Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Apr 18, 2024.

1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy started moving again - last scan was in Indianapolis, Indiana - with a delivery date of tomorrow - Sat 4/27.

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

This Joni box set is astonishing! Brand new 192k stereo mixes, the original QUADIO 4 channel mixes, Dolby Digital True HD high res 5.1 mixes & Dolby Atmos surround mixes. The surround mixes add to entirely different experience for each album. All clean sounding & balanced. Kudos to Joni, her remixing engineers & to Rhino for bringing out what might be “the box set” to own in 2024.

JDeanB, DrJ, RAZORMADE and 2 others like this.
  3. greasepaint

greasepaint Loser's game.

Good to know there is a 5.1 option. Don't think the Rhino info flagged that.

My expectation would be that with respect to the Quad mixes an AVR's (almost entry level Yammy in my case) bass management would route low frequencies to a subwoofer if you have one.

Thanks for the info. Mine is supposed to arrive first of next week.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. glowtone

glowtone Forum Resident

I only have a 2-channel mid-fi system, and the mixdowns of both the Atmos and Quad versions sound incredible via my lil' ol' Oppo. The Atmos For the Roses is the sleeper champion for me so far. I can only imagine that the full Atmos/Quad mixes are even more incredible.

SimonCH, quicksrt, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Thanks for that code--just worked for me. Basically paid for the shipping and tax. Looked around for something to get me to the $100 free-shipping level, but couldn't find anything else I wanted. Oh well, having to get to $100 for free shipping is pretty ridiculous anyway...

greasepaint likes this.
  6. audiomixer

Yes, they are.

7. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Are you sure they're brand new stereo mixes? Aren't they the Bernie Grundman remasters from the CD box set transferred at 24/192?

zobalob likes this.
  8. audiomixer

That’s a possibility although his name is not mentioned on the Rhino website. I’ll check the liner notes.

9. MikeT

My box set just showed up, and it is a beautiful package with recreated album covers. I have the latest LP box set that this set mirrors, but regardless, now I have quad and atmos. I have yet to play the discs, and I know Miles of Aisles is a double LP. But I am curious why I received two Blu-Ray discs for Miles of Aisles, one in the inside flap of the mini-LP opening, and one on the outside opening of the "gatefold". For all intents and purposes they look to be exactly the same disc. Did anyone else get their box like this?

If so, I guess Rhino was going all out in recreating the LP set in that even though Miles of Aisles is a 2 LP set, so you get 2 of the same blu-ray just to be consistent with the recreation.

Obviously, I haven't listened to the discs yet, so they could actually be LP1 and LP2 recreated on separate blu-ray discs.

10. audiomixer

Nope. I only got one disc for "Miles Of Aisles".

11. MikeT

Nevermind. I am stupid (not really, but maybe - LOL). I only got one disc - where you can retrieve it from either the inside or outside. I obviously "tricked" myself in thinking that the disc I pulled out from the inside, was a different disc than the one from the outside.

I guess I need to go back to sleep. :o

greasepaint likes this.
  12. audiomixer

:biglaugh:

13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Have ordered, along with the Quadio America Holiday. Quite excited ... that Joni Mitchell set looks stunning.

14. audiomixer

And mostly importantly, it sounds stunning. It's not listed, but for those of you without an Atmos setup, it does contain a Dolby Digital True HD 5.1 mix.

DrJ likes this.
  15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

You're really stoking my excitement here! I got my copy yesterday, but won't have a chance to listen until later this evening - can't wait!

audiomixer likes this.
  16. MikeT

The box states Stereo mastering by Bernie Grundman.

Quad mixes are by Henry Lewy for the existing quad mixes. For the Roses was done by Bruce Botnick since it is a new quad mix.

Atmos mixes by Ken Caillat and Claus Trelby.

Blu-Ray Mastering and Authoring by Craig Anderson and David Dieckman.

17. MikeT

Question - again I may be "stupid" :shh: but I am playing the Quadio mix of "For the Roses" (as I'm listening in order) - and I only see a selection for Dolby Atmos, Quadio and Stereo on the menu. Are you sure each album has a Dolby Digital True HD 5.1.mix?

18. audiomixer

Not a stupid question at all.
    On “Court & Spark” it did. Push the Dolby Atmos selection & on my AVR, I can stroll through the surround options.

19. MikeT

I will try that with For the Roses to see what happens.

audiomixer likes this.
  20. audiomixer

Also, try a direct setting.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Hoping to get this delivered next week...
    But it'll be at least Saturday before I can spin them.

jeffreybh likes this.
  22. MikeT

I only have a 5.1 setup, and I use analog outs on my Oppo 205 into direct analog 5.1 inputs in my AVR.

On "For the Roses" I only get Dolby True HD 7.1 for Dolby Atmos (which is downmixed to 5.1). For Quad I get DTS-HD MA 192 in 4.0. And for stereo - obviously 2.0 DTS-HD MA 192.

So I am at a loss as to whether For the Roses has a dedicated 5.1 Dolby True HD mix. When select Dolby Atmos and select AUDIO on my Oppo remote it only gives me the choice of 7.1 Dolby True HD.

I just put "Court and Spark" into my Oppo - same deal. Dolby Atmos is 7.1, Quad is 4.0 and stereo is 2.0. No dedicated 5.1 mix.

23. audiomixer

Does your AVR decode Dolby Atmos?

24. MikeT

Nope. It is not a new AVR. I love it because it has analog inputs for surround sound. And the Oppo 205 has analog outputs for surround sound. So I can't feed an HDMI signal from the Oppo into the AVR since my AVR is older than that. I use total analog outputs to total analog "direct" inputs and let the Oppo decode the surround signal.

That is why I have other DVD/SACD and Blu-Ray players in storage so I will always have analog outputs into analog inputs. I actually have another AVR I am not using that has two sets of analog inputs for surround sound.

If I ever have to get a new player that doesn't have analog outputs, I am up a creek without a paddle, since a lot of new players only have an HDMI output for surround.

I am not so sure there is a hidden 5.1 mix on the discs - it seems to be your AVR is downmixing the Atmos 5.1 and letting you select that as Dolby Digital 5.1 True HD. Just as the best I can get out of my Oppo is 7.1 Dolby True HD downmixed to 5.1.

Haggis Wampovich and Tristero like this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I like my analog outputs, but the lack of HDMI on my old AVR is a limitation. I'll be curious to hear how the downmixed surround versions sound. Just got my set. :)