Jimi Hendrix General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Jul 9, 2021.

1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

So we have confirmation that the boxset will be released when the doco is aired on Sky Arts? Great news Gordo!

Expressing disappointment of the talking over the new music on the doco and wanting more music from the boxset on the doco are two different things. And my mind is made up about that. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

No idea mate. I dont know of that ever happening (excluding 5.1 mixes as bonuses). Why do you ask?

I dont know if it's a fact. But after seeing the doco, I think its obvious. I find it hard to believe Sky Arts was the first streaming service EH approached.

Regardless Gordo, I'd prefer to move away from this discourse with you. We have differing opinions on its quality and we are unlikely to reach middle ground. I fail to see how context will improve the quality or importance of the documentary. Youre convinced it will.

Either way, I love Jimi. You love Jimi and we both want the boxset. We can always agree on that.

tedhead, Tuck1977, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Good heart

Good heart Forum Resident

I thought I had good knowledge about Jimi but reading the comments I’ve learned so much more.

Mark7 likes this.
  3. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Interesting for me to see parts of the Berlin 9/4/70 interview after hearing the audio forever (music at the link has stereo mix of 2 sources, btw.) Small quibble, but EH easily could have used the audio here as it's more clear than in the doc.

Since I'm on the Euro 70 tour topic, I get Jimi going over to play the IOW, as it was a big payday. But not sure why and who thought it was a good idea to make a whole tour out of it when the plan was to get an album out ASAP. It seems to make more sense to do the IOW as a one off, then come back and tap the U.S. markets that had not been hit yet on the tour. In the West: Portland, Spokane and San Francisco. They did play Berkeley but that as a very small venue and it seems they could have come back to play a larger venue in Sept-Oct. Phoenix, Vegas and Salt Lake City could also have been booked. In the Midwest: Cleveland, Chicago, Indianapolis. Also could have re-booked St. Louis, Cincinnati and played Pittsburgh. Ok, a bit of a ramble there about events 50+ years ago, but could have changed things.

4. StickyFingers85

StickyFingers85 They Think He's a Righteous Dude

Careful what you believe. There's a lot of total BS in this thread.

5. JBECGB

JBECGB Forum Resident

Besides IOW, Super Concert '70 and Fehmarn were also big festivals he played on that Euro tour.

6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Sorry to disappoint, I have no idea of the time frame of release and streaming. Nice try though :)

I'm just confused as to why you wa t more voiced over music in the doc, because this and no other doc presents full audio tracks combined.

Well we can all imagine what we want, it's free.

It'll I.prove the cotext as you get the audio to go alongside of it. That was after all your complaint.

7. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

You're just noticing this now?

Hendrix threads have been persona-non-grata on this forum for people with "real" knowledge for years now, for good reason.

Why it has been allowed to continue unabated is perhaps another matter.

multi.flacs.project likes this.
  8. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Im confused as to why you think I do. I just wanted more music. Not complete tracks, as that would be unrealistic. Im reffering to more snippets, sneak peaks etc.

I dont remember complaining about a lack of context. You might be thinking of someone else there.

So it will be interesting to see if EH do release the doc on Sky Arts the day the boxset is released. I wonder if they are aware of the importance 'context' supposedly has for this project.

9. Jimi's touring schedule was always a mess.
    It wasn't thought out much geographically for itinerary if it all!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All those Haters for all these decades on all those despicable posts [accusing Hendrix of not getting anything done] should check out Hendrix's tour schedules.

The Cry of Love tour alone went from April to September w/37 dates.

Mark7 likes this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

No, I don't need convincing nor do I feel the quality of the doc will improve with context. I'm good with it now, it's a doc about the studio, always was going to be that.

It's not me who feels this falls short for whatever reason.

The audio will help with context and its the lack of audio which you feel let's this doc down, or at least thats how I've read your previous posts.

Or is it as expressed earlier, expectation. Expecting something different to that delivered.

11. Gordon Johnson

But you wouldn't need sneak peeks if this hadn't been leaked and was presented as intended, in the box set alo side of the audio.

The context seems to be important to you as it is you that seemingly is missing the obvious here, that this is a leaked doc.

Who knows, the box set may appear first or VV, or even together. Though I doubt the latter.

12. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Honestly it feels like an expansion of the 2010 bonus DVD with First Rays. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing but the documentary is at the bottom of the barrel of what I am interested in concerning the ELL Studios boxset release.

weavzy likes this.
  13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

well thanks to the generosity of the universe ;) I've watched the doco, and found it better than my expectations, very enjoyable and eddie soloing the instruments in Freedom was mind blowing, would so love a whole video of Eddie pulling apart hendrix songs from the multitracks and hearing them and him talk about it... oh in the the fact Jimi played the piano part..

If anyone of note is reading this, as a 50 year fan of Jimi please please make this happen... :wave:

14. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Under appreciated. That’s funny.

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Now, now Gordon i find that unlikely.

Well EH still remembered us Groovy Children and besides whatever comes out we will usually moan about and then usually purchase anyway.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Tuck1977 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Couple of questions about the doc.

-I wish it had some postscript about who owned it, who-when it was re-sold and how long some of those guys worked there.
    -no mention of Chas Chandler possibly mixing some of the 1970 album.
    -are those unseen angles from IOW?
    -Jimi got 100k in Cash for the 1970 LA Forum gig(even if you include the Oakland stadium show that weekend) that seems high even for him in that era. Pre-tax total for Jimi and Jeffries.
    -They should have had more album covers from those who have used the studio near the credits. Common and DMB were repeated. Major acts were skipped and others I didn't recognize and too small to read the font.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE SUPER RARE SNAPSHOT CLIP OF JIMI WITH FLYING V. It’s around the 2:20 mark in Electric Lady Studio Excerpts, just before Jimi’s home movies. There must be so much rare footage.

18. Gordon Johnson

Nah, its a rubbish documentary. Who cares :)

19. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I don't think Chas had anything to do with mixing cry of love, Dolly dagger angles the normal ones, :wave:

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

So I just had another quick conversation with the gentleman who has the boxset.

In my attempt to explain to him the logic in keeping it sealed will be null and void once the set is officially released, I inadvertently convinced him to sell it...still sealed, thus no needle drop.

So keep your eyes open gang. Another set should be on the market soon enough.

kees1954 likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Jimi wanted Chas to do some mixing on the session, but nothing came of it. Likely to happen in the UK given Kramers quotes in the doc. I'm sure Chas would have been scared of anything more than 4 or even 8 tracks. In the 70s, Slade Chas worked with Slade which did not have fancy production.

Mark7 and kees1954 like this.
  22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No but in 1970 he and Jimi did play the game of Risk!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  23. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

24. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

I'm wondering if the documentary contains any footage of Bill Graham's venues?

25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Didn’t appear so.

jhm likes this.