Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Apr 18, 2024.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Jarleboy, MLutthans, quicksrt and 8 others like this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Interesting that For the Roses has a NEW 2023 quad mix. I guess that’s one way to include an album in a Quadio box set. :laugh:

Jarleboy, dobyblue and audiomixer like this.
  3. audiomixer

:laugh:
    I think, for the price and contents, it's a steal. Bye, bye MoFi!

**Remember, Dolby Atmos mixes are also included. Win-Win!**

klockwerk, Sordel, Jarleboy and 8 others like this.
  4. CDSteve

CDSteve Forum Resident

I too am excited about this Quadio box set. I didn't actually know there was a 1970s quad mix of Miles of Aisles. I am familiar with the Court and Hissing quad mixes.
    I will also get all the MoFi SACDs.
    I believe Hejira will be included by MoFi, which is the SACD I am most looking forward to. A single LP was always an unsatisfactory format for Hejira due to the length of each side and therefore inner groove distortion. For that reason I am hopeful that the SACD might be the best-ever-sounding version of Hejira.
    It's a real shame that MoFi won't be doing Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, which for me is a major part of Joni's peak period.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    klockwerk, Jarleboy and audiomixer like this.
  5. audiomixer

Yes, I will buy "Hejira" when MoFi brings it out 4 years from now, but I will be passing on "Court" & "Hissing". I have Steve's "Court" and with my "Blue" experience with MoFi, I'm not biting.

Jarleboy and CDSteve like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Ordered

Sean, 007james and audiomixer like this.
  7. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

No uk ??

Sean, zobalob and SimonCH like this.
  8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Did any other Joni albums ever get quad mixes at the time? LotC? Blue?

9. MagmaHawk

MagmaHawk Well-Known Member

Nowhere available in Europe or via Amazon ?

zobalob likes this.
  10. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

The Rhino business model seems to be an exclusive 60-90 day ordering window before they go into general retail distribution.
    @Steel Woole

Balcony Falcon, Beaneydave and VeeDub like this.
  11. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Holy Crap! Immediate order.

And I'll be buying the MoFis too. It's Joni Freakin' Mitchell...

Peter HG, scobb, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  12. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Roger that.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  13. greasepaint

greasepaint Loser's game.

A 15% off code worked for me when I ordered as a "guest" (don't have a Rhino account). CC24WMX15 Fingers crossed that it MIGHT still work if tried. Used the clunky Microsoft Edge browser. Purchased the Little Feat, "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" set (June release) so that the total wound up being a bit more than a C note, which kicked in free shipping. Have no clue when this stuff will arrive but sure gives me something to look forward to. Don't have an ATMOS set up, but the quad mixes of the Joni gems should be a blast.

goodboyfred likes this.
  14. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Could we have a European/UK store al la Neil Young's greedy hand store ?

SimonCH, zobalob and MagmaHawk like this.
  15. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

I'm surprised it's not available at the Dig! Store.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Early reports are that the quad mix of Miles of Aisles is wonderfully executed with band placed somewhat around you the listener. Making you feel and sense that you too could join in the playing on additional percussion. Many live recordings when mixed in 4.0 or 5.1, etc. have allocated the rear or surround speaker channels strictly for ambient and audience sounds only. Lucky for us this is not one of those cases.

I hope this box set does really well and keeps the immersive surround format releases on Rhino coming at a continued steady pace. It’s been really fun in the last 10 months in particular - with Joni Mitchell having at least one of the true Crown Jewels (Court and Spark) of the quad mixed masters, and the Atmos mixes with top ratings in this box set.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

CC24WMX15 worked for me ($12)

greasepaint likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Like creating a modern "mono mix" just to have something to sell (Ramones: Looking at you). It makes no sense, except to package the wine in new bottles. A multi-channel Atmos mix makes sense. But the thing about the old quad mixes is that they're the OLD quad mixes, done at the time of the original release, with (in many cases) the participation of the original team with the original sensibilities. Creating an inferior format quad mix today only makes sense to say "hey, all quad mixes!"

BlueGangsta and supermd like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not as far as we know. Certainly, none were released. There could be an unreleased quad mix from the era (like Miles of Aisles here), but probably not.

Jarleboy and audiomixer like this.
  20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I don't know if Rhino/WB changed the ordering system. But when I ordered the Joni Quadio box - I used that code and it took off the 15% before I logged into my account. When I logged into my account it removed the code and said it could not be used. I assume it is because I had already used that code on my Rhino High Fidelity recent order.

Anyway, the box was supposed to be delivered today according to FedEx, but just left California this morning - so I guess another day or more. That is ok - as I have so much RSD product to listen to, as well as Ole and Tutu on RHF vinyl that showed yesterday - I can wait.

RubenH likes this.
  21. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Damn, I had purchased the regular non-Quadio box version only last month... but it being Joni Mitchell, I went ahead with this new release as well. I missed out on the RSD Talking Heads WCOZ and was unwilling to pay over $80 on the secondary market. With the Rhino promo, it's mine for $82. I do hope it lives up to the hype (sonically, not musically).

22. theaveragecoffee

theaveragecoffee Forum Resident

Wow. Do you guys think the quad mixes will differ substantially from the Atmos mixes on Apple Music?

23. glowtone

glowtone Forum Resident

Got mine today! These appear to be authored differently than the other Quadios (at least the ones I've gotten). Instead of being able to switch audio tracks with the different colored remote buttons, you can only move between Atmos/Quad/Stereo via the menu. They default to Atmos, then Quad, then stereo. So, if your main music setup doesn't have a TV attached to it (mine doesn't), it's not quite as easy to get to the different versions.

greasepaint and supermd like this.
  24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

That store seems to think everyone wants vinyl, rather than superior multichannel discs.

MagmaHawk and zobalob like this.
  25. MagmaHawk

MagmaHawk Well-Known Member

Now I was very brave a few moments ago and ordered direct from Rhino this set and the WAR quadio disc.
    Shipping is to Europe and paid by creditcard and now have to be patient.

Everything has to be a first time :):D :agree:

Usually I am a very patient person !

quicksrt likes this.