Jimi Hendrix General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Jul 9, 2021.

1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They have footage but sit on it or just release tiny glimpses. Rare Jimi footage in the doc is more seconds than minutes.

Looks like EH yanked the clips and full doc I watched earlier this week.

2:18 - 2:22. Fillmore East glimpse judging by light show?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Does kind of look like it, but I don’t think his outfit matches any of the Fillmore photos, either 1968 or Band of Gypsys.

3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This is what I was getting at it being super rare. It’s in colour, he has is playing a Flying V, looks like a military jacket and big wild hair, so I would say it’s 67. There can’t be many gigs with a light show behind where is used a Gibson V.

kees1954 likes this.
  4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

just played my 2 tone EL pressing, 1st side, not a wasted note on it, but lord help me, voodoo child is one of the best things ever recorded at 7:30 am no less... the power and intensity just pour out from the speakers nearly 60 years later, oh what I'd give to be in the studio listening to that being tracked live off the floor all those years ago

5. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I Wish they filmed that recording session.

6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

so this....

Voodoo Child slight return WAS filmed and the footage is lost... :(

7. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Ive said it before, but I'll say it again...

Forget Black Gold. Forget RAH. Man, forget this boxset...
    The ABC VCSR film is the holy grail for me. If that ever shows up, I will die a happy man.

But yeah, Voodoo Chile would've been a great session to have been filmed. I think the Slight Return Sessions just hurts so much because we know it was filmed. But now its probably nothing more than dust in the wind...

...oh man...just cuts me up.

Purple Jim, RAZORMADE, DTK and 4 others like this.
  8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

oh we feel you....

:(

weavzy likes this.
  9. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

No way…….. it’s out there never give up hope. Keeps the dream alive.

10. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Maybe EH have it in the archives. On the same shelf as RAH, Black Gold and the ELSbox. All marked "Never To Be Released".

jdthebrit1 likes this.
  11. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I was very surprised Experienced Hendrix had footage from Miami 1968 which is one of those holy grail films made around the same time as the footage that is missing.

RAZORMADE, Mark7, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  12. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

True. I guess theres hope. EH have never been in a rush to release things. Stranger things have happened.

13. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

They really are missing a trick. They should look at Grateful Dead’s business model. Yes, they have a lot of years to choose from by comparison but they could still do similar.
    They could try a subscription service for limited exclusives.
    They could have exclusive AI de mixed and cleaned up bootlegs.
    Exclusive online pay per view streams of rare live footage.
    Access to multitracks to hear isolated drums, bass, guitar.
    Online exclusive photo gallery - close up HD shots of rare Jimi paraphernalia guitars, equipment like a virtual museum.
    Just a thought.

tcbtcb, DTK and All Down The Line like this.
  14. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I like your thinking. And as long as theres records getting released, Im buying.

I've always said, EH need to get on to the multi source merged bootleg recording train. Some of them sound real good and would sound fine as a record release (I'm looking at you LA70). Some of the merges fans have put together have great depth and atmosphere. Revive Dagger. Make it a subscription service. Count me in.

...oh...and release RAH, Black Gold and ELSbox...

15. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I can't be the only one wondering what this is.

16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

ABC camera team filmed the band recording Voodoo Child (Slight Return), but the footage is lost.

tedhead and jhm like this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It actually "went missing" after Jimi passed. The implication was that all the ABC footage was stolen as I recall.

18. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

It's in a crate, right next to the Ark of the Covenant.

19. JBECGB

JBECGB Forum Resident

I've heard about the ABC/VC footage but I wonder how long they had it before it disappeared. They did have '68 Miami Pop footage they showed when he died.

20. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

It is likely 1/8/68 Stockholm and contains additional footage/angle from the back that isn't in this commonly circulated footage that has circulated for years.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  21. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

IIRC is was a bunch of stuff ABC filmed, studio, Miami, interviews, etc. and it might have been the “JH” doc filmmakers that looked for it in 1973 and it was missing.

mBen989 and jhm like this.
  22. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I think it's possible the VCSR footage is in the hands of a high level collector.

23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

You’d think at the very least word would’ve leaked that it might be in private hands. A lot of the other stuff that’s not available there’s at least an idea of where it might be. No one’s seen it for 55 years already. The hope might have been it was with the Miami material but…

24. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

My uneducated guess: someone who had access to the ABC archive and figured no one at the network would care if it went missing just walked out with it sometime after 9/19/70. Maybe he thought he could sell it, or he was a fan and thought it would be cool to have, but with no easy way to play it, he put it in a box and it’s sitting in a garage somewhere. Maybe the theft occurred when it was pulled for the death report and was waiting to be re-filed?
    Here is info from the EH website:

“Experience publicist, Michael Goldstein arranged for ABC-TV to record the group’s studio work on 5/3/68 for a proposed news feature. Although the 16mm film recordings captured the Experience recording “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” at the Record Plant, no records indicate if the footage was ever used. Unfortunately, this footage, along with the recordings for the Experience’s May 10 show at Fillmore East and May 18 show at the Miami Pop Festival were all stolen from the ABC-TV archives sometime after Hendrix’s death in 1970.”

kees1954, All Down The Line and jhm like this.
  25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the fact that not a snippet has ever been seen again, implies it's either in land fill, lost or destroyed

jhm, advancecharmander and Mark7 like this.