Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I’ve just ordered it to the uk postage of $16 , it may well turn up on dig but then again it may not, so ordered, didn’t know this was due but happy to read this and an instant order , also try the code above !!

Beaneydave likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Mine arrived today in perfect condition!
    Looking forward to sampling the contents. :agree:

DrJ and quicksrt like this.
  3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Cheers I’ve done the same. Can you give me confidence

Wayne C likes this.
  4. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

with that code it cancelled out the postage practically , I would think that if it does make it to the Joni euro store or dig, it will be significantly more expensive than we have paid for it from US?, even with the dollar been stronger at the moment. I don’t have multi channel but I want the high res stereo of this hopefully it will be 24/96 or above.

SimonCH and Beaneydave like this.
  5. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Hello could you kindly provide the stereo resolution please that’s all I’m interested in as I haven’t got the room for all those speakers !!.

SimonCH likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I believe all Quadio releases are 24/192kHz.

SimonCH, audiomixer and Wayne C like this.
  7. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

that’s even better!!.

SimonCH and audiomixer like this.
  8. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I agree ,my first reply should have read “ you have given me confidence” ! never walk & type at the same time !

peace and love✌Dave

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Mine should arrive today

quicksrt likes this.
  10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Negative.

Yes, the quad mixes are very different. The Atmos mixes are the same as the ones on Apple Music but in lossless quality.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

All I can say is God bless Rhino for continuing to support physical media! They've really been cranking out the new products this year.

12. whateverok

whateverok Well-Known Member

I just found out about this release and would love to dive into the Quadio area for the first time. However, I am a little unsure. Can these releases only be played on a 4K/Blu-ray player at home? Or can they be played on a regular portable CD as well? It's not a big deal, but I wanted to check before ordering. I've got an NPS* (in August) that I am saving up for and am trying to curb my spending. Plus, I've got the Cracked Rear View and Jagged Little Pill Dolby Atmos releases on my radar as well.

*It's a bit personal and could be TMI, but I will clarify if asked.

13. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

You need a blu ray player, an AVR with HDMI inputs, and four speakers minimum.
    All these things can be found used, cheaply & easily, when you're ready to go for it.
    The discs will always be available somewhere as well.
    Take your time, good luck with your health.

gregorya likes this.
  14. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

If funds are limited you might try going to a thrift shop and get a Blu-ray player.

15. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Kinda curious how surround mixes work when a song is just one voice and one instrument

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

One approach might be placing the vocal in center speaker with a very light touch of reverb of that vocal in L&R speakers. Please the one instrument in L&R only. Place a very light touch of reverb of that one instrument in both of the L&R surround or rear speakers adding depth to the soundstage. That is just one way of doing it.

downloadsofist likes this.
  17. audiomixer

I don't think so...

18. Tristero

I'm looking forward to getting mine later this week and I'll be curious to hear the reviews here. With the exception of half of the live album, most of the arrangements on these albums are pretty richly detailed, so they should flourish with the surround presentation. I don't have an Atmos set up, but I imagine I could still play a downmix of that in 5.1, right? Very curious to hear the vintage quad mixes as well.

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I don't know what happened, but my Quadio box was on target to be delivered earlier this week - but now it has been sitting in "Shipment exception" since Tuesday at 2:00pm ET - due to weather delay. Does anyone know of bad weather in the west/midwest? According to Fedex a delivery date will be added once the package starts moving again, which indicates to me it is stuck somewhere - but where since the last track it left Bloomington CA at 12:49am on Tuesday - but then was excepted at 2pm.

20. audiomixer

Yours got delivered to my house. Now I have two of them!;)

gregorya likes this.
  21. whateverok

Oh, I've got all that. Heck, I have a 4K TV, a 4K Blu-ray player, a receiver, and a properly installed 7.1 surround sound speaker system capable of playing Dolby Atmos mixes. That's not it all. And my health is fine. The NPS is a nude photo shoot I'm trying to save up for in August. I have the means to play and buy. I just wanted to see if this release can be played on a regular CD player. It's not a big deal if it can't.

andycherry and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  22. whateverok

As mentioned, I have all the equipment necessary to play this release. I am all about physical media and rather old school. I'm so old school in fact that I still use Sony Discmans whenever I am out of the house. I'm just trying to save up for a nude photo shoot and don't want to get into my old habits of spending everything to where I cannot do the shoot.

23. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

My mistake.
    At my age, in my crowd, personal TMI is usually health related.
    NPS was a mystery, but now that it's revealed, it would certainly cost me a fortune to convince anyone to shoot nude photos of me. :hide:

andycherry likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wow, this is already released. Gotta love an announcement followed by release one week later. I wish more releases were like this.

25. Tristero

Bizarre. I'm not aware of any particularly severe weather that would cause a delay like this. My own Fedex shipping link has been useless this week, keeps giving me a "try back later" error.