doc is released so will the the rest of it.

Correct, no you didn't, you did express disappointment regards what new audio in the doc did have a voice over. Yet you want more audio in the documentary. Can you make your mind up?

Why would the documentary replicate the audio from the box set?

You claim a lack of interest in streaming, is that a fact or something you think is a fact?

Bit like the wagon jumped on with the Mitchell/ Redding lawsuit brigade.

21. Gordon Johnson

Please, let me know ow what my virtues are, I could do with an ego boost.

As for EH, they target new age groups almost constantly, to the point that forget the those long standing fans.

davies54 likes this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well we know a UK based group bought the rights to stream it there, but beyond the UK, I honestly don't know at this point.

Nielsoe and kees1954 like this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't think it's quite that bad...yet.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I just want bonus songs on the documentary blu-ray. MSG 69 song, Village Gate 70 song, Cal Expo song and-or full Berlin 70 interview clip.

Kramer going thru the multitrack is only so-so for me. I don't revisit the 2011 bonus DVDs much and there's an hour total of him doing that. I like the ELL doc from 25 years ago where it's Kramer and Chas going at the board together and Chas laughing at Kramer's exaggerations.

I take it that the upcoming doc, haven't seen it yet. I assume they skip his drug use, Jimi being locked out of his studio since it was rented out to 3rd parties, The high price tag is partly because Krammer encouraged certain aspects and stopped the club income and even if Jimi lived and got a new manager Mike Jeffrieys had to power to block book the studio to limit Jimis access.

25. John Harchar

They include most of that except the drug use (not a surprise there).

I think some of those clips included as bonus would be a great idea. From what we know of the sent doesn’t appear they did that, we’ll wait and see.

And I’m the opposite with Eddie at the board. When they posted all the videos for the songs I spent an entire afternoon hunting them all down. Have done several run throughs.

All Down The Line and kees1954 like this.